Telling friends and/or family?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gekiganwing

Re: Telling friends and/or family?

Post by gekiganwing »

Mute wrote:According to my family's religion, I shouldn't be playing this game as it involves premarital love and sex scenes.
Recently I've been reading A Gentler God. The book isn't for everyone, and I admit that I have a few complaints with it. The author uses too many footnotes, and uses some of them to make snarky asides. Still, it's helped me understand the attitudes and assumptions of some of the evangelicals that I know in real life.

As for the original topic... the last time I talked about VNs with someone in real life was while purchasing a Dangan-Ronpa keychain at a hobby store. I usually don't talk in real life about animation, video games, or even board games outside of meetups and fan conventions.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Mute wrote:According to my family's religion, I shouldn't be playing this game as it involves premarital love and sex scenes. It wouldn't be safe to reveal I don't believe in that religion, so I'm pretending until I get away from my parents.

Right now, the only thing they know about this game is that there's some nice music that sometimes plays on my PC.
Why wouldn't it be safe?
It's not like they can actually do anything violent to you.

Also, they don't believe in love? :lol:

Sorry to pry, but what Ass-backwards religion is your family?
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Please enjoy this comic about what it can be like for a child who has grown up and moved out:

NSFW http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/meettheparents/ NSFW

Also: "not like they can do anything violent"? If you say so...
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

People like this make me sad. Okay, maybe I wouldn't agree with some of my son/daughters life choices. But if they're not hurting themselves or someone else, I'd be willing to just accept that its their life and let them live it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:Please enjoy this comic about what it can be like for a child who has grown up and moved out:

NSFW http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/meettheparents/ NSFW

Also: "not like they can do anything violent"? If you say so...
What does that comic have to do with anything...?

And okay, they can totally do something violent. But you can beat the tar out of them in retaliation too. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

As I've mentioned in other threads at various points, KS has changed my view of life, both emotionally and physically. However, I'm on the slow road out of a bit of a grey spot and a couple of times I've been somewhat unstable at college. To try and clarify things with my tutor, I attempted to explain Katawa Shoujo to her in the clearest way I could without it sounding weird. I think she found it interesting to listen to but was also a bit bewildered at my description of what, at the end of the day, is still a visual novel. I'm actually not sure why I decided to tell her, but it was easier than I expected once I got over the initial 'this is gonna sound mental' idea.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote:What does that comic have to do with anything...?
Look how ridiculous Erika's mother acts towards her adult daughter visiting because of her beliefs. Now think of Mute who has indicated they still live at home with very religious parents. Not saying they are the same but it was meant as an example.
And okay, they can totally do something violent. But you can beat the tar out of them in retaliation too. :lol:
Delightful. Then what?
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote:And okay, they can totally do something violent. But you can beat the tar out of them in retaliation too. :lol:
Delightful. Then what?
Then if they try that shit again, do it again.
Or get legal action and divorce from your parents.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

So either answer violence with violence, or legally sever all ties with them and live until adulthood in foster care?

You make it sound so easy, so cut and dried and free of emotion.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:So either answer violence with violence, or legally sever all ties with them and live until adulthood in foster care?

Besides the fact that there are serious financial and legal implications with both options.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Well, this IS why one should never ask for personal advice on the internet. :)
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Guest Poster wrote:Well, this IS why one should never ask for personal advice on the internet. :)
It's not so much that as asking the right people on the Internet.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

metalangel wrote:So either answer violence with violence, or legally sever all ties with them and live until adulthood in foster care?

It is.
People like that, those who force their beliefs on others, are scum. Call me cynical, but seriously. Disgusting.
I also draw, kind of.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:Look how ridiculous Erika's mother acts towards her adult daughter visiting because of her beliefs. Now think of Mute who has indicated they still live at home with very religious parents. Not saying they are the same but it was meant as an example.
No, I got that. But insofar as I can tell from the comic, that chick is safe as can be, however annoyed. :lol: I'm not getting where the big threat is in either case.

And I'm with Stein here. If my parents were like that, it'd be easy enough to detach because they're clearly not worth it. In fact, one was like that and she straightened up once I put my foot down. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:

It is.
People like that, those who force their beliefs on others, are scum. Call me cynical, but seriously. Disgusting.
It definitely should be that easy/cut-and-dry, but even if nothing awful happens, he still has to live with his parents, and that can be extremely stressful even without the added conflict.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"