Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mader Levap

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 11/20/2013}

Post by Mader Levap »

I do not think constraining yourself like that is good idea.
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Leaty wrote:Like what? This isn't a quota, it's how long I expect the chapter to be.
Indeed. Often when I start a chapter, I know how long it will be based on its outline. Usually I end up picturing a number nearer to 10k lately, which sometimes gets pushed up to 12ish, but that's because I know how I write.
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

Leaty wrote:Meh. Not really.
Is this a Fanfiction.Net feature or some writing software I've never seen before?
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Leaty wrote:The former. It's buried in the profile settings.
An author can view a traffic graph that shows visitors and views, broken down by chapter. This is the view off my TD posting there(the other 24 chapters are out of view):
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Although not entirely accurate, since I'm willing to bet most people read it here.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Blank Mage wrote:Although not entirely accurate, since I'm willing to bet most people read it here.
Well, yes. I know for fact that most of my readers probably do so here, largely because this is where I've posted everything first, and the same probably goes for Leaty. In my case, I had only posted the first 7 chapters there up until the end of January, at which point I dumped all the rest, so it hasn't had an update there in over a year - I didn't like the way the site was set up. Still, I've found it's useful to post there if only because they keep track of word counts and such, along with accurate traffic and visitor counts.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Helbereth wrote:
Blank Mage wrote:Although not entirely accurate, since I'm willing to bet most people read it here.
Well, yes. I know for fact that most of my readers probably do so here, largely because this is where I've posted everything first, and the same probably goes for Leaty.
Yes. There are a multitude of reasons as to why people like me prefer reading it here.
1.) You can't easily lose track of stories.
2.) The layout is simple, and updates are bumped to the top when new posts occur.
3.) The background is a warmer theme that makes reading for extended periods of time doable.
4.) The content posted here is, generally, of higher quality than some of the works there.
5.) The community is far more active and helpful.
6.) You can find all works from fiction to art here, on the same site with the same theme.

Onwards and et cetera.
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Just finished rereading this about a week ago and it's still as great as I remember it. The concept alone drew me in and the sheer quality of your writing kept me wanting more. Your use of vocabulary is commendable; not often I find myself having to look up a word here and there. Looking forward to seeing what you've got planned for the next update!

I wanted to put together a piece to accompany what I envisioned the CG of this route would be, but seeing as Iwanako has yet to pursue someone I decided that I'd do things a little differently and split the theme into two parts as opposed to just doing the one. Seeing as she's still caught up in quite a bit of turmoil, given her condition, I thought it would be best to kick things off with a relatively morose and sorrowful piece and then, once Iwanako has started to come to terms with her condition and becomes interested in someone, follow up with a happier, more exuberant theme.

Link: http://www.soundcloud.com/crimson-harmo ... kdown-pt-1

Hopefully it's to your liking! Keep up the great work. :D
ImageImageImage
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

Crimson wrote:Fan music awesomeness
Lovely piano playing -- nice and soft, no harsh notes. Just the way I like it. I particularly enjoy the turn past the 40-second mark. "Breakdown, Pt. 1" is vaguely reminiscent of "Painful History", I think. Was that intentional?

While we're at it, I just wanted to say your Katawa Bits set contains some of the most splendid 8-bit (16-bit?) tracks I've heard. While most bit renditions I've heard merely grind the original track through an audio filter and leave it at that, yours sound simply mesmerizing. Well done.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

@BadApple
Hey, thanks!
Interesting connection there. One of the earlier renditions of the track was very like Painful History, but I felt as though it wasn't going anywhere so I scrapped it. I hadn't noticed the similarity of the current one until you just pointed it out. Either way, it wasn't intentional, but it's cool that there is somewhat of a connection. Here's hoping that it's to Leaty's liking.

Thanks for the kind words in regards to Katawa Bits, too! I wanted to take an alternative approach to them and abandon the 'rules' associated with chiptunes. I actually started doing them to improve both my sheet-music reading capabilities as well as being able to tab by ear. I also wanted to put my own spin on them when it came to custom arrangements in some of the tunes. (Beginning of Painful History and the synth solo in Daylight, for example)

Apologies to both the mods and Leaty for getting a little off-topic there.
ImageImageImage
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Wow, really? That's incredible that you say that because I actually drew a lot from Yamaoka's work while I was doing that piece - particularly Promise, Not Tomorrow and none other than Theme of Laura itself - because I felt as though his music always captured the emotional depth of both the scenes and characters perfectly.

I'm really glad to see it is to your liking as the first few renditions ended up not really matching what I was going for, so it's good to see that this revision managed to hit home. It goes without saying that you're more than welcome and that I'm excited to see what the future updates will bring. :D
ImageImageImage
Leaty

Scene Thirteen

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 20 times in total.