Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bhtooefr

Re: Daddy? Why Doesn't Mommy Have Arms?

Post by bhtooefr »

Fun fact: Shizune is actually, on a genetic basis, the worst for Hisao to have a kid with.

(Apparently congenital deafness is a risk factor for long QT. And, depending on how her mother left the picture, sudden death before the age of 30 in the family is another even more major risk factor. That would also make Lilly a poor choice (seeing as Mayoi's from the Satou side), although not as bad as Shizune (and it's immediate family, so it's less of a risk factor for Lilly anyway).)

In any case, I'm thinking Lilly and Emi would be the most devastated by finding out that diagnosis. Emi would at least know how to deal with it, though, and might be OK.

Shizune would give very few fucks, Rin would give zero fucks (or be disappointed that her kid didn't have a problem that she hadn't already collected).

Hanako would be the one to actually have a normal reaction (that is, hurt, but still functional) to finding that one out, I think.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Fun fact: Shizune is actually, on a genetic basis, the worst for Hisao to have a kid with.

(Apparently congenital deafness is a risk factor for long QT. And, depending on how her mother left the picture, sudden death before the age of 30 in the family is another even more major risk factor. That would also make Lilly a poor choice (seeing as Mayoi's from the Satou side), although not as bad as Shizune (and it's immediate family, so it's less of a risk factor for Lilly anyway).)

In any case, I'm thinking Lilly and Emi would be the most devastated by finding out that diagnosis. Emi would at least know how to deal with it, though, and might be OK.

Shizune would give very few fucks, Rin would give zero fucks (or be disappointed that her kid didn't have a problem that she hadn't already collected).

Hanako would be the one to actually have a normal reaction (that is, hurt, but still functional) to finding that one out, I think.
Nothing wrong with its tackle then, doc? Darn.

That's interesting with deafness as a risk factor, I had no idea. Any idea why?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Apparently one of the forms of LQTS causes deafness, and that's why it's a diagnostic criteria, apparently.

So, actually, it'd depend on why Shizune's deaf.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Atario

Post by Atario »

bhtooefr wrote:congenital deafness is a risk factor for long QT
We don't know it's congenital.

Also, I don't know why no one has yet pointed out that all the other animals manage to nurse their young without being able to hold them. No reason Rin couldn't do it the same way…

NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:[...] Rin would give zero fucks (or be disappointed that her kid didn't have a problem that she hadn't already collected) [...]
Nothing wrong with its tackle then, doc? Darn.
Am I the only one who thought of David Reimer after reading that?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

Steinherz wrote:
Now imagine if one of her future child's classmates started bullying them. "Oh shit, Mom" doesn't cut it. A pissed-off Mama Bear is a very scary thing, and it's doubtful that Hanako would allow that to continue since she knows what it was like (I am now imagining Hanako flipping shit at an eight-year-old with Hisao trying in vain to get her to calm down :lol: )
I'm imagining it then a teacher steps in, hanako gives him a dirt look at he just backs away slowly, leaving her to rip into the little shit who was bullying the kid who can't play sports
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
Potato

Post by Potato »

These things would be sad...Except these things are the way it's always been. Shizune never hearing her child's voice wouldn't be any different than...Well, Shizune never hearing anyone's voice. Why would she suddenly be sad about it?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Potato wrote:These things would be sad...Except these things are the way it's always been. Shizune never hearing her child's voice wouldn't be any different than...Well, Shizune never hearing anyone's voice. Why would she suddenly be sad about it?
I have a cousin who is deaf, she had the same attitude as Shizune, and most deaf people. Which is, like you said "Its always been this way, whats the difference now? Myself and her older sister (And her husband) are the only three people I know of in her close family who can do BSL, and when her Husband was unable to attend her kids first "Play" in primary school, she asked me to come and translate for her, I did happily of course, but then something happened that tore me apart, when her kid was on doing a little solo, she asked me what she sounded like, I responded with [Amazing for someone so young, shes incredible.] And with that she almost broke into tears, the only thing she responded with was [I cant imagine what she sounds like, I hate it. It hurts]

Man, most emotional thing thats happened to me in fucking years.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Hanako and Lilly would probably be the ones who would be effected the most.
Shizune is a very strong person and I doubt that she would be too discouraged about not being able to listen to her child or anything of the sort. I wonder what is the earliest age a child can learn sign language? Shizune wouldn't be very happy communicating with her child for a few years if she has to communicate through Hisao every time.
I can imagine Shizune being very proud of her child though.
I don't think Rin would be affected by it much. She doesn't seem to mind her lack of arms much and is working hard to be able to function ordinarily even without arms. By the time she has a child she probably already knows how to do take care of her child and can take care of it relatively well without her arms. Although Hisao would probably take over the mother role as I would think that Rin would be too busy with work to take care of her child constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if Hisao and Rin manage to live off Rin's paintings and that Hisao would just become a house husband.

Lilly would need to be extremely careful while moving about. Just imagine all the toys that could be strewn around the floor and the crazy possibility of stepping on the toddler . Although Lilly and Hisao would probably come back home at around the same time due to them both most probably becoming teachers so I doubt that many problems would actually occur. Lilly would be quite upset about not being able to see her child I imagine. I think that out of all the girls Lilly would be the most affected by her physical disability by a mile.

Hanako would be a very overprotective parent. Even if her child isn't being bullied, imagine how worried she would be. Every night she would go crazy thinking about the worst possible scenarios. Paranoia is a really terrifying and unpleasant thing and will keep you up all night. Although Hisao's presence would probably help a lot. Maybe I'm just exaggerating stuff because of my own experiences. Imagine if her child sees her burnt half of her face and says "why is half your face so ugly mommy?" or something along those lines. Probably (hopefully) wouldn't happen but Hanako would go through a lot of pain after that I imagine. Yea Hanako would probably go through the the most distress over her child because of her own experiences as a child.
imagine how the child's classmates would react when they see Hanako's face. I would think it could be quite negative. I find Hanako's scars beautiful though. Scars tell a story and I love a person with some history. I wonder how Hanako would react if one of her child's friend told her that he/she loves her scars and found the beautiful.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Potato wrote:These things would be sad...Except these things are the way it's always been. Shizune never hearing her child's voice wouldn't be any different than...Well, Shizune never hearing anyone's voice. Why would she suddenly be sad about it?
I have a cousin who is deaf, she had the same attitude as Shizune, and most deaf people. Which is, like you said "Its always been this way, whats the difference now? Myself and her older sister (And her husband) are the only three people I know of in her close family who can do BSL, and when her Husband was unable to attend her kids first "Play" in primary school, she asked me to come and translate for her, I did happily of course, but then something happened that tore me apart, when her kid was on doing a little solo, she asked me what she sounded like, I responded with [Amazing for someone so young, shes incredible.] And with that she almost broke into tears, the only thing she responded with was [I cant imagine what she sounds like, I hate it. It hurts]

N'aaw... that made me sad. Was she okay after that?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

SpunkySix wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:

N'aaw... that made me sad. Was she okay after that?
Yeah, I helped teach her kid bsl from a pretty young age, but that was still the first time I've ever seen her sad about her condition.

She's happy now though, being able to talk to her family really changed a lot.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Forever_ambivalent wrote: I wonder what is the earliest age a child can learn sign language? Shizune wouldn't be very happy communicating with her child for a few years if she has to communicate through Hisao every time.
Babysign is ASL adapted for infants, they can communicate through it before they are capable of forming words vocally. It's of great relief to the child and parent alike to be able to understand one another (no more changing diaper, feeding and trying everything else). You can start teaching a baby at about six months.

Deaf parents have managed to raise children just fine for millenia.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Yea, too much text for me,
Atario

Post by Atario »

CoffeeDrive wrote:with that she almost broke into tears, the only thing she responded with was [I cant imagine what she sounds like, I hate it. It hurts]
Well… shit. Now I'm sad. :(
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Can't catch up