Re: Is it just me?

Post by Potato »

TheHivemind wrote:
Aura wrote:
TheHivemind wrote: We won't tho
Haven't you learned to never say never?
I'm a slow learner.
Ironic...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Aura wrote: Haven't you learned to never say never?
If it's from that girl, then...

Nope.exe
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Aura wrote:
TheHivemind wrote: We won't tho
Haven't you learned to never say never?
THERE IS HOPE.

If a sequel ever DOES get made, I don't think it should simply be a continuation of the other routes. There is a reason each route ends where it does:
the writer had told all they need to tell. The worse case scenario would be if only one ending was declared canon thus destroying the entire point of a visual novel with multiple endings and crapping on every player who didn't get their favorite ending as canon and the second game picked up from there.

Instead of being a mere continuation of the first game, I'd like to see KS2 give attention to the characters who never got it in the first game. It could pick up a new protagonist (Kenji?) and give him a new set of girls (Akira, Misha, Yuuko, Miki, Rei and Aoi, heck, throw in Meiko and Sae if you want, maybe even make Rika and Saki canon) and give the side characters a spot light they never got in the first game. Admittedly, Kenji's character might have to be toned down just a bit to make him a workable protagonist FEMINISTS! but we know he had at least one relationship before, so it's not out of the question to turn him into a romantic hero.

Another approach would be to center the second game on Iwanako... this could work, as not much about Iwanako's character is defined, and this gives a lot of freedom. The only problem I can see is that if the story was about Iwanako trying to win over boys... you might end up losing your male audience, ie, the bulk of KS fans. Even the most secure heterosexual male might feel a bit awkward stepping into the position of a girl romancing boys, not matter how well written it is.

Just sharing some thoughts on game that will probably never be made. :)
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Majikoi's continuation lets you pick how you start by allowing you to pick who you ended up with in the end of the last one. Something like that is possible IF KS sequel is planned.

...then again, you'd have new characters to add which may or may not be more interesting than what 'you have' (e.g. You picked Shizune's story as canon. You went to university with Shizune and met SOMEONE ELSE who may be a lot more feisty. Or maybe you prefer Lilly, and continuing its story [let's say they're continuing the year in Yamaku] you somehow made acquiantance with Suzu or some other new character that potentially pepper you with a much more 'feels/challenge-heavy' route.)

The question then leads to: are you going to stay/remain with the original cast, or are you going to ditch and go for the new ones?

Interesting stuff, isn't it?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I dunno if it's just me, but in the event of sequel, I'd prefer a fresh start.
New characters (recycle secondary tertiary characters or brand new ones, I'm not fussy), definitely a new protagonist (not so much as 'I don't like Hisao', as much as 'Hisao's already had his turn') perhaps even a 'next generation' kind of feel. Plenty of room for a few comeback cameos.
Got science with Professor Nakai, detention with Pricipal Hakamichi, art lesson with Mr Maeda, y'know.

I don't think I'd really want to play a continuation VN, really.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Munchenhausen wrote:I don't think I'd really want to play a continuation VN, really.
See, I have to say I would, very much so. Which is probably one of the major reasons making a sequel would be tough... there's a lot of people who want a lot of different things out of one, and even the writers would have different ideas of what would be right. I feel like ideally, there'd be a lot of options to work with, maybe two or three protagonists, each with their own sets of paths* so that nobody really gets left out, but then that's a lot more work too. The question comes down to, is there enough motivation and desire to take on such a large project now that the team has VN experience? Probably not.

But I can dreeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaam!

*Like, Hisao could have a continuation of his story as a science teacher at Yamaku with the girl from the original as his fiancé, but then you could also play as a boy or a girl in his class who can date new characters too
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Darklord13

Post by Darklord13 »

You know,it doesn't REALLY have to be a sequel.It could just be a big update(something like what FTL did(if anyone knows that game),with a on/off option) :? You know,since it isn't normal for VNs to have sequels or something ok im just gonna shut up right now
''Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.'' - Marcel Proust
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

We could just get a sequel VN where Hisao grows up to be a lawyer and ends up having to defend each of the girls in court.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

I wonder what a sequel to KS would look like?

One big aspect of the story for me that I liked was the fumbling, insecure nature of first loves and navigating that. The trouble is, the authors already did that and probably said pretty much all they wanted to say the first time around. If KS was a product of a major game company then I imagine we'd already be seeing a series "Tales from Yamaku" selling the same feels over and over again, which is a good argument for doing this stuff indie.

So, pushing the story a bit further ahead in time. I could see all of the relationships formed during the good ends coming under a lot of stress, and I could see good stories there. This would be five separate paths, really with five separate casts of characters to manage. In other words, a rather large amount of work.

I think the best sequel we're going to get is http://ks.renai.us/viewforum.php?f=52
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Liminaut wrote:I wonder what a sequel to KS would look like?

One big aspect of the story for me that I liked was the fumbling, insecure nature of first loves and navigating that.
I think maybe this is why I'd prefer a sequel to be fresher characters... Continuing loves are boring. Yes, they're sweet and lovey and all that crap, but you can't really top the chase. Best part of a relationship, imho.
I think the best sequel we're going to get is http://ks.renai.us/viewforum.php?f=52
Hit the nail on the head :D
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Liminaut wrote:I wonder what a sequel to KS would look like?

One big aspect of the story for me that I liked was the fumbling, insecure nature of first loves and navigating that.
I think maybe this is why I'd prefer a sequel to be fresher characters... Continuing loves are boring. Yes, they're sweet and lovey and all that crap, but you can't really top the chase. Best part of a relationship, imho.

That's the thing. I don't think any of them would be just sweet and lovey. Take Hanako, for instance. I'm pretty sure she has spectacular PTSD. This means flashbacks and catonic breaks like we saw in the classroom after Hisao talked about birthday presents. It also means sudden rages like in the bad end. Imagine if Hanako has another catonic break, say, in downtown Sendai. Getting her back home is going to be awful. Now, I think there will be some wonderful moments in there, but some pretty awful bad ones.

So, I think there are some great stories about maintaining all of these relationships. There could even be great VNs here. But after 5 years, I suspect the KS crew has done their time. :)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Rather than having a direct sequel, I think I might actually enjoy a prequel better.

Bring in a new cast a year or two years before the start of KS and only have Lilly, Emi, and the gang act as supporting cast or cameos. You'd have a fresh start and still get to see familiar faces, while giving the characters we do know a bit more backstory. Perhaps one of the romantic options is a member of the old student council and stalks about how it's going through a rough patch or a power struggle for example, or helping out the new part-time librarian Yuuko. Maybe you could hang out with Kenji BEFORE he got caught up in his feminism rants (notice in the game he mentions multiple conspiracies but never goes into detail about any of them. perhaps before the femminists got him he had a different obsession.

I don't know. I just think it could be interesting.
Not Dead Yet
Zerero

Post by Zerero »

I'd definitely want a direct sequel from Katawa Shoujo carrying on with the same characters if Four Leaf Studios ever pondered making a new, related game. Of course, that probably won't happen. :roll:

Dem feels tho
Favorite girl: Lilly

Great game, too many feels.

Lilly>Hanako=Emi>Shizune>Rin
Potato

Post by Potato »

Oddball wrote:Maybe you could hang out with Kenji BEFORE he got caught up in his feminism rants (notice in the game he mentions multiple conspiracies but never goes into detail about any of them. perhaps before the femminists got him he had a different obsession.
What little backstory we get seems to suggest he was relatively saner at some point. That'd be something to see.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
Oddball wrote:Maybe you could hang out with Kenji BEFORE he got caught up in his feminism rants (notice in the game he mentions multiple conspiracies but never goes into detail about any of them. perhaps before the femminists got him he had a different obsession.
What little backstory we get seems to suggest he was relatively saner at some point. That'd be something to see.
Kind of a downer ending, though...