Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Emi bad ending
16%
Hanako bad ending
11%
Lilly bad ending
4%
Rin 1st bad ending (Fight End)
7%
Rin 2nd bad ending (Rain End)
25%
Shizune bad ending
16%
Kenji
17%
Other
4%

Total votes: 105

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

First off, the definition I am using for bad end:
- If in an ending the two main characters separate and are both unhappy about it, that ending is a bad one.
- If the main character dies, the ending is a bad one.

As for my opinion:
- I'm on the fence between Emi's ending and Rin's second bad ending. Both leave both characters broken and offer little to no chance for reconciliation. Both elicited a strong but different response in me: Emi's had a cold block of ice form in my stomach while Rin's had me in tears. In fact I'm allowing two options per user simply because I can't decide^^°
- Lilly's bad end ends with Lilly leaving the country for good, so there's also little chance of them getting together again, but the way Lilly acted like a bitch before that made it hard for me to feel too bad about it.
- Hanako's bad end is probably the angriest, but for the same reason I think it would be possible to fix it once Hanako has calmed down again, and Hisao apologizes. I don't think Hanako is the type to reject such an apology.
- Shizune's bad end didn't affect me all that much. They didn't have much of a relationship anyway, so I couldn't really see it succeed in the first place.
- Rin's first bad end doesn't really feel like a bad end to me at all. They have the exact same confrontation later on on the good end path and they are able to work things out, so why shouldn't they be able to in this case?
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Kyler Thatch

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Mirage_GSM wrote:- If the main character dies, the ending is a bad one.
Unless we expand the question to include fanfiction, there's really only one end that applies here. :lol:

I'm not entirely sure how Hanako's non-good endings rank against each other. Mostly this depends on what happens in the aftermath of the bad end, which I know has been the subject of much speculation and debate. The sense of finality in Hisao's words is, strictly speaking, only a reflection of his present emotion. But ending the story at that point implies something about the future as well.
Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

Both of Rin's endings. Right now I am not entirely sure which. Without rereading I remember the "rain" end as feeling worse, although I guess it is open ended enough to leave room for a reasonably good outcome. To me, what sets Rin's endings apart is that it is not just her relationship with Hisao that failed, but Rin herself is in such a bad situation. Her breaking up with Hisao seems secondary to her struggle with being an artist. The future will be all about whether she can make that work for her.

I think the others have a much better chance of getting over the failed relationship and being fine in the end. For example I don't see Emi's bad end as on the same level. It's a setback, a huge missed opportunity. However she is tough. That won't break her. One can hope that she draws the right lessons from what happened. I think her first steps towards opening up to Hisao are steps in the right direction even if Hisao was found wanting in the end.

Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but I think Hanako may come out of all this stronger than before in all her endings. I'd say she shows the least growth in her neutral end. Her bad end is painful for everyone involved, but ultimately it is a moment of strength for her.

It seems that I just don't care that much about the relationship as long as the characters are fine.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Kyler Thatch wrote:Unless we expand the question to include fanfiction, there's really only one end that applies here. :lol:
Kenji's end is the reason I even included this point.
For example I don't see Emi's bad end as on the same level. It's a setback, a huge missed opportunity. However she is tough. That won't break her. One can hope that she draws the right lessons from what happened. I think her first steps towards opening up to Hisao are steps in the right direction even if Hisao was found wanting in the end.
Well, I don't think Emi is broken... She is still functioning.
But in that end she has shown to be unable to form a healthy relationship twice now, and that is only partly Hisao's fault. Not being able to open up about an event that is so far in the past even to a boyfriend does not speak well for her ability to overcome that problem in the future...
There are other interpretations of course, but that was what I was thinking at the time.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Imossel

Post by Imossel »

In my opinion, since the thread's name is "Which ending(s) do you consider the worst? ". I consider shizune's and rin's good ending the worse.Why?

Shizune's good ending result in a total "hypocrite" ending, like "yeah we know that the day we'll separate, all of this is going to be over". And I don't know, it feels odd to me, worse than a fight resulting in a separation.
And for Rin, I don't know why, I didn't liked this ending, I got the good ending first, and I sincerely wanted a bad ending. Because these discussions between Rin and Hisao felt like they would've never be able to be in a relationship. Plus I felt like Rin went to Hisao because he was her only "solution", like "Meh, I've got nothing to do, so let's get fcked by Hisao. Better than nothing I guess"
Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

Imossel wrote:Shizune's good ending result in a total "hypocrite" ending, like "yeah we know that the day we'll separate, all of this is going to be over". And I don't know, it feels odd to me, worse than a fight resulting in a separation.
I don't see that as hypocritical at all. It may not be very romantic, but if that's what they feel, then that's brutally honest, if anything. That ending provides more closure than any of the other good endings. At least we know that their relationship ends on good terms with everyone involved reasonably happy. Most likely they will keep that happy memory for the rest of their lives. All the other relationships have a major challenge just a few months ahead.
Atario

Post by Atario »

I feel like you left a pretty critical word out of your question…"bad". Was really confused at first.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Imossel wrote:In my opinion, since the thread's name is "Which ending(s) do you consider the worst? ". I consider shizune's and rin's good ending the worse.Why?

Shizune's good ending result in a total "hypocrite" ending, like "yeah we know that the day we'll separate, all of this is going to be over". And I don't know, it feels odd to me, worse than a fight resulting in a separation.
And for Rin, I don't know why, I didn't liked this ending, I got the good ending first, and I sincerely wanted a bad ending. Because these discussions between Rin and Hisao felt like they would've never be able to be in a relationship. Plus I felt like Rin went to Hisao because he was her only "solution", like "Meh, I've got nothing to do, so let's get fcked by Hisao. Better than nothing I guess"
I agree with your outlook on Shizune's ending, I honestly found more 'emotional worth' in her bad ending than her 'neutral' ending (I wouldn't even really call it a good one). I sort of disagree with your take on Rin's ending though, but I could see how you'd see it that way. I imagine that after the good ending she seems at peace with everything and that shes finally happy with herself, mainly because of that end quote "What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?" and that genuine smile that shes giving. I really wish there was a canon epilogue for that, as it seems like they'd be leading a more stable relationship, or she could've ended up just like the art gallery director's late husband, and maybe Hisao was okay with that because at least he finally understood her.
As far as my most disliked ending, (I guess that's what you mean by worst) I'd have to say it was Shizune's neutral ending, but to add a little more I'd say my 2nd most disliked would be Emi's bad ending. I can't explain it, but I didn't even really feel much emotion towards it even though it was a very heated thing, it just seemed like Hisao completely gave up, which was out of his mindset completely.

The one that made me feel the worst though was Lilly's neutral ending. It was the saddest thing I had ever seen,how it's drawn out for so long, with Hisao just coming to terms to the fact that Lilly is going to be gone forever, how Lilly has the best intentions, offering for a long-distance relationship, even though both of them know it wouldn't work. I could completely relate to how powerless Hisao felt in that situation andit broke my heart.
~Once you pop, the feels don't stop~

Atario

Post by Atario »

Mirage_GSM wrote:the way Lilly acted like a bitch
Sorry, what?

Atario

Post by Atario »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I don't think Emi is broken... She is still functioning.
But in that end she has shown to be unable to form a healthy relationship twice now, and that is only partly Hisao's fault. Not being able to open up about an event that is so far in the past even to a boyfriend does not speak well for her ability to overcome that problem in the future...
This. It made me really sad to think of her going her whole life bouncing from one meaningless short-term relationship to another, till finally she's old and alone (alone regardless of whether she's "with" anyone at any given moment).

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I'd say Kenji's, Hanako's neutral, and Rin's second bad ending are tied.

Kenji's ending for obvious reasons, character death.

Hanako's neutral, and not her bad ending, because I think Hanako's just stubborn enough to stay alive just to spite Hisao and maybe Lilly in her bad ending, but in her neutral ending, she knows she can never have what she wants, and she may just one day, without warning, kill herself.

Rin's second bad ending is the one that feels most like it would cause Rin to commit suicide. I know Aura said that Rin isn't the type to commit suicide, but then why foreshadow it? Alternately, could easily be an unintentional fatal overdose.

So, I'm voting Hanako because she's my favorite character, but I don't mean the bad ending, and also voting for Kenji. (Because Rin is my least favorite character, and there's a maximum of two options...)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
monkeywitha6pack

Post by monkeywitha6pack »

See I feel shizunes good end was perfect for the route and their relationship.
See the route didn't focus very heavily on the relationship of the two so why should the end focus on it? I feel her route was more focused on misha and her depression the the relation ship but I don't find that' as a bad thing. But shizunes bad end and rins 'neutral' end are the only ends that left me tearing up. Although I never saw hankakos neutral ending it was described to me so I know what happens maybe it would feel different to play it.
Wahahaha~.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Before I answered this, I had to think about what makes an ending bad. In terms of the game, I think that means bad in terms of the relationship, so I'm setting aside how the endings might affect the girls or even Hisao (and disqualifying Kenji). From that perspective, I voted for Emi, because I think it puts their relationship in the least recoverable position. Other endings might hint at things turning out badly, but to me none of them really have the finality of Emi's.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hanako's neutral, and not her bad ending, because I think Hanako's just stubborn enough to stay alive just to spite Hisao and maybe Lilly in her bad ending, but in her neutral ending, she knows she can never have what she wants, and she may just one day, without warning, kill herself.
Hanako isn't going to kill herself., If she was going to, she would have done it before she even met Lilly and Hisao. Before them, she didn't think "friend" was something that really existed and they repeatedly make references to her being better than she used to be.
Not Dead Yet
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

But, thinking she got something, and then losing it could stress her more than not getting something in the first place.

I think Rin is more likely to kill herself - even if it's an accident - though, than Hanako.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!