I'm surprised this game has no associated creepy pasta

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

I'm surprised this game has no associated creepy pasta

Post by SpunkySix »

It seems like a prime target. Let's see here:

-Video game? Yes.

-Dealing with tragedy and sorrow, yet largely innocent enough to be corrupted? Mmmhm.

-Has a part where the hero can die built into it? Yep.

-Just obscure enough to be unsettling yet somehow more believable to discover a warped version of it? Yeah.

And as far as I can tell, nothing. What the hell Internet? Get your collective shit together. Even Bubsy 3D has at least one. It's a troll pasta, but still.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
KeiichiO

Re: I'm surprised this game has no associated creepy pasta

Post by KeiichiO »

Hmmm. I've never thought about that... I'm a pretty big fan of creepy pasta, (Excluding to super popular, yet subpar ones like Jeff The Killer, the numerous Slender Man stories, the countless lost episode/haunted game cartridge stories, etc...) so I'm not sure why I've never pondered about a possible KS story. Now that the idea is in my mind, I can kinda see how it could work... It'd have to be handled well, or else it would suffer the same fate as the many other crappy pastas.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Nurs pull me into his ofice
"Im sory hisoa I have bad news"
"No"
"You have an entre skellington insidee u"
And then a skellington popped out

Seriously though, I'm on the same level as KeiichiO here. It could be done pretty well, especially considering Yamaku's predicted mortality rate compared to normal schools.
That, and the fact that a large number of the students are already horribly disfigured.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
d2r

Post by d2r »

The way I see it, the problem is that most of the creepypasta videogame tropes you could apply to the game have been done to death.

I like to think an ideal creepypasta version would involve seeing the heretofore unseen Lilly bad end, which would play out in true KS style (that is, it's just an unpleasant breakup with no gore, evil demon etc.) feeding into silent credits. Except when you're done, the game crashes and the data becomes corrupt, forcing you to download another copy. But when you do, it's just a normal copy without the extra ending you just saw.

Your curiosity stoked, you find these forums and ask around. "What bad end?" you are told. She has no bad end; only a neutral. You are confused. Everything you've seen indicates that what you saw does not exist. Yet you saw it. You KNOW you saw it; that it was not a dream. The fact that you saw what was not there eats at you, slowly, despite the fact that there was no gore or "hyper-realistic" detail or evil spirit. Just a bad break-up that, by all accounts, should not have been. Slowly, curiosity drives you into obsession and madness.

Such, at any rate, is how I'd handle a creepypasta for the game.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

What would a KS creepy pasta be like? I haven't read any creepy pastas but I can guess a creepy pasta of KS would be like White Day: A Labyrinth Named School.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

d2r should write these for a living, I felt my heart rate slightly rise just reading that o.O
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

brythain

Post by brythain »

The closest I ever got to writing creepy pasta was not particularly creepy. However, it creeped out a lot of people who'd been following my actual fanfic.

You can find it here.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Mute

Post by Mute »

Beta Hanako's bad endings are quite like creepypastas. In all seriousness, it is a little surprising that this game doesn't have a creepypasta..
You just lost the game.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Just as well. Creepypastas are awful.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:Just as well. Creepypastas are awful.
Have you read every single one? Yes, a lot of them are horrid, but that's because anyone can write them. It's not fair to say creepypastas as a whole are awful, when there are quite a good amount of excellently written tales that are truly chilling, and addictive. Some are so great, I'd compare them to Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. Some I can even see as short films.

Let's just put it this way. There are creepypastas, and there are crappypastas. There's a outstanding abundance of crappypastas written by emo 12-year-olds who think they're deep, but really, they have no knowledge of the real world, but if you look hard enough, you'll find some amazing reads that really make you think. One even left such an impact on me, that I even shed tears a few times during the read.

My point is, you shouldn't judge things as a whole. It's like saying yogurt sucks just because you don't like the banana flavor. There are other flavors out there that you could enjoy.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I've read some good ones, but they're very few and far between. For the most part though, I just have trouble taking them seriously.

Partially because they're called Creepy Pastas. Was that seriously the best name they could come up with? Garfield's Tales of Scary Stuff is more intimidating.
Not Dead Yet
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Oddball wrote:I've read some good ones, but they're very few and far between. For the most part though, I just have trouble taking them seriously.

Partially because they're called Creepy Pastas. Was that seriously the best name they could come up with? Garfield's Tales of Scary Stuff is more intimidating.
I agree. It is a pretty silly name. Before I was into the whole fad, whenever I'd see the words "creepy pasta", I could only think of this:
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

KeiichiO wrote:
Potato wrote:Just as well. Creepypastas are awful.
Have you read every single one? Yes, a lot of them are horrid, but that's because anyone can write them. It's not fair to say creepypastas as a whole are awful, when there are quite a good amount of excellently written tales that are truly chilling, and addictive. Some are so great, I'd compare them to Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. Some I can even see as short films.

Let's just put it this way. There are creepypastas, and there are crappypastas. There's a outstanding abundance of crappypastas written by emo 12-year-olds who think they're deep, but really, they have no knowledge of the real world, but if you look hard enough, you'll find some amazing reads that really make you think. One even left such an impact on me, that I even shed tears a few times during the read.

My point is, you shouldn't judge things as a whole. It's like saying yogurt sucks just because you don't like the banana flavor. There are other flavors out there that you could enjoy.
There are indeed some fine creepypastas out there, you just need to know how to look.

and the subject of KS creepypastas, I don't really see how it could work, maybe something about hidden content or something
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Potato

Post by Potato »

KeiichiO wrote:excellently written tales that are truly chilling
Name ten.

As for KS...I dunno, Emi's running blades would probably be haunted or some "creepy" thing like that. :roll:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:excellently written tales that are truly chilling
Name ten.
NoEnd House, Penpal, Yellow Raincoat, The Clown the paint and the turbines, Swallow, Fenter Woods, String Theory, Solipsism, The Devil's Footprints, XoRaX, Kagome Kagome, The Showers, Violets, The Midnight Man, Binary DNA, The Pocket, The Dating Game, The Couch, The Thing that Stalks The Fields, Enjoy Your Stay, The Seven Deadly Sins, Tulpa, Gateway to the Mind, Emma,The Voice, The Girl in the Photograph, Hands, By the Edge of the Water, The Strangest Security Tape I've Ever Seen, and others that I can't recall the names of.
Last edited by KeiichiO on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.