Concept: KS X Ring of Red

WORDS WORDS WORDS

SpcPotshot

Concept: KS X Ring of Red

Post by SpcPotshot »

I can't believe I'm actually doing this.... :oops:

Alright people, I just want to get a good read on the forums before deciding to post this here or elsewhere. I offer you this: Militia: A KS/ Ring of Red story, a side story to my main Ring of Red fic I'm going to be working on, and mostly an experiment for said main fic and practice to iron out kinks in my writing style.

If you have no idea what RoR was, here's the short version: Ring of Red is a turn based strategy game based in 1960's, politically divided Japan with really clanky, almost steampunk mecha. Bascially, the Korean War in Japan with giant, very real robots. Seriously, they make the VOTOMs look like Getter Robo. This story will take place in 2011, and as such, will have OCs on the RoR side, and they will be American, as they are the ones I think need work before I start on my main fic.

Crossovers? In my KS? Hersey! With American OCs!?! Extra hersey!

I know, I know, the makings of a bad fic. But, to be fair, they are military, and the US does have military bases in Korea and Japan. Anyway...

Changes to KS
*Yamaku is now at Kanazawa Castle in Ishikawa Prefcture, in (of course) Kanazawa. The canon location is now in North Japan, i.e. Commie territory, and as interesting as it would be, I had to move it. Also, there's a hospital right across the street. Logical spot.
* The KS crew will be in their second/starting their third year of college, based of canon of the main game taking place in 2007, they graduate in 2008, and do what any sane Japanese student does and takes a ronin year to study.
* Graduation also includes a 4 week training course for the military, even for those not eligible for regular service. This is similar to what happens in South Korea, and since RoR has both sexes in the military, everyone goes. In true Starship Troopers fashion (the book, not the movie) , they find something for everyone, if only to free up another soldier for the front line.

This will be a short fic, maybe 5 or 6 chapters, and I'm about a third of the way through the first. I want to do some prologue work, and I want to have the second chapter about half-way done before I post, so I give it until the end of Feb until then.

So, what say you?
Oddball

Re: Concept: KS X Ring of Red

Post by Oddball »

I don't know what Ring of Red is but if you want to write it, do so. Don't worry about what we think.
Not Dead Yet
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I do and I'm facepalming, but what the hey.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Sounds interesting enough. Don't know what Ring of Red is, but I'd read it.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

*cough*
Ring of Red
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Now what I know what it is, I'm even more interested. Kinda want to play that game now.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Never heard of that game before.
I don't really see much overlap between that scenario and KS, and I'm quite sceptical as to it making a good story.
If you want to try, feel free, though.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
SpcPotshot

Post by SpcPotshot »

I'm honestly not expecting it to be good, it's just an experiment. I need the practice.

Mainly, since there is an agreement for what the KS characters should act like, I can get feedback about them staying in character. Also, having established characters interact with OCs might help flesh them out more. Also, since I will be adding 50 some odd years to RoR history, I want to know if the setting seems plausible or thought out at the very least.

I studied the Cold War a lot when I was in college, and my graduating project was on post-war Japan, so I hope I can build a halfway believable world.