Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 01/28/14 ~ C.43 - Mental Block

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It's a moment of Aiko referring to her reflection as a separate entity - haven't you ever done that?
Uh... No. I've always been pretty clear on how mirrors work ;-)
I can see how Aiko might do it, though. Like I said, I wasn't sure if you did it intentionally.
So, you've never gotten a call from someone who has blocked their outgoing number? Strange...
Actually no... It doesn't seem to be common to do that around here. The only times I get a call without a number is when someone calls from an old landline. I know it's possible to suppress... ah.. block the number going out from a mobile, but I don't know anyone who actually does that.
Plus the German term for blocking one's number translates to "suppress" so I made the wrong mental connection there. When I read "block" I thought someone was actively blocking the number from getting through. First I thought it was Aiko's blacklist then I thought about something like an anti-spam service provider.
Threesome is a word that simply means three people doing something together; the modern sexualized version is just more common nowadays. She meant it as a way of saying she'd like to join them in the game.
I understood that. I was just baffled that someone as experienced in innuendo as Aiko would use such an obviously dangerous word so innocently...
[WoW stuff]
I'll reply to that part in a PM so as to not bore other readers and keep the chef silent.^_^°
dewelar wrote:You aren't actually reading Developments, are you? :(
EDIT: Hmmm...actually, since you didn't know who she was here, she was probably just a random name when she popped up. That's actually a good thing, sort of
Oh you mean the girl who gets all of two lines on page 27 of your 42-page thread? (Wasn't easy to even find^^°) The only thing we learn about her is that she seems to be a friend of Rin, so I probably assumed she was either in 3-4 or in the art club.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
dewelar wrote:You aren't actually reading Developments, are you? :(
EDIT: Hmmm...actually, since you didn't know who she was here, she was probably just a random name when she popped up. That's actually a good thing, sort of
Oh you mean the girl who gets all of two lines on page 27 of your 42-page thread? (Wasn't easy to even find^^°) The only thing we learn about her is that she seems to be a friend of Rin, so I probably assumed she was either in 3-4 or in the art club.
Heh...that was meant to be a joke relating to how thoroughly you usually notice this stuff. Sorry it fell flat :( .

[/hijack]
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

dewelar wrote:*nods* I agree. That's one of the things I enjoy greatly about this story: the work you put in to show how your OCs interact with the ones from the VN, and do so fairly naturally. I think that's why the Lilly scene I mentioned a few chapters ago was a bit jarring -- it was only compared to how seamlessly it had been done up to that point that it jumped out.
For the record, that was supposed to be jarring. It comes out of left field for reasons that haven't yet been explained.
My interpretation of Misaki...
I have no expectations that anyone would worry about my interpretation of her, which I can already tell is fairly different from yours :) . So far, she's only appeared in one scene in Developments as well, although I have at least a couple more plotted out.
I very nearly had her wearing a camera throughout the scene and snapping pictures as she blathers nonsensically. Given how late we are in the story, I doubt she'll reappear, but like Aiko said: I like her.
Mirage_GSM wrote:...the German term for blocking one's number translates to "suppress" so I made the wrong mental connection there. When I read "block" I thought someone was actively blocking the number from getting through. First I thought it was Aiko's blacklist then I thought about something like an anti-spam service provider.
As English words often do, 'blocked' does double duty and can mean either a call with the number blocked, or a call on your spam list. That she bothers even thinking about it ought to have indicated which of the two she meant.
Threesome is a word that simply means three people doing something together; the modern sexualized version is just more common nowadays. She meant it as a way of saying she'd like to join them in the game.
I understood that. I was just baffled that someone as experienced in innuendo as Aiko would use such an obviously dangerous word so innocently...
It happens to the best of us... and in her defense, she does try to correct herself almost instantly. Amaya just picks it up and runs with it, straight into the gutter.
[WoW stuff]
I'll reply to that part in a PM so as to not bore other readers and keep the chef silent.^_^°
He is indeed lurking... already tried to bite my head off in a PM =) NBL, SilentCook!

Oh, and while I'm here I might as well mention that I just updated the TD posting on FanFiction.net. I posted links in the original post on the thread, but since I'm not sure whether anyone actually looks there anymore, I figured I'd toss the link in here.
Mournful3ch0

Re: Chapter 43 - Mental Block (part 3)

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Helbereth wrote:Squinting narrowly, I inquire, “Just how much did you tell them?”

He pauses for a moment, then lowers his voice to whisper, “Nothing about empirical data—figured that'd be too much information.”
Ah, I missed this so much! Feels like I can pick it right back up after a few months, no re-reading required (though I will when it's done). Some say that the best part of a gift is the anticipation, and I couldn't agree more. I mean, you can enjoy a fic so much more when you don't consume it all in one go! Also:
Helbereth wrote:Well, now that there's actually a new chapter, what does your cardiogram say?
Steady, though the alarm blared when I skipped a beat or two. Maybe next time, if you think you're lucky enough.
Helbereth wrote:“I dropped the pasta just before heading up here,...
Mirage_GSM wrote:She is? Yes, she is - this has to be the very first story that uses her...
Perhaps. So far.

I think this time I will refrain from shaving until the next chapter posts. I might have a solid beard by then.... ;) Thanks for the update!
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

I'd like to borrow a post from my own fic, if I may, regarding your treatment of Saki. Leave it to /u/Leaty to be the observationalist.
Leaty wrote:It's fascinating to me how Rika Katayama was originally conceived as a pastiche of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion, only for fanfiction authors to turn her into a effete fatalist adrenaline junkie. I think the latter is more interesting, but it's a strange experience, watching fanon disseminate in real time.
Similar to how Rika seems to have developed a pretty distinct personality in fanon over time, I can't help but notice Saki seems to have as well. I mean, we're given fairly little information about her other than she's in the art club and seems to always be smiling, but nothing to indicate she'd be overtly unpleasant. Then, we have Themocaw's Saki pseudo-route, which is a (then) unique take on her character, and since then, Saki has seemed to be more or less characterized as a raging, underhanded bitch.

Not that you didn't write that characterization well. I just thought it was interesting that you chose to include her as she's "fanonized" (is that a word? it is now) instead of in some other capacity.

Anyway, another well-written chapter as always. Welcome back!
Helbereth

Re: Chapter 43 - Mental Block (part 3)

Post by Helbereth »

Mournful3ch0 wrote:Ah, I missed this so much!
As did I.
Helbereth wrote:“I dropped the pasta just before heading up here,...
Yes, there might be a shot fired at the spaghetti dropping metaphor...
I think this time I will refrain from shaving until the next chapter posts. I might have a solid beard by then.... ;) Thanks for the update!
Beards are good - I have one: see.
forgetmenot wrote:Similar to how Rika seems to have developed a pretty distinct personality in fanon over time, I can't help but notice Saki seems to have as well. I mean, we're given fairly little information about her other than she's in the art club and seems to always be smiling, but nothing to indicate she'd be overtly unpleasant. Then, we have Themocaw's Saki pseudo-route, which is a (then) unique take on her character, and since then, Saki has seemed to be more or less characterized as a raging, underhanded bitch.
Saki's acerbic fanon characterization is why I couldn't read her route, and if I'm being totally honest, I've transplanted several characterizations from various parts of the expanded universe, including that of Rika, Taro, Saki, Suzu, Miki, and others - some of which have only had very brief cameo appearances. It's sort of my way to honor the fanon as much as the source material.
Not that you didn't write that characterization well. I just thought it was interesting that you chose to include her as she's "fanonized" (is that a word? it is now) instead of in some other capacity.
Honestly, I've adopted the fanonized (we can make that a word) version because it fit into what I needed for the scene. It's also possible that I just see Saki that way because of the version I read, and I think injecting an atomic bitch into a cast can do great things for a story... I just couldn't stand her being the headliner.
Welcome back!
Technically, I never left... but, thanks!
13loop

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 11/06/13 ~ C.42 - Unexpected Layov

Post by 13loop »

13loop wrote:Judging from Yoko's description of phase 2, I'm expecting either sultry underwear shopping or public karaoke.
I mean I did call it :)

Glad to see you're still alive! Hisao being on a boat is a pretty good reason for him being MIA. I never doubted him cheating on her(ok maybe a little, but Aiko's a catch and Hisao knows that), and i'm glad that mystery is solved. I want to say that Yoko is a keeper, and she should definitely tell her big secret someday,but maybe to other people first(Hisao and Tadao respectively).

Looking forward to the camping trip and to the lover's reunion! Only question is whether or not Aiko can last that long...
Helbereth

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 11/06/13 ~ C.42 - Unexpected Layov

Post by Helbereth »

13loop wrote:
13loop wrote:Judging from Yoko's description of phase 2, I'm expecting either sultry underwear shopping or public karaoke.
I mean I did call it :)
Yeah, well... it was either lingerie of swimwear considering they were in a mall. Maybe someday I'll post the whole montage sequence I wrote (it took up about 6,000 words, or more than half the chapter, which is why it got cut).
Glad to see you're still alive!
*checks pulse* Yeah, still beating.
Hisao being on a boat is a pretty good reason for him being MIA.
If I'm honest, I considered a few different locales for his family trip, but none of them quite had the stranding potential of being on a boat at sea - for a long while it was a ski trip because of Kaori, but I couldn't justify that happening in August.
Looking forward to the camping trip and to the lover's reunion! Only question is whether or not Aiko can last that long...
She survived spending the day dressing up and acting sexy with visions of mustache rides dancing in her head, so I think she'll be fine... maybe.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Glad to see a new update, amazing there are stories here that have been going more than a year and are still being updated
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Today, my English teacher used the term 'empirical data'.

Hard not to laugh my ass off. Goddamn it Helbereth.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Machoman wrote:Glad to see a new update, amazing there are stories here that have been going more than a year and are still being updated
So, you're saying I should abandon this lost cause?
Mournful3ch0 wrote:Today, my English teacher used the term 'empirical data'.

Hard not to laugh my ass off. Goddamn it Helbereth.
Unusual euphemism achieved! This is almost as good as the image someone posted of a road sign indicating that they were nearing 'Happy Valley'.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Helbereth wrote:Unusual euphemism achieved! This is almost as good as the image someone posted of a road sign indicating that they were nearing 'Happy Valley'.
Ah, yes. Page 38, if you ever want to see it again. I would understand.
Add another one to the tally.

Also, by the end of this there should be a leather-bound hardback version of this available for purchase.
OutofBlues

Post by OutofBlues »

Mournful3ch0 wrote: Also, by the end of this there should be a leather-bound hardback version of this available for purchase.
I'd shell out a goodly amount of money for that. Although with the way Helbereth writes, I'll probably have to get another bookshelf to hold the "Tomorrow's Doom" collection.
edruil

Post by edruil »

Helbereth wrote:This is almost as good as the image someone posted of a road sign indicating that they were nearing 'Happy Valley'.
That was me, and I guarantee - funny as it must have been for you, I probably endangered a few lives on the highway because I was cracking up so hard. It's just north of Phoenix if you're ever in the area and want to see it for yourself :P
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mournful3ch0 wrote:Also, by the end of this there should be a leather-bound hardback version of this available for purchase.
OutofBlues wrote:I'd shell out a goodly amount of money for that.
That's kind of you both to say, though I don't think I can monetize this in any way. Far as it departs from the source material, this is still fan fiction.
Although with the way Helbereth writes, I'll probably have to get another bookshelf to hold the "Tomorrow's Doom" collection.
Incidentally, I just looked it up and The Lord of the Rings trilogy (fellowship, towers, king) totals 481,000 words (15,000 unique). At present, Tomorrows doom rests at ~435,000 (14,000 unique), which means that a hard copy would take up almost as much space on a bookshelf.
edruil wrote:That was me, and I guarantee - funny as it must have been for you, I probably endangered a few lives on the highway because I was cracking up so hard. It's just north of Phoenix if you're ever in the area and want to see it for yourself :P
Well, don't go spinning off the road on my account. As for visiting Phoenix... yeah, probably not.