Shizune's Mum

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Shizune's Mum

Post by Munchenhausen »

Something that I haven't seen touched upon, topic nor VN, is Shizune's mum.
Dead? I think so. But how? Why? Feminists? Hideaki's fault? Was she on the NHS?

I remember one of Doomish's stories, 'Braving The Storm', said that Shizune's Mother was an avid Katana collector, with the one he wears around being the last possession he has of her's.
Kinda keep that in my headcanon, now

What do you lot think?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Shizune's Mum

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Firstly, I saw the title and instantly said 'has got it going on.' I feel ashamed of myself.

Anyway, to the topic! I would say she was killed in an accident on a family holiday, or something like that. They strike me as quite an outdoorsy/active family (at least, if Jigoro is deciding where they're going), so maybe some competition was sparked up and it in the heat of the moment something happened? I dunno.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

I personally believe that she's either-
A: Alive and well, just not home when Hisao visits Shizune's home.
B: Divorced from Jigoro and living with her brother in Scotland.
C: Dead
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Firstly, I saw the title and instantly said 'has got it going on.'
I did the exact same thing.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I've never really put much thought into her character.

I suppose she'd be the one in the family that knew sign language. Most of Shizune's interaction with others would have been through her. I don't much care for the idea of her being dead either. We already have two of our heroines with dead parents, three would be a bit much. One story I've read said that she was a fashion designer and traveled alot. I kind of like that idea. Nothing's happened to her, she just isn't home very often.
Not Dead Yet
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oddball wrote:I've never really put much thought into her character.

I suppose she'd be the one in the family that knew sign language. Most of Shizune's interaction with others would have been through her. I don't much care for the idea of her being dead either. We already have two of our heroines with dead parents, three would be a bit much. One story I've read said that she was a fashion designer and traveled alot. I kind of like that idea. Nothing's happened to her, she just isn't home very often.
Suits my sense of symmetry though. Just as Rin/Emi form a thematic pair, so would Shizune/Emi. Now if you see Shizune/dark/motherless and Emi/bright/fatherless as opposing elements, then Hanako is right in between — her body is halfway between darkness and light, and she lacks both parents.

But apart from such peculiar musings, I keep thinking that Shizune's mother is probably in Scotland during the story and was based there/lived there till she passed on.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

She started an affair with some jerky hardass and got stolen away. A heartbroken Jigoro immediately transformed himself into the very thing he hated in an act of supreme overcompensation.

Less serious option: Jigoro was once a very effeminate, doormat-ish type. An accident occurred during which this timid nature rendered him unable to save her, and she died as a result. With the aid of his former self (undercover as Shizune's 'brother' Hideaki), who time-traveled to help him avoid such tragedy repeating itself, he resolved to change himself into an aggressive badass who wouldn't wuss out when needed again. Shizune's mom in the current timeline is alive and well thanks to these efforts, just away on business. Hideaki's pleas to learn sign language from Hisao are yet another compensation upon realizing he's turned his other self into a complete monster.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

We've got one real fact about Shizune's mom, and that is that she's completely absent from the story. That's very unusual; even Lilly's parents get passing mention. I just started thinking about what this means for Shizune's story and character.

Fair warning: I just now thought of this approach so I'm going to have to work things out. What I write may be a little messy.

For some period now, Shizune hasn't had a mother. We don't know for how long. However, the total absence of Shizune's mother from the story implies a complete absence of maternal guidance from Shizune's life. She hasn't had any real guiding influence in how to become an adult woman. This is starting to make sense from the VN. My impression was that when Hisao wanted to be her boyfriend, she had no idea how to handle the situation. That was a whole section of life that Shizune had no guidance in.

Shizune's sole parental influence was Jigoro. He is constantly challenging the people around him, often rather rudely. Shizune didn't have any counterbalance to his influence, and it shows.

Short version of the above: Where Shizune's mom is, is the wrong question to ask. The right question is what does the total absence of Shizune's mom from the story tell us about Shizune's story.

Hopefully ProfAllister will show up soon and make what I just wrote, like, coherent. :lol:
Potato

Post by Potato »

Liminaut wrote:The right question is what does the total absence of Shizune's mom from the story tell us about Shizune's story.
It tells us she spent her life with Jigoro as her sole primary influence. Question answered. Now what? :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
Liminaut wrote:The right question is what does the total absence of Shizune's mom from the story tell us about Shizune's story.
It tells us she spent her life with Jigoro as her sole primary influence.
Poor thing.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:Poor thing.
Exactly. Once you realize that, rereading her route makes her come off not as a bitch but as a saint.

By the way, I just want to point out the amusing double-entendre of this thread's title.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Liminaut wrote:Shizune's sole parental influence was Jigoro. He is constantly challenging the people around him, often rather rudely. Shizune didn't have any counterbalance to his influence, and it shows.
That actually explains a lot.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Numb

Post by Numb »

I like to think that she's the breadmaker of the household, with Jigoro being the "housewife". I wrote her in my Christmas special a while ago as the fun parent, the one that actually knows sign language and can talk to Shizune, but she is a very busy travelling businesswoman. I'd say that's where Shizune gets her competitive streak, because Jigoro doesn't seem to be interested in little games or bets, he gave her the seriousness she has.

Not many fan fiction authors touch on Shizune's mother, and the few that do always have different ideas. I know Helbereth has referenced her in Tomorrow's Doom, and I've written something where she is actually present, but both of these instances are completely different. We even used different names. The only thing we really know about her is that, apparently, her name is Mayoi (while I'm here, Lilly's father is Hiroyuki, drop that in there to help spread the word) and she is the connection to the Satou family. Oh damn. Sudden idea.

What if Shizune's mother is Lilly's sick aunt? It'd make sense for her to be in Scotland if she's a businesswoman, as the family business is based there, and she is Lilly's aunt... Damn, if I wasn't busy with VN work, I'd write something about that :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Then why on earth are Lilly and Akira summoned to Scotland and not Shizune?
Last edited by Guest Poster on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Numb wrote:What if Shizune's mother is Lilly's sick aunt? It'd make sense for her to be in Scotland if she's a businesswoman, as the family business is based there, and she is Lilly's aunt... Damn, if I wasn't busy with VN work, I'd write something about that :lol:
Strange how different people end up with the same idea… I had to develop some backstory for Hideaki and Shizune in my 'After the Dream' mosaic and this came up. I don't think I'm the first either—I've seen a couple of writers elsewhere who've done the same. Seems to tie up so many loose ends!
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)