Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

wazuzu

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by wazuzu »

valoth wrote:First of all she was sent there as part of a sign language program to help Shizune. Secondly it is never said that she has a disability, but her loud nature (in my opinion) could just be her personality, OCD, ADHD, or Angelman Syndrome.
You're missing the point. This thread isn't about explanation, it's about speculation based upon unclear existing information.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

valoth wrote:First of all she was sent there as part of a sign language program to help Shizune.
That would be an excellent point, if it were supported by anything in the test. It says no such thing (and conflicts quite a bit with the fact that a significant portion of the student body is deaf).
Secondly it is never said that she has a disability,
Never said that she does, but never said that she doesn't, either. Half the fun is speculation and carefully parsing every word.
but her loud nature (in my opinion) could just be her personality, OCD, ADHD, or Angelman Syndrome.
Each of those theories has been discussed in this thread, with varying degrees of likelihood:

Personality: Sure, why not?

OCD/ADHD: I guess it's possible, but, like Autism, those are conditions that are notorious for being depicted poorly. As a result, (competent) authors tend to avoid them unless they're making a point of going for an accurate depiction. So I'd consider those unlikely.

Angelman Syndrome: I've specifically addressed this one before, since it's a little problematic. The summary description on wikipedia makes it sound like a reasonable (if somewhat far-fetched) possibility. Looking in detail at any medical literature shows that it falls somewhere between "extremely improbably" and "no chance in hell."

[grumpyoldcodger]I have no objection to newcomers contributing to discussions without requiring them to read the entirety of the discussion that happened before them, but it really should be common courtesy to use the "Search this topic" feature to make sure you're at least bringing a new perspective to an old argument. There are countless instances of "I haven't read the 60+ pages, but (verbatim argument that's already been presented 10 times)."[/grumpyoldcodger]
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
valoth

Post by valoth »

wazuzu wrote:
valoth wrote:First of all she was sent there as part of a sign language program to help Shizune. Secondly it is never said that she has a disability, but her loud nature (in my opinion) could just be her personality, OCD, ADHD, or Angelman Syndrome.
You're missing the point. This thread isn't about explanation, it's about speculation based upon unclear existing information.
Oh my bad kinda went over my head. But I still think in all honesty if she does have a disability it's ADHD
valoth

Post by valoth »

ProfAllister wrote:
valoth wrote:First of all she was sent there as part of a sign language program to help Shizune.
That would be an excellent point, if it were supported by anything in the test. It says no such thing (and conflicts quite a bit with the fact that a significant portion of the student body is deaf).
Secondly it is never said that she has a disability,
Never said that she does, but never said that she doesn't, either. Half the fun is speculation and carefully parsing every word.
but her loud nature (in my opinion) could just be her personality, OCD, ADHD, or Angelman Syndrome.
Each of those theories has been discussed in this thread, with varying degrees of likelihood:

Personality: Sure, why not?

OCD/ADHD: I guess it's possible, but, like Autism, those are conditions that are notorious for being depicted poorly. As a result, (competent) authors tend to avoid them unless they're making a point of going for an accurate depiction. So I'd consider those unlikely.

Angelman Syndrome: I've specifically addressed this one before, since it's a little problematic. The summary description on wikipedia makes it sound like a reasonable (if somewhat far-fetched) possibility. Looking in detail at any medical literature shows that it falls somewhere between "extremely improbably" and "no chance in hell."

[grumpyoldcodger]I have no objection to newcomers contributing to discussions without requiring them to read the entirety of the discussion that happened before them, but it really should be common courtesy to use the "Search this topic" feature to make sure you're at least bringing a new perspective to an old argument. There are countless instances of "I haven't read the 60+ pages, but (verbatim argument that's already been presented 10 times)."[/grumpyoldcodger]
Caught my wikipedia search huh? Anyway i think it is ADHD if anything.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

ADHD is not a disability, it's a psychiatric disorder (That's what the second "D" stands for).
Even if Misha had it, it wouldn't be a reason for her to attend Yamaku.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

What do we actually know?

1) She gets dizzy going up stairs
2) She inhales parfaits
3) She hated the idea of coming to Yamaku, but her middle school experience was so bad that a few years of complete isolation sounded good. (She and Hanako really should get together and swap war stories).

So, from that a little rampant speculation and a few theories:

A) Spectacular Hypotension -- low blood pressure. The main symptom is dizziness, especially with physical exertion. Long-term this can be pretty nasty; low enough blood pressure can cause organ failure. If she was undiagnosed in middle school that might cause enough problems to get her ostracized.

B) Depression, with other symptoms coming from side-effects of her medication. Granted, Yamaku doesn't take mental illnesses, but if a student was willing to learn sign language an exception might be made. A typical depressive mode of behavior is to put on a happy face and pretend to the outside world that everything is OK until things just crack.

Japan is going through a demographic winter, so any private school is probably highly motivated to bring students in.

I'm actually liking the 'Clinical Depression' theory, so I'm going with that.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Dizziness with physical exertion...Yet she can make continuous trips to the Shanghai. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

What do we actually know?

1) She gets dizzy going up stairs
No. She tells Hisao that she gets dizzy on stairs.
There's a huge difference.
I've pointed that out several times before, the last time just one page back :evil:
2) She inhales parfaits
True, but not an indicator for any disability.
3) She hated the idea of coming to Yamaku,
See 2)
Granted, Yamaku doesn't take mental illnesses, but if a student was willing to learn sign language an exception might be made.
Yamaku doesn't require it's students to be disabled. Misha can attend without being disabled at all. Her being willing to learn sign language was just something that let her reduce the tuition.
Besides Misha is a long way from being clinically depressed. Yes, she is love with somebody who doesn't return her feelings, so she gets depressed sometimes. That's not a mental handicap, that is normal!
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Suicidal ideations, however, are not normal, and are a sign of mental illness.

(Not saying that depression counts as her "official" disability though. It may actually be her real one, much like how Hanako's real disability is her anxiety and depression, but it's probably not her "official" one if she even has one.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Misha's diability

is that she can't have a satisfying romantic ending.

Which is the worst disability one can have, really. She'd be much happier if she was merely blind, or an amputee, or had no control of her sphincter and walked around leaking farts out all day long.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

someguy1294 wrote:Which is the worst disability one can have, really. She'd be much happier if she [...] had no control of her sphincter and walked around leaking farts out all day long.
It suddenly occurs to me that although it is never said that she does that, it's never said that she doesn't constantly fart.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Munchenhausen wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:Which is the worst disability one can have, really. She'd be much happier if she [...] had no control of her sphincter and walked around leaking farts out all day long.
It suddenly occurs to me that although it is never said that she does that, it's never said that she doesn't constantly fart.
SURELY Shizune would have signed it in her own blunt way by now though?
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Leaf

Post by Leaf »

someguy1294 wrote:Misha's diability

is that she can't have a satisfying romantic ending.

Which is the worst disability one can have, really. She'd be much happier if she was merely blind, or an amputee, or had no control of her sphincter and walked around leaking farts out all day long.
I'm new to this game and this is exactly why I sought out a forum.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
SURELY Shizune would have signed it in her own blunt way by now though?
Misha's very tactical with her translations
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Munchenhausen wrote: Misha's very tactical with her translations
Not a good habit for an interpreter.