Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

russianspy1234

Re: Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

Post by russianspy1234 »

Eligre wrote:Pimmy, Deimos, thank you, but I would ask you do not defend me, nor support me in any visible way, a kind word in a PM will do. I know 4chan has a thing for liking to hate people who are different from them, which is why they all wear masks and refer to themselves as Legion, and I would not want either of you to be targeted because I am, as others have stated, an outdated, lofty, individual, with their own opinions.

And yes, I have played the game. I enjoyed it. Greatly. I cannot wait for the full version to come out. (Wait... watch the hyperbole, an Android is in the midst, everything is face-value!) I mean, I can wait, but with great anticipation. I've gotten 100% on it, with only using the walkthrough for "Slow Recovery", just like everyone else here. (I can give screens of the % and final all-endings completion if you want).

However, that does not translate into dating someone disabled. It is a Visual NOVEL. Something you read. I don't believe in dragons, but I love dragonlance. I am atheist (not anti-theist, friendly android, but non-theist) but still read religious texts, as many of them are entertaining. You do not need to live something to enjoy reading about it. It's not like I said they're evil creatures and this VN should be a moral lesson like Pocahontas to me.

So once more, date? no. Read about and enjoy the idealistic thought, artwork, and narrative? Yes.

And to defend against the slings and arrows myself: I drop my argument. Everyone else here is right about my thoughts being wrong. I will not be swayed into debate after I have posted Introduction, Rebuttal, and Conclusion, however since you all feel so strongly about it, though, I will acquiesce and say you're right. Happy? If new facts beyond the three (and it was only three facts, the rest was opinion) I mentioned arise, I'd love to chat. Other than that, if you have critical personal grievances with what I say, use "Report Post", that is what it is there for (The little ! in a triangle in the corner of this post), or take it to Private Messages.
i dont know about the rest, but my problem with your post wasnt that you were saying you wouldnt date someone with a disability. hell, there are some disabilities that i wouldnt want to date, and your criteria for what you want arent even all that unreasonable, where you lost me though, was when you said no one else should date them either, and their genes should not continue.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Eligre wrote:Happy?
Not in the slightest. You see, that isn't the point. The cornerstone of the viewpoint you've presented is that those who cannot thrive on their own, unassisted by another human being, must not reproduce. The only thing I took issue with is the reason you attempted to back that assertion with, and you have acceded that it was unfounded. The question I put to you now is, "Why do you feel they must not reproduce?"

That's what this all comes down to. If you can find a basis in which to support your views that's great (and I'll enjoy trying to poke holes in it like before :D ), but if you can't... What comes next? That is what I want you to think about, Eligre. How does this effect your values? :|
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Eligre wrote:I know 4chan has a thing for liking to hate people who are different from them, which is why they all wear masks and refer to themselves as Legion.
Don't go confusing /b/ with the rest of 4chan. All the other boards are a massive step up from them.

And just because some of us browse 4chan doesn't mean we're complete jackasses and can't act civilised. Some of us do that kind of shit on 4chan just to let off some steam, while I myself usually act rather courteous on there (by 4chan standards). IRL, we're all just normal people who happen to have some kind of common interest.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
cowen

Post by cowen »

Technically, yes, I would date a girl (or guy) with a physical disability. My only preferences for dating are actually the following...
  • First friendship, then love - I think with my heart, not my loins
  • At least three shared interests - Need to have some sort of conversation starter
  • Open-minded, somewhat immoral, and preferably liberal - I refuse to date and most times even befriend prudes, the righteously moral, and most conservatives
Other than that, anyone with a disability (or without) I'd consider befriending first, then maybe going for. This is, of course, theoretically speaking, as I've only had two girlfriends, one disabled (manic-depressive, and not physically disabled unless you count her lack of height as such.), the other being an online fling with a 'regular' otaku.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

cowen wrote:
Why the hell can't you think with both? I mean sure you can get yourself a conflict of interest, but if there's no conflict then there's no problem. She's perfect, wouldn't you say?
[*]At least three shared interests - Need to have some sort of conversation starter
I think you have quite an arbitrary number there.
[*]Open-minded, somewhat immoral, and preferably liberal - I refuse to date and most times even befriend prudes, the righteously moral, and most conservatives[/list]
So an open-minded liberal can't be moral? A moral person isn't necessarily in your face about it, you know.

Yanno, I think I'm gonna go make a thread for you all to post your naive little ideals. And mine too! You just watch, it'll be awesome. Don't you all go stealin' my OP either.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Caesius wrote:
cowen wrote:
  • Open-minded, somewhat immoral, and preferably liberal - I refuse to date and most times even befriend prudes, the righteously moral, and most conservatives
So an open-minded liberal can't be moral? A moral person isn't necessarily in your face about it, you know.
Moral by whose arbitrary standards? You don't have to be moral to have ethics. (There is an important, if subtle, difference between the two.) Besides, you're putting words in his mouth. He never wrote anything inflamatory about liberals, though you did with your accusatory question. All he implied is that he prefers to go out with people who hold a similar viewpoint to his own, which is understandable.

I prefer to surround myself with people of varying opinions and who are willing to challenge my assumptions about the world because I believe "open-mindedness" is an ongoing process anyone may choose to engage in. (...rather than some nebulous, immutable attribute you can simply ascribe to the people you agree with and then stop thinking, like most people I've encountered seem to do. *grumble lemmings grumblegrumble*)
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

vermithrx wrote:Moral by whose arbitrary standards? You don't have to be moral to have ethics. (There is an important, if subtle, difference between the two.) Besides, you're putting words in his mouth. He never wrote anything inflamatory about liberals, though you did with your accusatory question. All he implied is that he prefers to go out with people who hold a similar viewpoint to his own, which is understandable.
Moral by their own arbitrary standards. I too take issue with self-righteous bible-thumpers, but I also take issue with people who are deliberately immoral for whatever reason, such as by stealing. If by "somewhat immoral" he meant "someone who doesn't see anything wrong with casual sex" then I can understand where he's coming from, but that's not what he wrote.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

I do believe that's what he implied though.

A wrong choice of words, is all.
Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Sure why not? :roll:
"...!"
Gilboron

Post by Gilboron »

Depends... I'm at least sure that I wouldn't go on a date with someone because she had a disability, nor would I not go on a date with someone because of a disability. I think whether it would influence my decision or not depends largely on which disability. I think the ability to communicate easily would be the most important for me.
WARNING: The above post may contain awesomeness.
Gilboron™ cannot be held responsible if your head explodes.
Guess

Post by Guess »

cowen wrote:
loins: Fuck 'er. Fuck 'er. Fuck 'er.....
brain: Tap it. Tap it. Tap it....
heart: ........ what? I'm just here to pump some blood. If you wanna do some pumpin' of your own, it's fine by me.
me: Okay!
blackrising

Post by blackrising »

I don't really have much experience when it comes to disabled people, but I found myself wondering exactly that as of late since there's a new girl in schook who sits in a wheelchair because her body is pretty deformed.
So, from what I can tell, I wouldn't mind at all. I really don't care abour appearances, but I have a pretty high standard when it comes to the mind. Dumb girls/guys are a BIG turn-off, no matter how pretty/handsome they are.
Misha worshipper to the core. WAHAHAHA~

Misha>Rin=Hanako=Lilly>>Shizune>Emi

Since I was no bigger than a weavil they've been saying I was evil
That if "bad" was a boot that I'd fit it
That I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately
O fuck it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
carbonartistmonked

Post by carbonartistmonked »

jeez, beauty is in the eye of beholder
like how some find shizune a beau
and some find her un-beau :o
a member of carbon artist associates and P.R.O.J.E.C.T.

Pure.Rubbish.Old.Junk.Enters.Comic.Theories

Post by Guest »

Although I am strongly for believing in personality over all else, I can't help but feel loving a disabled person (varying depending on disability) might just be too much strain on the mind and body. For example, is she/he resonably capable? Can she/he fend for her/himself? If you don't carfully consider the disabilities and how you're going to work through them, your relationship might end rather ubruptly simply because of the strain of taking care of her/him.

You might argue that if your truly in love with them you can get through anything, but hey, almost every divorce started out as love in the beginning. So to answer your question,if I believe I can make it through all the difficulties that arise because of the disability then yes, but if I simply couldn't take the emotional, intellectual, and physical strain then no, I would not date a disabled person.

Unless that disabled person was Rin, then I would cut my own legs off just to date her.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Guest wrote:Unless that disabled person was Rin, then I would cut my own legs off just to date her.
Wow, thats some "dedication"... and a bit scary. :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?