What scene made you "cry" the most

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: What scene made you "cry" the most

Post by Potato »

icannotfindausername wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:The very end of Emi's route. I teared up a few times before then, but the finality of knowing that it was over killed me at the end.
Really? why so?
Like the part with her dad?
We all saw that coming five miles away ahead.
The part where she wakes up in the morning is pretty heart warming but for me the only part in Emi's arc that was emotional was when she slept on Hisao's arm and had that one nightmare.

I broke down into pieces during the airport heart attack in Lilly's arc. Damn that was so intense, first time ever I couldn't comprehend where current events might be leading to, I knew I was nice to Lilly so I should be getting the good ending but that part with the heart attack completely shook me and had immersed like nothing ever did before.

There were some parts in Hanako's route as well but we don't talk about that. Personal rule: You never EVER talk about Hanako's route ;-;
Because being heartwarming is in no way emotional...:P And Lilly's route isn't about being nice. :lol: Hell, you only have a few real opportunities to be mean to anyone in the game.

Real men talk about Hanako's route. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

SpunkySix wrote:The very end of Emi's route. I teared up a few times before then, but the finality of knowing that it was over killed me at the end.
Really? why so?
Like the part with her dad?
We all saw that coming five miles away ahead.
No, more the part where she tells Generic Brown that she wants him to stay with her. The other two H scenes were nice and either cute or funny, but the last one was just full of fuzzy warms and seeing the aftermath end up being such a deep love was almost too much for me. And then I realized that there was no extension and that it was truly the end of the story despite the implied "happily ever after" and I totally leaked tears of distilled feels all over the place like a little bitch.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

Who's Generic Brown? :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:Who's Generic Brown? :P
Hisao. My general formula for naming characters is adjective + color of hair = name.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

SpunkySix wrote:
Hisao. My general formula for naming characters is adjective + color of hair = name.
You don't need to name the characters. They already have names. In this case, the lead characters name is Hisao. You've played the game. You should have noticed that by now.
Not Dead Yet
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Not to mention you do call Emi 'Emi' instead of something like 'legless light brown'.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

It does raise the question though. Would KS have felt any different if at the beginning you were prmpted to enter your own name for the male lead?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

pandaphil wrote:It does raise the question though. Would KS have felt any different if at the beginning you were prmpted to enter your own name for the male lead?
Y'know, there are girls who play KS as well. Heterosexual girls.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
You don't need to name the characters. They already have names. In this case, the lead characters name is Hisao. You've played the game. You should have noticed that by now.
Well yeah, of course. I guess I just sort of nickname characters that way when I'm being weird and me. I don't always do it, but when I do, that's how I do it. Besides, Emi would obviously be Fast Light Brown, obviously. This isn't obvious to anybody else? Huh. Who'da thunk it...

Bringing up the legitimately interesting question though, I've given thought as to whether being able to enter your own name would change the experience any, and I'm going to give it a big "slightly". Seeing my own name might have made a minor extra impact in especially feelsy scenes, but after a while I just got used to seeing Hisao's name and it became normal for me.

And then there's those people who'd have named him Butt Face or something...
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

forgetmenot wrote:
pandaphil wrote:It does raise the question though. Would KS have felt any different if at the beginning you were prmpted to enter your own name for the male lead?

And that has what to do with what I said?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Umber

Post by Umber »

pandaphil wrote:
forgetmenot wrote:
And that has what to do with what I said?
I think he's just trying to get your comment to apply from all directions. You know, straight females having just as much option as straight males. Hisao vs. Hisako. (Shameless plug for Banda, by the way.)

IMO, self-insertion kind of takes a bit out of a story -- only in video games does that seem to work out, and that's because the minimalist depictions of 'the character' make you feel a part of the game, not that you are simply 'in' it. Albeit the fact that you created said character. It's still 'the character', or 'the chosen one', or some other vague, plot-indifferent label that's applied to a person who carries out the decisions you make for them.

That said, Hisao is a person as well, and I'm not sure if I'd be exactly comfortable with taking his place. Though, technically, it wouldn't have been his to begin with.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

The problem with doing it in a visual novel is, unless the story is a constant stream of choice points for literally every single movement (at which point it's not a VN, it's an RPG), self-insert doesn't work. Even if Hisao is intended to be a character that can easily be inserted as, there's still points where he does things I wouldn't do, doesn't do things I would do, or does things differently from how I'd do them.

(Case in point, when asking Hanako to hang out in the city, if it were actually me, I'd pick the bad end option, but be a stuttering mess and pull an "I'VEGOTTOGODOSOMETHING", because my anxiety in situations like that would manifest itself. Then again, she'd pick up on that, so the bad ending might not happen. And, I'd be too nervous to actually go to her room uninvited, even if I thought Lilly was wrong.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
icannotfindausername

Post by icannotfindausername »

SpunkySix wrote:Real men talk about Hanako's route. :P
Here's a little chart to help clear things out about "real men"

"I'm perfectly sane, I'm perfectly sane, it's the whole goddamned world that's gone mad!" -Jin Kariya
Potato

Post by Potato »

Please continue to take my comments entirely too seriously.

As to the discussion going on, I don't think naming Hisao would change too much. It's a VN, not an RPG, so most of what happens is still largely out of the player's control. It's not like Skyrim where if I'm sick of Rin's convoluted nonsense, I can bail to go raid Nurse's office and sell all his meds to Othello. :lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Whoa, hey, I never said that!