Shizune
42%
Misha
12%

Total votes: 785

OtakuNinja

Re: Least favorite girl?

Post by OtakuNinja »

Some parts of it was touching, but the majority was too confusing to even understand. :?
I don't even know if I got the good ending or the neutral ending! :shock:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Trust me, you'd know if you got the neutral ending. Saddest ending ever.

If you don't like Rin then you either haven't played her route (Which admittedly is not the most tempting route to take in Act 1) or you didn't understand the story.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Pseudogenesis wrote:If you don't like Rin then you either haven't played her route (Which admittedly is not the most tempting route to take in Act 1) or you didn't understand the story.
Tastes are tastes. Just saying "you just don't understand, man" isn't the right way to go.

Rin is my second favorite. I think her route was the best one, even though, as a character, I prefer Emi.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I think Rin had the best Act 1 of all the girls (+ Kenji). But after that... I was lost. :?

Btw, it would be really helpful if someone told me how many different endings each girl have. Just the number, not the content. ;)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

OtakuNinja wrote:I think Rin had the best Act 1 of all the girls (+ Kenji). But after that... I was lost. :?

Btw, it would be really helpful if someone told me how many different endings each girl have. Just the number, not the content. ;)
Rin - 3
Shizune - 2
Hanako - 3
Lilly - 2
Emi - 2

Rin is one of my least favorites simply because I don't love her nearly as much as some of the other heroines. For me, the phrase "Least favorite KS girl" is fairly meaningless, since there really isn't anything about Katawa Shoujo that I don't adore... with the possible exception of Jigoro, and even he has his moments.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

OtakuNinja wrote:I think Rin had the best Act 1 of all the girls (+ Kenji). But after that... I was lost. :?

***Possible spoilers ahead***

Rin struggled to express herself, to make her emotions understood, and to understand others. All she really wanted was someone who could understand her. Hisao constantly describes here as devoid of any emotion, as stoic as a brick wall, but at a few points in the story she reveals that she's probably one of the most inwardly conflicted characters of the game. The contrast this brings is the best part: Whose heart didn't break when [late Rin's path spoiler] she broke down in the art classroom?
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Rin struggled to express herself, to make her emotions understood, and to understand others. All she really wanted was someone who could understand her. Hisao constantly describes here as devoid of any emotion, as stoic as a brick wall, but at a few points in the story she reveals that she's probably one of the most inwardly conflicted characters of the game. The contrast this brings is the best part: Whose heart didn't break when [late Rin's path spoiler] she broke down in the art classroom?
Crying Rin is the worst, my heart is still in pieces from that.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Honestly, Rin's was my first route and I was largely lost early-on. However, I think I hit more emotional points with her route than any other. I may have later enjoyed some other routes more, but Rin's was easily the most fulfilling -and tragic- emotionally. I've heard there's actually a third, 'bad' ending to her route, but the good and neutral ends were tumultuous enough - the thought of things actually ending on a more sour note is just depressing.

Perhaps when I revisit the whole VN some months from now, I'll explore that branch. Aura, I have to admit, is probably the best writer of the five (six? twelve?) who contributed to KS - having worked that much emotion into the story while focusing on it intellectually (his words, paraphrased); like it was an accident.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Helbereth wrote:Honestly, Rin's was my first route and I was largely lost early-on. However, I think I hit more emotional points with her route than any other. I may have later enjoyed some other routes more, but Rin's was easily the most fulfilling -and tragic- emotionally. I've heard there's actually a third, 'bad' ending to her route, but the good and neutral ends were tumultuous enough - the thought of things actually ending on a more sour note is just depressing.

I doubt anything could be more sour than the so-called "neutral" ending. So many feels.

Rin's "bad" ending was [major late Rin's path spoilers] remember when Hisao blew up on her in his room? Well that happens earlier, and in the attic, using basically the exact same dialogue, and the path ends there. More like a cop-out than a bad ending, really.

someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

ArazelEternal wrote:Shizune. She is too bossy and competitive for me.
...This. Am I a bad person for wanting to bitch-slap a deaf girl?

Yes, I know, I'm not being original. Everyone hates Shizune. That doesn't make her personality any less abrasive.

Yes, I'm sure she turns out to be less of a bitch in her route, but honestly, nothing she did in Act 1 makes me want to read her route.

Lily is a close second for me. Compared to the rest of the girls, she's just... boring. I'm quite a ways into her Act 3 (at the bit with the summer-house), so I don't think I'm talking out my ass here. Rin, Hanako and Emi all have some sort of flaw or defect that creates tension between themselves and Hisao. Rin has no ability to express her feelings verbally, Hanako is afraid of people, Emi hides her feelings and won't open up. All of these create obstacles that Hisao has to struggle to overcome. Lily... so far, the only real obstacle I have seen between her and Hisao is her family in Scotland. Not much of a flaw... starting to get why people call her a Mary Sue.

That said, I haven't finished her route yet, so maybe something interesting will happen in a while...
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I can't believe Rin is the second least favourite. D: Her route was touching.
Yes. Blows my mind, man... but admittedly, her route is one of the most frustrating and depressing, so I can see why some people dislike her.

I'm rather shocked that Lily has the fewest dislikes, though. Out of all the girls, her personality stood out to me the least. I would have rather had a Miki route or a Yuuko route than a Lily route.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:
ArazelEternal wrote:Shizune. She is too bossy and competitive for me.
...This. Am I a bad person for wanting to bitch-slap a deaf girl?

Yes, I know, I'm not being original. Everyone hates Shizune. That doesn't make her personality any less abrasive.

Yes, I'm sure she turns out to be less of a bitch in her route, but honestly, nothing she did in Act 1 makes me want to read her route.

Lily is a close second for me. Compared to the rest of the girls, she's just... boring. I'm quite a ways into her Act 3 (at the bit with the summer-house), so I don't think I'm talking out my ass here. Rin, Hanako and Emi all have some sort of flaw or defect that creates tension between themselves and Hisao. Rin has no ability to express her feelings verbally, Hanako is afraid of people, Emi hides her feelings and won't open up. All of these create obstacles that Hisao has to struggle to overcome. Lily... so far, the only real obstacle I have seen between her and Hisao is her family in Scotland. Not much of a flaw... starting to get why people call her a Mary Sue.

That said, I haven't finished her route yet, so maybe something interesting will happen in a while...
People call her a Mary Sue because they don't know what that term means, more often than not. And you're looking in the wrong place: The obstacle in her route has more to do with Hisao than Lilly.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Woo, bumping two-year-old threads. Fun stuff.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Umber

Post by Umber »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:Woo, bumping two-year-old threads. Fun stuff.
As long as it stays relevant. Now go back to randomly popping into V.A.T.S sequences, you wily little perk, you.

Least favorite girl was probably Misaka Misaki, and least (as well as favorite) in the loosest sense of the word possible. I don't like any female character any more than the other (except Suzu and Molly eee), but Misaka Misaki doesn't have enough fan-support for me to base an opinion on. Hopefully, Numb's recently created pseudo-route changes that. Until we see how it progresses, I've got nothing.

Suzumiya genderbend is adorable though.

sae is best girl
Last edited by Umber on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Umber wrote:Least favorite girl was probably Misaka, and least (as well as favorite) in the loosest sense of the word possible. I don't like any female character any more than the other (except Suzu and Molly eee), but Misaka doesn't have enough fan-support for me to base an opinion on. Hopefully, Numb's recently created pseudo-route changes that. Until we see how it progresses, I've got nothing.
Who??

---------
I have stated before that Shizune and I wouldn't be the bestest of friends for numerous reasons.