No I like it but wouldn't pay for it
8%
No it isn't enough to pay for
No votes

Total votes: 40

valoth

How many people would pay for KS?

Post by valoth »

Just a random curiosity. For me i would be willing to pay up to $25 (more if more choices and features were added) because i found the game to be amazingly well written and interesting. This is all assuming you had the money for it by the way.
Last edited by valoth on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpunkySix

Re: How many people would pay for KS?

Post by SpunkySix »

Knowing what I know now, I'd say 10-20$ is well worth the experience.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

$15 sounds reasonable. That seems to be the going rate for indy games these days.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

If I'd have had to pay for it before playing it, I wouldn't have ever played it, and probably never would have gotten into VNs at all.

Now, though...it's hard to say, because if you go by what it's been worth to me in the way of enjoyment and igniting my creativity, I don't know that it's measurable, but certainly off this poll's chart. My selection ($20-30) is based more on what I could probably afford to pay currently.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

If I played it before I paid (yes, torrents, piracy, yarr!), then up to 20$. Worth every penny.
If I paid before I played it, and I knew all the hype about this game (or at least sheer game size, since it's quite big), then around 10$, maybe 12.
If I paid before I played it, and I never knew shit about the game, then I'd wait until it gets a discount to around 5$ to 3$, no more.

And I think this will be either closed or watched grimly upon, since someone from 4leaves posted somewhere in figures thread that they don't like the idea of thinking about profits they could have earned from KS.
valoth

Post by valoth »

wazuzu wrote:If I played it before I paid (yes, torrents, piracy, yarr!), then up to 20$. Worth every penny.
If I paid before I played it, and I knew all the hype about this game (or at least sheer game size, since it's quite big), then around 10$, maybe 12.
If I paid before I played it, and I never knew shit about the game, then I'd wait until it gets a discount to around 5$ to 3$, no more.

And I think this will be either closed or watched grimly upon, since someone from 4leaves posted somewhere in figures thread that they don't like the idea of thinking about profits they could have earned from KS.
i don't mind it being closed and i understand why they would do it just randomly wanted to know what the community thought of it kinda feel bad i didn't read the figures thread first though
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

valoth wrote: kinda feel bad i didn't read the figures thread first though
That's the reason I posted it. Duh.
The thread itself is okay, but you know, reminiscence about such things can, and probably will induce a remarkable butthurt. I can feel that, I had it multiple times.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

That's an interesting question, considering most people probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't free.

I would probably pay around $30.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I'm thinking KS would be good as a "Pay what you think its worth" games. Or else just having a donation page here on the website.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

I guess it was more of a "how much of a participation from person to be worth in what % of donations" dilemma. Mike Inel being the biggest example, the amount of content is tiny, the amount (and tbh the quality) of work is ridiculous.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Assuming I knew nothing of it, $10 tops. And I'd probably pirate it instead.

Assuming I knew all I now know of it...Take all my money.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Potato wrote:Take all my money.
No offense, but I wonder how many persons who have been writing such phrases are actually capable of giving away all their savings to support the given idea.
I'd rather not, even considering the fact that all of me and my wife's savings currently don't exceed 1k$.
Sorry for the OT.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I would, having played it, happily pay £10 for it (or about $16.50). However, I know for a fact if it cost money initially then I would never have paid it, and thus never played it.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

I've purchased at least ten indie VNs on PC, a few more on iOS, and one on Vita. The last one I bought was Princess Battles. In my opinion, $20-25 US is about right. I believe it shows that the creator has enough confidence in their product that they can sell it for a modest amount. A free demo and an interactive story that's cheaper than recent localized OJLVNs adds up to a win for me.

I'll pay $30 or more if the EVN creator can deliver more than one of the following:

* Graphics that I find impressive and appealing
* Gameplay that's compelling, not frustrating, and easy to understand
* Moddable content or in-game customization
* Compatible with at least one mobile device or console
* Cooperative or competitive multiplayer options
* Tone isn't grimdark serious or inane comedy
* Content that can be mature, but "maturity" isn't equated with swearing/fanservice/gore
* Main character can choose to be a villain, with reasonable consequences

Some of the above options are rare, or don't yet exist. I still want to see them.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

wazuzu wrote:
Potato wrote:Take all my money.
No offense, but I wonder how many persons who have been writing such phrases are actually capable of giving away all their savings to support the given idea.
Only if they're completely out of their gourd. It's really just hyperbole in action.