For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 11/1/19)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

ProfAllister

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (New Chapter 1/18)

Post by ProfAllister »

AnathRaema wrote:
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Hisao rooting Misha is canon
Why am I not surprised you're an Aussie just from you using the term rooting.
It works perfectly fine if you interpret it in the sense of "exploiting the code in order to gain administrative access, allowing you to execute code and access features intended to be off-limits by the manufacturer."

And that sounds REALLY dirty...
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

ProfAllister wrote:
AnathRaema wrote:
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Hisao rooting Misha is canon
Why am I not surprised you're an Aussie just from you using the term rooting.
It works perfectly fine if you interpret it in the sense of "exploiting the code in order to gain administrative access, allowing you to execute code and access features intended to be off-limits by the manufacturer."

And that sounds REALLY dirty...
This is exactly what I meant.

Yes.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Atario

Post by Atario »

ProfAllister wrote:to compound matters, the "Disable Adult Content" sequence fits on a bit TOO seamlessly tacked onto the end of the actual scene.
No joke! I was imagining a drastically different direction this whole thing was going when I hit that part. "Did ProfAllister turn into Doomish when I wasn't looking??"
Also, calendars.
Not getting the reference. Little help?
The narwhal, or narwhale (Monodon monoceros)…[snip]
No, I know what a narwhal is. I'm just wondering why a narwhal. (This isn't going to turn into a reddit reference, is it…?)
You're looking at it through Hisao's eyes. If you could look at the situation through Lilly's eyes, things might be different.
Well, not just the unkind assumptions and animosity for Shizune, though there is that. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but when she calls the huge narwhal "appropriate"…is she likening Misha to a whale?
Hell, if Lilly could look at the situation through Lilly's eyes, things might be different. :p
Imagine the scene. For no reason, suddenly, standing right there in the middle of Tanabata, her eyes start working. "Goodness! This certainly is a most unusual… holy mackerel, that's a big narwhal!"
Thank you?
I do similar things in mine. So consider it a narrow-eyed, smiling nod of the head.
It beats "Dongasaurus Rex".
Tried doing an image search for this. Was sorely disappointed.
You can't prove anything.
I should start posting comments like this at random: "Typo: grabthar EDIT: he fixed it, never mind"
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Atario wrote:
ProfAllister wrote:Also, calendars.
Not getting the reference. Little help?
I believe the good professor is implying that this is the day Emi goes into the city to visit her father's grave. It would be around the right time for it (although I have it happening a couple days earlier in my story).
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Atario

Post by Atario »

dewelar wrote:I believe the good professor is implying that this is the day Emi goes into the city to visit her father's grave.
Hm, ok. Still would look like psycho behavior to anyone who didn't know that. Even knowing that, it still looks a little psycho…

nahbutualright

Post by nahbutualright »

This was fantastic, but I'm disappointed in you for not including a "precious bodily fluids" line during Kenji's scene.
Maradar

Post by Maradar »

Well. the wait was absolutely worth it. This is your best chapter yet. Very well done, and I love the way you subtly added the basis of another character into the story and took Shizune and the student council out of it, making it a Hisao-Shiina chapter just about entirely. Also There was one point in the story where Misha was misha, and I'm too lazy to go look for it, or maybe I'm just drunk. Anyways, thanks for writing!

I have a minor arrhythmia and a couple of other heart conditions. Small world.
Also I love these forums.
Mader Levap

Post by Mader Levap »

Atario wrote:Imagine the scene. For no reason, suddenly, standing right there in the middle of Tanabata, her eyes start working.
...and her brain spontaneously reorganize and form ex nihilo visual core (otherwise practically nonexistent due to non-use) to support, understand and properly process visual imagery. And her memories are filled with colors, lines, movements and shapes to properly identify narwhal (among other things). And... And... *insert moar nitpickage*. Your brain does shitton of work before you actually "see" in your consciousness scene before your eyes.

Okay, enough of this OT. Sorry.
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Mader Levap wrote:Imagine the scene. [stuff][/stuff]
I was thinking similarly, but with the whole Kenji ending thing I didn't really care after that CrackFic turn.
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Atario

Post by Atario »

Mader Levap wrote:
Atario wrote:Your brain does shitton of work before you actually "see" in your consciousness scene before your eyes.
I know. But as long as we're transcending the impossible, why not go for broke?

Etokie

Post by Etokie »

Why does everyone here seem to love Kenji?. I can't stand him, every appearance in the game annoyed me. And every time he appears in a fic i groan internally. So please explain what is so good about him?
I love everyone. Ignore me
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Etokie wrote:So please explain what is so good about him?
Not quite sure how to put this into words.

He is that crazy uncle who tells you stories that you haven't believed since you were a kid. Fun in small doses, I suppose.
Though, for the record, I agree. Not a fan of Kenji in more-than-necessary amounts.
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Atario

Post by Atario »

Etokie wrote:Why does everyone here seem to love Kenji?. I can't stand him, every appearance in the game annoyed me. And every time he appears in a fic i groan internally. So please explain what is so good about him?
I felt like this about him at first. But then I stopped taking him at face value, and more as the comic relief he is. Then he grew on me. And from a fanfic writing point of view, he's really fun to write for.

pip25

Post by pip25 »

Atario wrote:And from a fanfic writing point of view, he's really fun to write for.
Agreed, he's extremely fun to write. :D It's like, as long as you don't intend to take him seriously, it's impossible to get things too weird when it comes to Kenji. This chapter is a good as example of that, actually. (Well, the first part of it at least. That "alternative scene" is a different matter entirely.)
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Atario wrote:
The narwhal, or narwhale (Monodon monoceros)…[snip]
No, I know what a narwhal is. I'm just wondering why a narwhal. (This isn't going to turn into a reddit reference, is it…?)
If there ever comes a day when redditors are the only people allowed to like narwhals, then there is no longer any hope for humanity. But I'll turn the question back on you: Is Misha's reasoning not sufficient?
You're looking at it through Hisao's eyes. If you could look at the situation through Lilly's eyes, things might be different.
Well, not just the unkind assumptions and animosity for Shizune, though there is that. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but when she calls the huge narwhal "appropriate"…is she likening Misha to a whale?
That is one possible interpretation. Not what I had in mind, but it's certainly possible that that's how Hisao could have interpreted the comment.
nahbutualright wrote:This was fantastic, but I'm disappointed in you for not including a "precious bodily fluids" line during Kenji's scene.
Can't throw everything out in one spectacular blaze of glory. Especially not if I want the story to consist of something other than a rapid-fire barrage of references.
Etokie wrote:Why does everyone here seem to love Kenji?. I can't stand him, every appearance in the game annoyed me. And every time he appears in a fic i groan internally. So please explain what is so good about him?
That's a tricky one. I will agree with the others - it's extremely fun to write Kenji (although I think many writers DO go overboard - myself included, though tongue-in-cheek, in this very "Disable Adult Content" scene ).

First off, there's the fact that his appearances focus on a very specific sort of humor, which some people enjoy more than others. If you aren't into that sense of humor, that probably kills any chance of you liking Kenji. However, like the rest of the characters in the VN, there's a depth that reaches beyond his initial impression. Admittedly, he's still pretty shallow, but he does manage to get a few scenes where he fits as more than a comedy relief character.

Overall, I generally categorise Kenji as "mostly harmless." He's there primarily as a sort of reality anchor to Hisao (odd as that sounds). One of the key things he brings to the table is perspective (again, odd as that sounds). As the title of his theme song implies ("Out of the Loop"), he's detached from Hisao's drama and girl problems. Every once in a while, while Hisao's focused on whatever his current issue with the chosen girl, Kenji pops in to serve as a bit of a reminder that there's more to life and more to the world than whether or not (for example) Emi is emotionally ready to have a boyfriend as opposed to a friend with benefits. So he does in fact serve a narrative purpose. And, appropriately enough, his narrative purpose somewhat mirrors that of Yuuko.

But, to point back to our overall context here, keep in mind that this story focuses on Misha, who's probably #4 on the list of "most disliked" (coming after Nomiya, Jigoro, and Kenji).
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server