Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CharcoalWhite

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by CharcoalWhite »

Today I found out that I am going to graduate. I would like to thank anyone who posted here during my episode of distress, your kind words definitely helped.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

CharcoalWhite wrote:Today I found out that I am going to graduate. I would like to thank anyone who posted here during my episode of distress, your kind words definitely helped.
Honestly, the biggest grin I've had all week just spread across my face reading this. Congrats on that, enjoy college (or uni or wherever it is) :D
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

CharcoalWhite wrote:Today I found out that I am going to graduate. I would like to thank anyone who posted here during my episode of distress, your kind words definitely helped.
Congrats man...

As for myself? FML. I know, first world problems but still not fun:

I'm about to graduate with a BSc. Computer Science. Had enough of the traditional 'lecture, work class, practicals, homework plus a few exams' per course. Looking around at various CS-related masters, found Software Engineering that was going to launch a pilot track that does lectures and projects. Only one year, still English but all masters in Computer Science field are English anyway... Enrolled, got accepted on condition of passing an additional course, distance from where I live is long so public transport takes ages (remember that the Netherlands is relatively tiny? Almost everything is commutable but public transport does suck :P ) so looked for an apartment, found one that was at the top end of what I can afford but brand new, self sufficient (no shared kitchen or bathroom, all private) and only fifteen mins cycling distance to uni. Signed the lease for it a month ago, would receive the keys in two weeks.

Now the clincher: Yesterday I received an email that due to 'staffing problems' the track got cancelled... *@#@*#@*#@#*#!@!@*

Leaving me the following options:
- I can switch to a research / analysis track of Software Engineering [Not my cup of tea, I actually want to move away from theoretical/research to practical, applying what I learn in significant projects rather than tiny assignments]
- I can try to get into another master elsewhere [Elsewhere all masters are 2 years, still English, also theoretical/research and not really practical despite some promising lab work which probably equals what I already had so far in my bachelor, no thanks]
- Don't do a master [This comes with a downside: I'd have to cancel the lease on the apartment since I wouldn't be a student anymore and the lease is tied to being a student, which would cost me about twice the monthly rent. Same issue with studying elsewhere, would have to cancel lease and again twice the rent]

I don't have ages to decide either, the sooner I decide the better. So annoying that they cancelled the track so late... FML. Atm leaning towards not doing a master because frankly I'd lack the passion to keep at it for another two years of mostly boring English lectures (hassle to deal with in terms of interpreters) etc, while I'd rather actually spend my time on working on larger scale projects rather than returning to microprojects :/
Potato

Post by Potato »

Kutagh wrote:
Congrats man...

I'm about to graduate with a BSc. Computer Science. Had enough of the traditional 'lecture, work class, practicals, homework plus a few exams' per course. Looking around at various CS-related masters, found Software Engineering that was going to launch a pilot track that does lectures and projects. Only one year, still English but all masters in Computer Science field are English anyway... Enrolled, got accepted on condition of passing an additional course, distance from where I live is long so public transport takes ages (remember that the Netherlands is relatively tiny? Almost everything is commutable but public transport does suck :P ) so looked for an apartment, found one that was at the top end of what I can afford but brand new, self sufficient (no shared kitchen or bathroom, all private) and only fifteen mins cycling distance to uni. Signed the lease for it a month ago, would receive the keys in two weeks.

Now the clincher: Yesterday I received an email that due to 'staffing problems' the track got cancelled... *@#@*#@*#@#*#!@!@*

- I can switch to a research / analysis track of Software Engineering [Not my cup of tea, I actually want to move away from theoretical/research to practical, applying what I learn in significant projects rather than tiny assignments]
- I can try to get into another master elsewhere [Elsewhere all masters are 2 years, still English, also theoretical/research and not really practical despite some promising lab work which probably equals what I already had so far in my bachelor, no thanks]
- Don't do a master [This comes with a downside: I'd have to cancel the lease on the apartment since I wouldn't be a student anymore and the lease is tied to being a student, which would cost me about twice the monthly rent. Same issue with studying elsewhere, would have to cancel lease and again twice the rent]

I don't have ages to decide either, the sooner I decide the better. So annoying that they cancelled the track so late... FML. Atm leaning towards not doing a master because frankly I'd lack the passion to keep at it for another two years of mostly boring English lectures (hassle to deal with in terms of interpreters) etc, while I'd rather actually spend my time on working on larger scale projects rather than returning to microprojects :/
If staying with it would kill the passion you have for it, I wouldn't stay with it.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
CharcoalWhite

Post by CharcoalWhite »

Kutagh wrote:
Congrats man...

Well that sucks. I wish I had some advice to give, but I really have no idea what to say. I just hope everything works out for the best.
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Sorry to derail the discussion (I hail from a forum where that's an unfortunate commodity), but here goes:

My story on KS rather a painful one for myself.

I initially found it through a friend offering to buy me PAYDAY 2 if I played a path in the game. At first I was strongly against it since I'm not a VN type of guy, so I ignored his proposal for about a year or so.

And then things really went south. See, there was this girl I had liked for over a year, and when I finally grew the courage to admit my feelings to her, it didn't go down too well. One thing led to another, and everything I though I had built over the course of the time I knew her collapsed over the course of a couple of weeks. It wasn't the brutal rejection I was unable to cope with; it was the terrible social mess I had gotten myself into; me and this girl were many social echelons apart. To add onto that, I wasn't on very good terms with everyone in the first place, so I had basically given them unlimited ammunition.

Anyways, I sailed into depression at high speed. The friend who had offered to give me PAYDAY 2 in exchange for a KS path offered it again, and this time I relented. Robbing banks is a great way of releasing frustration, and at least this way it was legal. So, I started playing KS and got onto Hanako's path.

What followed is an experience I'll never forget.

At first I felt happy; I liked the game, it engaged me, and it was much like an adult picture book. As I played more and more, I found myself at times both deeply depressed and very happy; depressed at never being able to attain the perfection that was Hanako, and happiness at having experienced it, even in a virtual fashion.

I still find it pathetic to admit that I fell in love with a virtual sprite, but while it's pathetic, it cured me of my depression. I suddenly knew exactly what type of person I would fall in love with, and while I could care less about the Hanako plot, the Hanako character healed me.

And for that, I'm grateful. Thanks, cpl_crud.

Oh, unrelated topic:

Hi! I'm new to the forums, so... Yeah. Hi.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Thursday evening the girl I've been seeing dumped me by text (we'd planned to go out Saturday), saying she was couldn't continue dating me due to several issues in her life demanding more attention: being forced to move out of her apt, changing jobs. BS or not, it sucks because we'd had our best date yet last Friday, and things seemed to be looking up after a number of setbacks and delays due to poor health on her part. We wished each other well and the very small part of me that is actually positive about things prods me in the kidney and reminds me that she deleted her OKCupid account recently, so maybe she really is withdrawing from the pool so to speak.

What's a bit of a bummer is I might have carried on dating a previous girl a bit longer had I not met this one. Things with her weren't perfect - her WoW guild's raids took priority over me and things *ahem* weren't always amazing in the bedroom - but generally we had a good time. If she'd wanted to do more stuff and not complained so much it would've been better. As it stood, the onus was always on me to suggest things to do and make contact; so after our last date had her stumped for what to do after dinner and then complaining all the way to my place how far it was and how long it would take her to get home later, I left the ball in her court to get in touch to suggest our next event, and she never did.

Forever alone?
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Heh, you at least GOT girlfriends. ;_;

Oh well, at least I have my purple-haired waifu <3
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:several issues in her life demanding more attention: being forced to move out of her apt, changing jobs.
...I'm reminded of people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time...Dunno why either of these would necessitate more than maybe a prolonged period between dates. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Changing jobs would have meant moving out of the city, possibly a long way, because there was nothing in her field around here.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:Changing jobs would have meant moving out of the city, possibly a long way, because there was nothing in her field around here.
Oh, well. Still, by text? Lame.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

It's the 21st century, everyone texts now. It's how I (and most people I know) communicate with everyone my personal life except my parents, who still use voice calls. A lot of dating sites are now changing their guidelines to reflect the fact that texting is now widely accepted as a form of communication by society in general.

She gave me the dignity of a polite explanation, so I've accepted it. Getting angry or rude would accomplish nothing.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

It's the 21st century, everyone texts now.
I don't.
Not Dead Yet
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

ParagonTerminus wrote:Sorry to derail the discussion (I hail from a forum where that's an unfortunate commodity), but here goes:
Welcome to the forums (man, I still need to get back into FTL, but I digress). Everybody has their own way of getting over their difficulties. I guess it paid off since you get out of your funk AND got PAYDAY 2 though, haha. :lol: It sure helps having at least one good friend around.
metalangel wrote:Forever alone?
I would like to think forever alone as either by yourself or with other people, in that you can be alone together. That way it doesn't get me down. It's just a matter of fact. As for the whole breakup by text thing, I have no comment. I hope things turn out better the next time around for you.

As for me right now, I'm still readjusting to the fact one career path went down the drain (biology degree) and I'm trying to get myself out of the gutter (learning programming). The whole "pursuing a relationship" has been put on hold for that reason among others (like still dealing with that GAD that I've had all my life and the depression that comes with it, haha). I've got enough on my plate right now, don't need to add more that I can't possibly handle. Once I get a steady job, that may change, but that ain't happening anytime soon.
[fahsign]Velitation[/fahsign] Remember, it's just a game.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Even in this era of everyone texting (I rarely do, however - screw typing on a crappy on-screen keyboard (yes, even Google Keyboard with the Swype-clone is crappy), and screw buying some ancient piece of crap with badly skinned Android 2.3 or 4.0 to have a real keyboard), it's incredibly crass to dump someone over text.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!