Random minor things that appeal to you

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by bhtooefr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Steinherz wrote:I purposely failed Spanish two years in a row in High School so my Junior and Senior years I wouldn't have to take it again (it's not the class, the instructor was a fucking cunt)
I had to pass it to keep my GPA high (had to maintain a high HS GPA to remain eligible for the college classes I was taking at the same time), but holy crap my Spanish teacher was horrible.

And she sucked at the language, too... and it was a language I had no interest in, they just strongly pushed me to take a foreign language, and that was the only one they offered. All I remember is "¿Donde esta el baño?" and "Una cervesa, por favor" (and that one I didn't learn in class, per se), and while those are two very useful phrases... not exactly everything that's needed. In 6th grade, we actually had German, and that's a language I actually liked (and have a bit of a connection to, as both of my parents are roughly half German), but the teacher got promoted out of a teaching role, and the class was dropped... :evil:

I must say, with the little bits of German I remember, and with English being my native language, reading things written in Dutch is strange.

On the topic of this thread... I would have liked a dorm environment (and getting out of my home environment when I was in high school), but at the same time, I probably would've been a bit of a hermit, especially in my senior year of high school (all of my friends had either transferred out back to their home schools, graduated, or ended up in jail, and I wasn't actually taking any classes with anyone, I just stayed in the server room during the school day).

I would have liked a high school where the gender balance was 40/60 male/female, rather than 85/15... that would've helped my anxiety that I still suffer re: interacting with women in a romantic context. (Basically, when there's maybe 3 girls that one interacts with that are at all interesting (and one lives miles from anyone), and it requires lowering one's standards significantly to make it not 0 or 1 (and by "lowering one's standards", I don't mean "lowering them to include Hanako", I mean "lowering them to include Femji" or similar insanity), the cost of failure is much higher, which makes anxiety in that regard far, far worse.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by KeiichiO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 pm

I really liked the walk down the hill to the little town. It made me feel... at peace.

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 am

KeiichiO wrote:I really liked the walk down the hill to the little town. It made me feel... at peace.
Yeah, this was nice, even if there were just one or two backgrounds for it.
I actually liked the wee photos on the menu which built up as you played the game. I suppose it seemed particularly appropriate as playing KS does seem to create memories that stay with you, and photos are another good way of doing that. Couple that with Wiosna playing in the background, and even now the result can be quite intoxicating for me.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
ParagonTerminus
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: A nuclear wasteland

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by ParagonTerminus » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Steinherz wrote:I purposely failed Spanish two years in a row in High School so my Junior and Senior years I wouldn't have to take it again (it's not the class, the instructor was a fucking cunt)
I had to pass it to keep my GPA high (had to maintain a high HS GPA to remain eligible for the college classes I was taking at the same time), but holy crap my Spanish teacher was horrible.

And she sucked at the language, too... and it was a language I had no interest in, they just strongly pushed me to take a foreign language, and that was the only one they offered. All I remember is "¿Donde esta el baño?" and "Una cervesa, por favor" (and that one I didn't learn in class, per se), and while those are two very useful phrases... not exactly everything that's needed. In 6th grade, we actually had German, and that's a language I actually liked (and have a bit of a connection to, as both of my parents are roughly half German), but the teacher got promoted out of a teaching role, and the class was dropped... :evil:

I must say, with the little bits of German I remember, and with English being my native language, reading things written in Dutch is strange.

On the topic of this thread... I would have liked a dorm environment (and getting out of my home environment when I was in high school), but at the same time, I probably would've been a bit of a hermit, especially in my senior year of high school (all of my friends had either transferred out back to their home schools, graduated, or ended up in jail, and I wasn't actually taking any classes with anyone, I just stayed in the server room during the school day).

I would have liked a high school where the gender balance was 40/60 male/female, rather than 85/15... that would've helped my anxiety that I still suffer re: interacting with women in a romantic context. (Basically, when there's maybe 3 girls that one interacts with that are at all interesting (and one lives miles from anyone), and it requires lowering one's standards significantly to make it not 0 or 1 (and by "lowering one's standards", I don't mean "lowering them to include Hanako", I mean "lowering them to include Femji" or similar insanity), the cost of failure is much higher, which makes anxiety in that regard far, far worse.)
My French teacher last year... Dear fucking god.

I got out of her class ASAP, because she was a sexist, screaming, insane banshee of a woman.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by Potato » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Probably all his entertainment preferences are in Japanese. :lol:
That one, moreso. Games, manga, anime... hentai, all of them are in Japanese, and some of them don't have translations available.
:lol: Fair enough. If only subtitles came default...

I wish we'd seen more of that little town...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
linkoid
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Planet Ursania of the Ursa Major solar system

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by linkoid » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:36 am

That they never gave the Nurse a name.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:37 am

linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
My vote is that Nurse literally is his name.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3537
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by brythain » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:58 am

SpunkySix wrote:
linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
My vote is that Nurse literally is his name.
The word 'nurse' in Japanese can be literally translated 'watcher'. I tend to think of Yamaku as this weird place where Giles from BtVS and Doctor Who look after the kids. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:39 am

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
My vote is that Nurse literally is his name.
The word 'nurse' in Japanese can be literally translated 'watcher'. I tend to think of Yamaku as this weird place where Giles from BtVS and Doctor Who look after the kids. :D
Would it be a stretch to say that if he was a watcher, he was also a Looker?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Forever_ambivalent
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by Forever_ambivalent » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:05 am

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
My vote is that Nurse literally is his name.
The word 'nurse' in Japanese can be literally translated 'watcher'. I tend to think of Yamaku as this weird place where Giles from BtVS and Doctor Who look after the kids. :D
Well Doctor Who does look after the kids in Yamaku... Although he changed his name.

User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by Munchenhausen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:41 am

linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
Pretty sure Hisao notices he has a name on his door or desk or something... apart from that, no name is ever mentioned :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2904
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by Oddball » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:58 am

Munchenhausen wrote:
linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
Pretty sure Hisao notices he has a name on his door or desk or something... apart from that, no name is ever mentioned :lol:
Yeah. Nurse even says "you can call me by my name or just call me Nurse like everyone else does," (not the exact quote, but close enough.)
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3537
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by brythain » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:23 am

Oddball wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
linkoid wrote:That they never gave the Nurse a name.
Pretty sure Hisao notices he has a name on his door or desk or something... apart from that, no name is ever mentioned :lol:
Yeah. Nurse even says "you can call me by my name or just call me Nurse like everyone else does," (not the exact quote, but close enough.)
That's why I decided his name must be a pun of some sort, because it would suit his sense of humour—something like 'Kango'. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Random minor things that appeal to you

Post by Potato » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:23 pm

I just assume his name is Doctor.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

Post Reply