Is it just me?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

someguy1294

Re: Is it just me?

Post by someguy1294 »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Liminaut wrote:I wonder what a sequel to KS would look like?

One big aspect of the story for me that I liked was the fumbling, insecure nature of first loves and navigating that.
I think maybe this is why I'd prefer a sequel to be fresher characters... Continuing loves are boring. Yes, they're sweet and lovey and all that crap, but you can't really top the chase. Best part of a relationship, imho.
You can tell a compelling love story that starts when the lovers are already together, and honestly, it seems like a few too many romance writers seem to assume you have to start before the characters get together. I'd like to see more writer explore established relationship in motion. Compelling fiction comes from characters suffering, and few things can make characters suffer more than taking a couple of lovers and putting an obstacle between them.

One of the finest (and shortest) visual novels I ever read, "Air Pressure", starts with an already established relationship, but it is far from 'sweet and lovey'.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
Liminaut wrote:I wonder what a sequel to KS would look like?

One big aspect of the story for me that I liked was the fumbling, insecure nature of first loves and navigating that.
I think maybe this is why I'd prefer a sequel to be fresher characters... Continuing loves are boring. Yes, they're sweet and lovey and all that crap, but you can't really top the chase. Best part of a relationship, imho.
You can tell a compelling love story that starts when the lovers are already together, and honestly, it seems like a few too many romance writers seem to assume you have to start before the characters get together. I'd like to see more writer explore established relationship in motion. Compelling fiction comes from characters suffering, and few things can make characters suffer more than taking a couple of lovers and putting an obstacle between them.

One of the finest (and shortest) visual novels I ever read, "Air Pressure", starts with an already established relationship, but it is far from 'sweet and lovey'.
Oh man, that one's crazy. It's also at least partially a metaphor for drug addiction, but that's besides the point.

Try it out, it really is super short:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529708
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Atario

Post by Atario »

Munchenhausen wrote:Continuing loves are boring. Yes, they're sweet and lovey and all that crap, but you can't really top the chase. Best part of a relationship, imho.
Yikes. Pity your poor SO.
someguy1294 wrote:it seems like a few too many romance writers seem to assume you have to start before the characters get together.
Hell, in most anime-and-related genres, people expect the story to end at the first kiss. Going beyond is considered beating a dead horse. :roll:
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Atario wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:it seems like a few too many romance writers seem to assume you have to start before the characters get together.
Hell, in most anime-and-related genres, people expect the story to end at the first kiss. Going beyond is considered beating a dead horse. :roll:
Going beyond certainly worked for KS.
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Walshy12238 wrote: Going beyond certainly worked for KS.
KS Afterstory?

University years and what-not?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Megumeru wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote: Going beyond certainly worked for KS.
KS Afterstory?

Not entirely sure what you mean :P I'm talking about how KS took the romance-story further than the first kiss, and it worked.
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

Megumeru wrote:KS Afterstory?

YES! Oh for the love of god, yes.
If you ask me those are the years that really are interesting, at least at my age. (24)
They've come to know and love each other and then what? University and the first years after that is the time where the real life starts. Will they "survive" those years together or grow apart under the stress? We're given highschool romances here and if a story ends after the first kiss, first sex or (correct me if I'm wrong) first days/weeks of relationship development. That is way too soon to say: "And they lived happily ever after."

Okay yeah, we can say that is what fanfiction is for and I know that it is a near lifetime projekt to create a VN as detailed as KS over the course of let's say 5-10 years. But I would love to see a KS trilogy.

Katawa Shoujo
Katawa Shoujo 2: The After Years (University)
Katawa Shoujo 3: With a Vengance (First five years after university.)

I can totally see and appreciate the idea of give the audience a good start and leave the rest to their fantasies. I just wanna know how the official team would imagine the life of these charakters and make something out of it.
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

Darklord13 wrote:I don't know if this is worth ana entire new page(or if it even is allowed to be dicussed about),but it has been bugging me for 2 weeks.
So,i downloaded KS 2-3 weeks ago and went for Hanakos route first.After finishing the route i was completely shoked by the realism and the ''feels'' the game has.Since i finished Hanakos route i feel like i NEED a KS 2(or 1.5)that tells the story of what happens AFTER the 5 routes you can follow end.
Is it just me that i feel this need of an official sequel,or am i just getting crazy(Yes,i know that the KS team and 4LS have made it quite clear there won't be anything else related to KS).? :(
Oh yeah, trust me.
I feel the same way.
This game has got me addicted and not having a second makes me want to explode.
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

Pandas wrote:
Darklord13 wrote:I don't know if this is worth ana entire new page(or if it even is allowed to be dicussed about),but it has been bugging me for 2 weeks.
So,i downloaded KS 2-3 weeks ago and went for Hanakos route first.After finishing the route i was completely shoked by the realism and the ''feels'' the game has.Since i finished Hanakos route i feel like i NEED a KS 2(or 1.5)that tells the story of what happens AFTER the 5 routes you can follow end.
Is it just me that i feel this need of an official sequel,or am i just getting crazy(Yes,i know that the KS team and 4LS have made it quite clear there won't be anything else related to KS).? :(
Oh yeah, trust me.
I feel the same way.
Dude read sisterhood, it will make you feel better
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

RandomPerson wrote:
Pandas wrote:
Oh yeah, trust me.
I feel the same way.
Not to drag on a huge "quote" list. but why?
Whats it about?
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

It's a hanako good ending continuation. It's really good and will occupy you for a while. It also ties the story in a nice little knot to so it really helped me get over hanakos route
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

Pandas wrote:
RandomPerson wrote:
Pandas wrote:Oh yeah, trust me.
I feel the same way.
Not to drag on a huge "quote" list. but why?
Whats it about?
I feel like a crack dealer right now buuut...

Sisterhood
Hanako's Story
Behind my Scars
Hanako/Hisao post-Yamaku

A few of the better/best Hanako fanfics I've read here. They will continue Hanako's route and in the case of "Hanako's Story" tell the story from her POV.
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."
Darklord13

Post by Darklord13 »

RandomPerson wrote:Dude read sisterhood, it will make you feel better
I finished it in one sitting(after someone suggested i read fanfiction at the 1st page of this post).It feels like the ending Hanako's route deserved(the in-game ending feels like a half-finished story).Thanks for the recommendation though :D

Pandas wrote:Not to drag on a huge "quote" list. but why?
Whats it about?
Sisterhood is a fanfic.It is the continuation of Hanako's route,and i strongly suggest you read it RIGHT NOW.It will help ease the pain(at least it helped in my case)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6750
''Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.'' - Marcel Proust
arthritis_5

Post by arthritis_5 »

OK Im agreeing this this person. I NEED A SECOND GAME... 4LS left the game wide open for a second part
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Did they? Admittedly some routes wrap things up more than others, but "wide open" usually implies cliffhangers that my version of KS didn't have.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.