Emi ending (spoilers for days)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pandas

Re: Emi ending (spoilers for days)

Post by Pandas »

@Mirage,
I realize you're voicing your opinions, but saying things like
"I wonder if you've ever been in a relationship let alone a relationship with a girl who has emotional problems"
Is quite rude.
I'm in a relationship as we speak going on a year and 5 months.
Not long or anything but still a relationship. And yes I realize girls blow up. But Emi does it alot and seems to be very intense about it all. And yes, i've also been in a relationship with a girl with emotional issues.

As for it being the "most real" i agree. And i'm not sure why you put "you have been warned". But aside from that.
I think your part is mostly true.
What we see in people is completely from the perspective of us and the fact that you may love Emi as a personality, not everyone does. Very interesting points though.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm not sure why it should be rude. I don't know anything about your relationship status (nor am I terribly interested in it), and since you seemed to not be able to empathize with Emi's reactions at all, this seemed like a reasonable assumption.
I never claimed this for a fact - just that I was wondering if it might be the case.
What we see in people is completely from the perspective of us and the fact that you may love Emi as a personality, not everyone does.
I try not to fall in love with fictional characters, and so far I've been succeeding ;-)
I still appreciate her characterization, though.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Pandas wrote:Why do people like Emi so much? I just finished her ending and it made me angry and it was very nonsensical.

You begin running with her blah blah blah.
She eventually starts pushing you away. Hisao stays with her through it all.
You get invited to her house and she kicks you out for one of two reasons
She thinks her mom broke her promise, or because you try to HELP her.

Then after awhile everything just "Okay" after she thinks about it. You go back and visit her dad, she says shes sorry and she tells you her sorry.
You go home and she says sorry again. More abrupt and totally nonsensical sex scenes. Then she says she loves you. She falls asleep.
You wake up and you talk to each other.
The final line is
"What do you want me to do now?"
Is that a sexual reference?
I'm so mind fucked. Maybe i'm stupid, but for now i'm angry.
She's a straight up bitchface or weeks.
Then she kicks you out for helping.
Then she tells you her story and comes up with some bad excuse and says sorry.
And Hisao is just... OKAY with that?
Oh, boy! She had sex with you and you guys slept together?
Who cares? She ignored you for so long and then is still rude, not even acknowledging the fact that you've been apart for a few weeks and kicks you out.
Someone told me to do the Emi storyline and i'll be really angry at her unemotional zombie state.
And this person was far more than correct.
If someone can convince me why i should like this story line.
OR why other people like it.
PLEASE DO, because i for one, am very angry at the fact that such a cute bouncy girl turns into a emotionless jerk who gets away with things because she can say sorry and have sex... alot of abrupt sex.
k so you've been reasonable about this, so don't take this personally. This is a topical thing, not a "you" thing. I want that to be clear because oh my god this OP.

Why do people like Emi? Because she's freaking awesome, that's why.

You don't run with her, blah blah blah, to start. You take up one of the healthiest interests possible that will likely double your lifespan because Emi cares about you enough to show you the ropes, and in doing so, you make her happier than you can probably even imagine. That's not a bad start, and it's not to be glossed over.

Yes, Hisao stays with her, because he has sympathy. She kicks you out of the house in a moment of anger that she even later admits was irrational.

After, you go back and see her dad, who she has never told anybody about outside of her family and the Nurse, and finally help her break away from what is the most crippling aspect of her psyche. She is incredibly grateful, and she manages to swallow her pride and give a heartfelt apology. All of this is visibly painful for her and it takes an immense amount of courage to do.

After, there is exactly one H scene, and it's the least abrupt, nonsensical sex scene I've ever seen in anything. Her and Hisao genuinely love each other, and the sex is a two-way act of passion rather than lust for possibly the first true time in the relationship, and either of their lives. Then she says she loves you, (referring to Hisao, to be clear) because she does, and falls asleep with you because she trusts you and feels more comfortable with you more than anybody she has ever been with.

You wake up and talk to each other, which Hisao even points out is really nice to be able to do. The final line is not "What do you want me to do now?" it's "What do you want to do today?" and the entire scene leading up to it implies a closeness that will make whatever they decide to do a joy for both of them. Not even sort of a sexual reference. It's totally innocent, actually, which is kind of the point, seeing as they've moved past using sex as a relationship crutch.

Emi is rude sometimes. She can be stubborn, she swears relatively a lot and she has a temper. Boiling it down to being a "bitchface" though is extremely wrong. She is struggling with an internal battle that is more intense than anything most people will ever deal with, and putting that in perspective, doing a pretty damn good job of it for the most part. She's functional, she's still sweet most of the time and she's healthier than most unamputated people.

She kicks you out because she's scared and she's hurting. Not nice, but understandable.

Her story and her battles are not a "bad excuse" and it hits close to home seeing it being called that in a very real way. You lose legs, or you get the flu, or whatever physical thing, and all of a sudden everybody feels so bad for you and wants to help you. You get depression or anxiety or PTSD or whatever mentally/emotionally though, and nobody cares. "Deal with it". "Get over it". "These things happen". I cannot stress enough how hard dealing with something like that is. You hurt physically. It's scary and stressful and you feel sad all the time. You begin hoping that you won't wake up in the morning. That isn't a bad excuse, that's as real as any of the handicaps in the game, and it takes immeasurable bravery to come to terms with that and share it with somebody. Letting people in is TERRIFYING. Hisao is okay with that because he loves her and doesn't want to just drop her in her time of crisis, because that would completely crush her. Sex wasn't what did that for him. It's implied he doesn't even enjoy that as much once she gets distant anyway.

Again, the things Emi deals with are so far from an "unemotional zombie state" that it's nearly hair-pullingly frustrating even typing that. If she was an unemotional zombie, she wouldn't have cried into Hisao's arms on her father's grave site. She doesn't use sex as an excuse- she uses it as a coping mechanism, and then she owns it later in a way that most people can't even do on a day-to-day basis for small things. Most people can't even accept responsibility for dropping trash on the ground. Emi fully admits her problems, and then is heavily implied to go on to better herself to avoid those problems in the future, which is the polar opposite of an excuse.

Emi is just a character and I can acknowledge that, but the idea of her is real and seeing it being called an emotionless jerk honestly bothers me more than I would have expected it to. That idea of a girl has so much more guts and is so much more motivated and kind and caring and just plain full of life than most of the people who are actually alive, including me. Just like anybody I know of, she has problems that she deals with. She isn't perfect; not even close. The good side of her so outweighs the bad side though, and I legitimately feel bad for anybody who can't see that, because it's beautiful, and they're missing out on it.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

forgetmenot wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:words
http://i.imgur.com/azSMJu7.gif
I gotta say this is pretty much 100% spot-on. Well done.
I second that. I'm left feeling that Emi is not best girl for me because I'm not good enough. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Could NOT have put that better if I had all year to think about it. Agreed with all of that.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Now I feel bad for presuming to fill in for you. :oops:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Now I feel bad for presuming to fill in for you. :oops:
Is all good in da hood, tho. I took forever to get around to this because I had to articulate.
Atario

Post by Atario »

There are few more inspired words than those of a Katawa Shoujo fan advocating for his waifu(s).

Take it from one who knows first-hand… :wink:
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Now I feel bad for presuming to fill in for you. :oops:
Is all good in da hood, tho. I took forever to get around to this because I had to articulate.
And I've never seen such a fully-articulated and impassioned piece of advocacy for the waifu… :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Correct, both of you.

Waifus are serious business, especially on the Internet.
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

SpunkySix wrote:Correct, both of you.

Well I think if anyone has claim to Emi as his waifu, it'd be you.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

forgetmenot wrote:

Well, I'm glad I could get my feelings across well enough in text then, thank you.

DISCLAIMER: While waifus may be claimed, they are not property and are not to be owned, side effects of having a waifu include disappointment, loneliness, bitterness, diarrhea and in some rare cases, death. Talk to your school nurse before finding a waifu to decide if a waifu is right for you. Waifus are not to be taken with large amounts of alcohol, and mixing waifus with certain medications has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
forgetmenot wrote:

Well, I'm glad I could get my feelings across well enough in text then, thank you.

DISCLAIMER: While waifus may be claimed, they are not property and are not to be owned, side effects of having a waifu include disappointment, loneliness, bitterness, diarrhea and in some rare cases, death. Talk to your school nurse before finding a waifu to decide if a waifu is right for you. Waifus are not to be taken with large amounts of alcohol, and mixing waifus with certain medications has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease.
I think it was Barry Hughart who pointed out the essential difference between a waifu and a wife. With the latter, there can be jealous episodes and violence if two or more profess their love for her; with the former, there are normally no such episodes, since all are fellow worshippers. :)
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

SpunkySix wrote: An Epic to rival the works of Homer
You win, Spunky.

Before today, before five minutes ago, I did not believe there was a Bestgirl. I thought there were many Girls, some marginally better than others, but all worthy of equal praise. You, noble prophet, have shown me the light. There is no Bestgirl but Emi, and SpunkySix is the messenger of Emi. This one truth is now known to me. Other girls exist, and are worthy of respect, but pale in comparison to the magnificence and glory of The One True Bestgirl.

But in all seriousness, well done. I could not have done better if I tried, and I don't know if anyone else could, either. You really have knocked her up to first place in my ranking, and now I am going to go play her route again.

I still hate running, though. This is the modern world! We have cars! And planes! And trains! And Segways!
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.