Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Why are you in love with her?

Looks
13%
Personality
19%
Social skills
8%
Attitudes/interests
14%
Sex scenes
4%
Back-story
7%
Future potential
8%
Similarity to myself
11%
Dissimilarity from myself
4%
Similarity to a real-life person I love(d)
5%
Dissimilarity from a real-life person I hate(d)
1%
First I was familiar with ("First girl wins")
4%
Last I was familiar with ("Last girl wins")
0%
Other (explain in comments)
1%

Total votes: 271

monkeywitha6pack

Re: Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

Post by monkeywitha6pack »

ababol wrote: Rant's over. Damn, I can't believe I wrote so much. The original message was going to be so much shorter.
Don't worry bout it :D it's better for discussions like this
Wahahaha~.
Potato

Post by Potato »

ababol wrote:common interests. *lists only one interest*

It really makes sense that she makes such a point of understanding and loving her art, because in a very basic level, she is her art. She can be seen as the quintessential artist, and she fits the role good enough to turn her into a universal archetype.
Nice. :P I don't ever recall Rin making any point of understanding her art though. She paints, she enjoys it, but there's no understanding because there's nothing to understand. The closest thing to meaning that she ever seems to attach to her art is "I painted this because I felt like it." and there's really nothing to understand about that. It just is, and injecting some need to understand only ruins it.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
ababol

Post by ababol »

Potato wrote:
ababol wrote:common interests. *lists only one interest*

It really makes sense that she makes such a point of understanding and loving her art, because in a very basic level, she is her art. She can be seen as the quintessential artist, and she fits the role good enough to turn her into a universal archetype.
Nice. :P I don't ever recall Rin making any point of understanding her art though. She paints, she enjoys it, but there's no understanding because there's nothing to understand. The closest thing to meaning that she ever seems to attach to her art is "I painted this because I felt like it." and there's really nothing to understand about that. It just is, and injecting some need to understand only ruins it.
If I recall correctly, that's one of the reasons she gives in the neutral ending to leave Hisao: that he cannot understand her art, and, by extension, her. But I could be wrong.

It is not the need to understand that ruins it. It is the need to explain it. She didn't suffer a breakdown in the exhibition because the people wanted to understand. She did because they started asking questions. Or, in other words, because they didn't understand. She paints because she enjoys it, yes, but what she is doing is opening herself to the world. She is exhibiting herself and expecting that, when anybody sees one of her paintings, he/she thinks "Oh! I see! So that's how it is!" and just, well, understands. Or, as she hilariously put it, sees her on the inside. (Not in the way doctors and serial killers do). And the expression of a feeling, damn, that's definitely a meaning in art if there is one. I'd say THE meaning.
Potato

Post by Potato »

ababol wrote:She didn't suffer a breakdown in the exhibition because the people wanted to understand. She did because they started asking questions. Or, in other words, because they didn't understand.

So she didn't break down because people wanted to understand, she just broke down because the people didn't understand so they started asking questions...Because they wanted to understand. The need to explain art only arises when someone feels a need to understand that same art. That they didn't understand isn't an issue. They could have just enjoyed the pictures without understanding, to hell with meaning or intent, and Rin would've been fine. But they didn't because they had to understand it, so they badger her about it. Thus it is their need to understand, moreso than their lack of understanding, that creates trouble. In Rin's good end, Hisao still doesn't understand her but it's not a problem because he also stops needing to understand her. He just accepts that he doesn't quite get her. The lot at the exhibition don't accept that, preferring to pile questions on top of her.

And Rin isn't expressing a feeling in her art. She's expressing herself, in the most literal and complete way. Imagine trying to express the entirety of a human being in a painting. Plenty of art can be boiled down to a given feeling. Sadness, anger, joy...Rin's can't because she isn't painting feelings. Most artists are taking words or thoughts and putting them into paint form so when people ask questions, they can usually answer by drawing from the original thoughts. For Rin, who does not communicate often by words and only barely seems to understand even her own thoughts, the painting is all there is so when questioned, there are no answers that common people would accept. Imagine if instead of thinking in words, you thought in blobs of color. That's Rin. It isn't some particular feeling or idea turned into a painting, the painting is the idea itself. It's Rin. And like Rin, to strive for understanding is to ruin it. Those who get it will get it (Hisao, good end). Those who do not won't (Nomiya, and probably most at Yamaku). Those who do not, but insist that they must, are the ones who cause problems (Hisao, bad end...And everyone at the exhibition).
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
ababol

Post by ababol »

Potato

Post by Potato »

That just begs to have Nomiya's face 'shopped onto it... :lol:
Atario

Post by Atario »

ababol wrote:Lots of coherent words for a Rinbro
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rin people are kind of fascinating to non-Rin people.
Jailbreaker wrote:We need to understand.
What you did there — I am seeing it.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Emi! She was my first and only, (doing any other route would feel oddly like cheating to me) but I love her personality so much. It helps that her and I share an interest in running, and she does have a very nice... look, but it's just mostly how cute and little she can be while still being this fireball of determination and independence.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:doing any other route would feel oddly like cheating to me
Oh boy....

One of "those" people.

Haven't seen a new one of you in a while :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Potato

Post by Potato »

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. And you have no right to call favorites when you've only played one. :P
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. And you have no right to call favorites when you've only played one. :P
That really wrinkled my sprinkles...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
That really wrinkled my sprinkles...
I have never heard that precise combination of words before but I love you for saying it.

Seriously though, get over Emi and do the rest. :lol: 100% or nothing is how a real man plays. :P (Plus Hanako's cuter.)
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:Emi

(Plus Hanako's cuter.)
Heh. Reminded me of an old post of mine: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 10#p172458
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
cantataria

Post by cantataria »

hanako. i was really drawn to her at first, like I was starting on shizune's path but then I saw her a few times and immediately wanted to play her, so I aborted shizune's path to try to get to hers. A couple of manly picnics later I ended up on emi's path who I liked but again was like, nah, and stopped part way thru and finally got hanako (IDK why it took me so long, it's super easy to get to her path w/o walkthroughs unlike say, Rin).

anyway obviously she is adorable and has great hair. but idk, none of this is explicitly stated in the game but she is really sweet (her reaction to Lily and Hisao dating in that path for instance) and I feel like she would be really smart if not for missing all of those classes. also similar interests, I really feel like I know very few girls that are that into books and play chess etc (although she sort of took up those activities due to circumstance/being solitary). i think as she develops over time even though we only get a glimpse of it she will become a very genuine and awesome person, even if she's never super social or whatever.
Jack desu

Post by Jack desu »

Hanako

Hanako is my favorite for a number of reasons. For one I was also burned at a young age, my burns are exactly like hers, on the right side of my body, though mine are from the neck down. the Second would actually be the dissimilarity in our personalities. Hanako's an overly shy recluse I being pretty much the exact opposite. Thought being around too many people makes me antsy. Also I have an affinity for the shy quiet type.