Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Yes, the story is not set in the year you're reading it in. This would've been difficult for us to pull off. Approximately as hard would've been setting it in the release year, because there was no way for us to know what year we were going to release. So the story is set in a year we were actually familiar with at the time we had to decide this.

Social media, as ubiquitous as it is now, was not a core part of people's lives 5-10 years ago (which is the setting of KS, roughly in 2007). Same for smart phones. Facebook, Twitter, iPhone - all of these have come to wider public consciousness after the events of KS. We also just didn't feel like making a point of something like Emi talking to people on mixi or other stuff that would've been chronologically realistic. She probably does, it just is irrelevant to the story.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Is Hisao's guess at Hideaki's age (15-16) right, or given that he also got Hideaki's gender wrong, did he get his age wrong (presumably too high of a guess)? If so, how old is Hideaki?
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
ksfan1989

Post by ksfan1989 »

Here's one that I just can't wrap my head around:

How are Shizune and Lilly related? I mean, I know they're cousins, but what's the connection? More specifically, where does the Satou family name fit into the picture?

If Lilly's father is Jigoro's brother, then they should share a family name. But if Lilly's mother is Jigoro's sister, Lilly's father would be Scottish and Lilly's family name should be Scottish. The only way I can figure out that this would work is if Jigoro took his wife's name, but given what we know about him that doesn't seem like something he'd be willing to do.

What am I missing here? Or is this just a plot hole?

Oh, and another question (hope I'm not asking too many!).

Who recorded the background voices for the "crowd" scenes? Like, in the cafeteria, there's a bunch of background chatter that's really hard to make out. Is that the devs? Any chance we can find out what's actually being said? It mostly sounds like nonsense but it's hard to make out clearly.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

^ Adding to the last question, also where did those crowds voices got recorded?

And... Do you know about Cards Against Humanity board/card game? I've seen an online browser adaptation of that game on Google, and upon checking up, seen that it also features cards with Katawa Shoujo theme too.
Here is the exact site: http://pyz.socialgamer.net/index.php
Did you know about this?
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

How are Shizune and Lilly related? I mean, I know they're cousins, but what's the connection? More specifically, where does the Satou family name fit into the picture?

If Lilly's father is Jigoro's brother, then they should share a family name. But if Lilly's mother is Jigoro's sister, Lilly's father would be Scottish and Lilly's family name should be Scottish. The only way I can figure out that this would work is if Jigoro took his wife's name, but given what we know about him that doesn't seem like something he'd be willing to do.
This one was answered a few times already somewhere in here. The statement that Jigoro and Lilly's dad are brothers turned out to be an oversight. In reality, they're brothers-in-law. Shizune's mother is the one whose last named used to be Satou.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

bhtooefr wrote:Is Hisao's guess at Hideaki's age (15-16) right, or given that he also got Hideaki's gender wrong, did he get his age wrong (presumably too high of a guess)? If so, how old is Hideaki?
He got it about right.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ksfan1989 wrote:Who recorded the background voices for the "crowd" scenes? Like, in the cafeteria, there's a bunch of background chatter that's really hard to make out. Is that the devs? Any chance we can find out what's actually being said? It mostly sounds like nonsense but it's hard to make out clearly.
This again.

The crowd noise is from some sound bank delta had, you can dig through the thread to find the exact one from the previous times this question has been asked. We don't know what's said.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Erenussocrates wrote:^ Adding to the last question, also where did those crowds voices got recorded?

And... Do you know about Cards Against Humanity board/card game? I've seen an online browser adaptation of that game on Google, and upon checking up, seen that it also features cards with Katawa Shoujo theme too.
Here is the exact site: http://pyz.socialgamer.net/index.php
Did you know about this?
I know I'm not a dev, but may I ask in which card pack? I've been playing for a while with the anime's one and I didn't see nothing. Don't know where those cards could be.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Kon22 wrote: I know I'm not a dev, but may I ask in which card pack? I've been playing for a while with the anime's one and I didn't see nothing. Don't know where those cards could be.
I just enabled every card pack except Polish translation category on that round, enabled everything, including all anime packs, and 4chan packs too. And I've seen two white cards related to KS on that same round. One was writing "Misha (from Katawa Shuojo)" and other was "Hanako (from Katawa Shuojo)". You should see them if you enable all anime cards maybe. Or just enable everything.

Mr. Aura, I hope you've noticed my notification about this matter.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

No I didn't know about the CAH cards, but that's an unofficial online clone of the game right? It's not surprising that a semi-popular game gets cards made out of it.
LemonPirate

Post by LemonPirate »

As a writer myself I often find that I will subconsciously (or consciously) draw Ideas or Inspiration from other novels or even historical events. As a writer yourself, how often and what did you draw inspiration off during the writing of KS, if at all and if your peers (the other writers in the dev team) did also draw ideas from other novels or events (non-personal)? If you could be specific that would be great :D
Thanks Aura :)

-LemonPirate
"I just wrote down PIRATE!" -Emi Ibarazaki
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I can't think at least off the top of my head of anything in KS that I've written where I could say something like "yeah this bit here, this was inspired by so-and-so", except I guess the part where I do a metaphor of the nature of art with a stanza from Blake's Auguries of Innocence. Inspiration and influence for me are more vague things, all the stuff that I experience melts together into some sort of concept soup from which I "get my ideas from". It's often not easy to pin down. That said, of course literature is and should be a massive continuous process, with writers of every generation being inspired by the ones before them and so on.
LemonPirate

Post by LemonPirate »

Aura wrote:I can't think at least off the top of my head of anything in KS that I've written where I could say something like "yeah this bit here, this was inspired by so-and-so", except I guess the part where I do a metaphor of the nature of art with a stanza from Blake's Auguries of Innocence. Inspiration and influence for me are more vague things, all the stuff that I experience melts together into some sort of concept soup from which I "get my ideas from". It's often not easy to pin down. That said, of course literature is and should be a massive continuous process, with writers of every generation being inspired by the ones before them and so on.
Thanks Aura, I couldn't have asked for a better answer :D
-LemonPirate
"I just wrote down PIRATE!" -Emi Ibarazaki
icannotfindausername

Post by icannotfindausername »

Why is my login not being recognized in the "Shimmie" section.
And for that matter; what the hell is the Shimmie section ?
"I'm perfectly sane, I'm perfectly sane, it's the whole goddamned world that's gone mad!" -Jin Kariya
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

LemonPirate wrote:As a writer myself I often find that I will subconsciously (or consciously) draw Ideas or Inspiration from other novels or even historical events. As a writer yourself, how often and what did you draw inspiration off during the writing of KS, if at all and if your peers (the other writers in the dev team) did also draw ideas from other novels or events (non-personal)? If you could be specific that would be great :D
Thanks Aura :)

-LemonPirate
I would be hard pressed to point at any one particular source that I drew on. The "I've got stuff to do" exchange was inspired by a similar scene from somewhere, but I can't remember where, or even if it was a cartoon, comic, book, or television show. Not the actual dialog, mind, but the shape of it drew on...something. Even at the time I couldn't remember the exact source, and the years have not helped.

So "at least once" is the best answer I can give, beyond "everything I've read, listened to, watched, and otherwise experienced, all the time" which is probably the more accurate thing to say.