Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Hue

Re: Ask!

Post by Hue »

Silentcook wrote:The free dissemination of KS makes an actual count impossible, and I think we stopped counting even our site downloads a long while ago.

I'm a bit curious about that myself, so while I'm waiting to see if some fellow dev has harder data available, I think I can say that we have passed the millionth-download mark even by the most conservative estimate.
As not a dev but someone who ran a DDL mirror for a few weeks in 2012: by extrapolating the download rate back then, ~6 months after release, you would've crossed the million download mark back then already. At a 6 months-after-release rate. Not counting torrents. At least, if I recall correctly.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

It's not a question, but more of a curiosity. I was googling and I found this site about teas, or something like that. And there was this tea, created by someone. I'm not sure how the site works, or who puts the tea there, but the packaging includes images of Lilly and other characters from the game.

Edit: Oh, silly me. It seems like they are in the "fandom blends" section. Not sure if that changes anything, but, well.

I'm guessing you knew about this?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Kon22 wrote:It's not a question, but more of a curiosity. I was googling and I found this site about teas, or something like that. And there was this tea, created by someone. I'm not sure how the site works, or who puts the tea there, but the packaging includes images of Lilly and other characters from the game.

Edit: Oh, silly me. It seems like they are in the "fandom blends" section. Not sure if that changes anything, but, well.

I'm guessing you knew about this?
Someone in chat (or maybe on this very forum) pointed it out to us once, I think.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Yeah, and we didn't like it much either. :evil:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Out of curiosity, were you aware of the age rules for admission to Japanese school?

http://www.esri.go.jp/jp/archive/e_dis/ ... dis162.pdf is my source:
For example, primary schools in Japan accept entering students on April 1 and children who are age 6 by that day enter primary schools for that year. Thus those who are born in March (including April 1.) enter primary schools at an early age 6, while those who are born in April enter primary schools at almost age 7.
The Japanese school system is similar to that of the US. Compulsory education consists of 6 years of primary school and 3 years of junior high school. After junior high school, students can choose to attend 3 years of high school or 5 years of technical college (Kosen). After high school, the choices are 2 years of junior college or 4 years of college. There are graduate schools for advanced degrees afterward. For an illustration, see Figure 1. The school system is legally defined in the School Education Law (SEL) enacted in 1947. SEL article 22 requires parents to send their children to primary schools once their children will turn age six before the school starting day, which is April 1. Article 23 allows a delay in school entry due to children’s illness or underdevelopment, but this exception is rarely applied.
(The comment about "before the school starting day" is due to a quirk in Japanese age law - your age is incremented the day before your birthday, according to that article.)

This creates a problem with three characters, and also requires Hisao to have been born 1989-04-02 or later.

Lilly turned 18 on 2007-02-07 (and this is confirmed by Hanako in Lilly's route). Working backwards, 1995-02-07, she'd be 6, meaning she'd enter primary school in 1995, junior high school in 2001, high school in 2004, and her third year of high school in 2006. So, she missed a year somewhere. Where did she miss it? I doubt she'd fall under article 23, if it's rarely applied (unless her parents pulled strings in high places to get her start of school delayed for some reason or another).

Rin turned 18 on 2007-03-13 according to the website. Same thing, her third year was 2006 in that case, or she's 17 (it wasn't stated that she was 18). This one is easier to explain, though - she may well have fallen under article 23, as she could quite easily appear developmentally delayed.

Emi turned 19 on 2007-03-14 (she says she's a year older than Hisao, who's presumably 18 (Hisao implies that he's 18 in Lilly's route, although he doesn't outright state it), although she could've been mistaken). She also says that she was held back one year, but for her to be 19... yep, her third year would still be 2006. Was she held back another year, or is she actually 18?
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

...East Asian age reckoning? :mrgreen:

Anyway, no we didn't, or not to this degree. You can chalk this one up to localization, use some or all of the motivations you thought up yourself, or mistreat Hisao's age as required. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

bhtooefr wrote:Out of curiosity, were you aware of the age rules for admission to Japanese school?

http://www.esri.go.jp/jp/archive/e_dis/ ... dis162.pdf is my source:
For example, primary schools in Japan accept entering students on April 1 and children who are age 6 by that day enter primary schools for that year. Thus those who are born in March (including April 1.) enter primary schools at an early age 6, while those who are born in April enter primary schools at almost age 7.
The Japanese school system is similar to that of the US. Compulsory education consists of 6 years of primary school and 3 years of junior high school. After junior high school, students can choose to attend 3 years of high school or 5 years of technical college (Kosen). After high school, the choices are 2 years of junior college or 4 years of college. There are graduate schools for advanced degrees afterward. For an illustration, see Figure 1. The school system is legally defined in the School Education Law (SEL) enacted in 1947. SEL article 22 requires parents to send their children to primary schools once their children will turn age six before the school starting day, which is April 1. Article 23 allows a delay in school entry due to children’s illness or underdevelopment, but this exception is rarely applied.
(The comment about "before the school starting day" is due to a quirk in Japanese age law - your age is incremented the day before your birthday, according to that article.)

This creates a problem with three characters, and also requires Hisao to have been born 1989-04-02 or later.

Lilly turned 18 on 2007-02-07 (and this is confirmed by Hanako in Lilly's route). Working backwards, 1995-02-07, she'd be 6, meaning she'd enter primary school in 1995, junior high school in 2001, high school in 2004, and her third year of high school in 2006. So, she missed a year somewhere. Where did she miss it? I doubt she'd fall under article 23, if it's rarely applied (unless her parents pulled strings in high places to get her start of school delayed for some reason or another).

Rin turned 18 on 2007-03-13 according to the website. Same thing, her third year was 2006 in that case, or she's 17 (it wasn't stated that she was 18). This one is easier to explain, though - she may well have fallen under article 23, as she could quite easily appear developmentally delayed.

Emi turned 19 on 2007-03-14 (she says she's a year older than Hisao, who's presumably 18 (Hisao implies that he's 18 in Lilly's route, although he doesn't outright state it), although she could've been mistaken). She also says that she was held back one year, but for her to be 19... yep, her third year would still be 2006. Was she held back another year, or is she actually 18?
Konstantinov

Post by Konstantinov »

I have a question I'm not sure has been answered yet.

In regards to mental disabilities, why was it pointedly made a fact that Yamaku did not admit those with mental disabilities alone? Was there a line of thinking to this, or just something sewn into the storyline?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

It's just a detail about the setting that has no bearing to the story: Yamaku isn't that big of a school, and people with mental disabilities require different educational methods than those without. Yamaku isn't a kitchen sink of defective children, it's a specialized institution designed to accommodate already a pretty wide range of special needs, and would need a completely different set of internal infrastructure to be able to provide for kids with any significant mental disability.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Konstantinov

Post by Konstantinov »

Aura wrote:It's just a detail about the setting that has no bearing to the story: Yamaku isn't that big of a school, and people with mental disabilities require different educational methods than those without. Yamaku isn't a kitchen sink of defective children, it's a specialized institution designed to accommodate already a pretty wide range of special needs, and would need a completely different set of internal infrastructure to be able to provide for kids with any significant mental disability.
Danke.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

What's with this yellowish colorscheme?
More specifically, who chose it and why?
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Comrade wrote:What's with this yellowish colorscheme?
More specifically, who chose it and why?
I did that. Originally it was going to be surgical appliance pink, but my monitor at that time was badly calibrated so it ended up more beige than pink. The next prototype played around with old anatomy manuals scans, which fit the paper look nicely, but people thought it was too gruesome. But it just so happened that at the time we didn't have any good production art, only sketches, so I threw those in and decided that those fitted the paper look just as well, the rest of the UI (fonts, textures, lines etc) ended up being built around it. We never ended up changing it. I am not sure I like it a whole lot anymore, but that's probably from looking at it for 5+ years. At least it doesn't look extremely generic, only a little.
gullim92

Post by gullim92 »

Aura-senpai, will you marry me?
sanduba

Post by sanduba »

Is delta this delta? It's Kagetsu Tohya's credits.
Best story:
Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Emi > Shizune

best girl:
Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Rin

Eh, that's my opinion.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Same delta.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents