The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bhtooefr

Re: The "feels" bazaar.

Post by bhtooefr »

And I could actually see Hanako finding it easier to associate with fellow cynics and misanthropes in the right contexts.

I've got a vision of Hanako and Akira drinking cheap beer fine scotch and/or wine, lamenting about how life sucks and then you die, or something.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

And I could actually see Hanako finding it easier to associate with fellow cynics and misanthropes in the right contexts.
I don't know about that. Just because Hanako has a misanthropic side doesn't mean she likes that part of herself. In fact, she suggests in her good ending that she doesn't like that side of herself, but it still influences her thoughts at times. I think that Hanako wouldn't be very comfortable among cynics...it'd be like being surrounded by funhouse mirrors.
I've got a vision of Hanako and Akira drinking cheap beer fine scotch and/or wine, lamenting about how life sucks and then you die, or something.
While Akira has a bitter side, I don't think her cynicism is quite as bad as Hanako's. Akira's cynicism is a lot more focussed and she doesn't distrust people in general. Also, Hanako and Akira drinking together probably wouldn't get to that point due to Hanako's absurdly low alcohol threshold and Akira's absurdly high one.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

To be fair, I did say the right contexts.

And Akira could have pregamed. That's what she did when she almost have that speech to Hisao...
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Well I finally finished all the endings, ending with Lilly's Good ending...
I cried, genuine tears rolled down my face when it seemed that Lilly was gone for good, when Hisao chased after her absolutely without any regard for himself, and when that music box started playing faintly in the hospital room. I couldn't stop it, cause I didn't want to. Man I love this VN
~Once you pop, the feels don't stop~

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I keep hoping I can work Hanako's cynicism into my stories somehow, especially since I think I know how she'd think. I like to think of myself as a good person and I do my best to be nice to people. But like Hanako, I've been shit on a lot growing up, to the point that I think human beings in general are cruel, greedy, stupid creatures who I actually hate. I suspect deep down she feels the same way. But in the context of a love story, theres not really much oportunity for her to express it.

And yeah, I always suspected Hanako might have had a bit of hero worship, if not an outright crush on Akira. After all, shes energetic, outspoken and a bit agressive. All things I suspect she wishes she could be.
Last edited by pandaphil on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I actually always felt that if there was a Satou sibling Hanako wishes she could be like, it'd be Lilly. Seeing how girly Hanako is, I don't see her wishing she could become more tomboyish like Akira. Lilly's rather girly herself, but also confident, assertive and elegant. Oh and unlike Hanako, Lilly can actually rely on her gut instincts while cooking food and have it turn out alright. Lilly's personality traits are the ones that are culturally deemed desirable for females while Akira's are...less so. If Hanako were more like Akira, people would probably still give her frowns.

That said, in a certain way, Hanako is a lot more like Akira than like Lilly. Mostly the "broken bird"-way.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I've seen little bits and pieces of Hanako's bad end, and believe me, that conviction only grew stronger. I follow what I feel is being said to my soul, over any human logic. Cause quite frankly, human logic is extremely shortsighted. Especially when it comes to dealing with another person. I live on intuition. And I have a very strong feeling that seeing all the details will change something I don't want changed.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:spiritual convictions
That's a really pretentious way of saying "I'm scared of feeling bad!" or "I don't want to acknowledge that negative things happen!"
Guest Poster wrote:Then, after watching it and the neutral ending, you can say you fully accepted your waifu and not merely the cute and fluffy side of her. 'cause that cynical and misantropic side is part of her as well.
Also this. For all your apparent love of Hanako, you're kinda horribly intolerant of her. :lol: I can't help but imagine if she existed, anytime she started saying something unpleasant, you'd just plug your ears and scream gibberish to drown her out.

@Denabu: Now find the secret harem ending. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I would actually venture a guess that in real life, Hisao&Hanako<3 would get Hanako's bad ending.

Before Hisao does.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Oh, how shortsighted human logic is. Thankfully, human logic is not all I trust. Unlike many.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I live on intuition.
Real talk: Intuition is a coward. That little voice in your head will always be afraid and always rather avoid things than risk anything. Intuition is what tells would-be artists that their work is too lousy to succeed. Intuition is what says "You'll never do any better, so go on and settle for a crap job!" Intuition alone is the worst enemy of every human being alive. That's why logic exists to temper it.

And how often has "I don't want change!" been a beneficial mindset in history anyway? Plenty of people didn't want things changed but they did anyway and things were better for it. If everyone just went with "I don't want [x] changed." and stopped there, everyone would still live with their mothers cutting crusts off their sandwiches. Also segregation would still exist and women wouldn't be able to vote. And we'd still live in caves. And for the American, we'd still be British.

Regardless of your obvious (and ridiculous) attempts at transforming it into a bad word, logic is still a far better guide than fear, even while that fear masquerades as "intuition".
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Honestly, seeing her bad ending made me love her even more. She's not just a poor, pitiful little girl, but she can stand up for herself when she's pushed too far. Theres hope she may be able to grow out of her shell someday.

Oh, I'm sure Hanako wants to be like Lilly most of all. But I can't help but think deep down inside she'd love to be Akira. Not her tomboyishness so much as her assertiveness, and the ability to do or say what she pleases and not give a damn what others think.
Last edited by pandaphil on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Believe what you will. I'm sorry you feel that way. And you know what? There are better things than human logic. Far better. Now let's stop this passive aggressiveness before it gets either of us in trouble.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

And... I guess I should rephrase my comments about her interacting with other misanthropes and cynics.

I do fully agree that she's not embraced her cynicism and misanthropy, but her particular manifestation of those mindsets could actually help her empathize with someone who has more poisonous manifestations. The downside to that, though, would be that she'd be susceptible to embracing her own misanthropy and cynicism, and being dragged down with them.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

My "sixth sense" tells me that Hanako wouldn't go looking for harsh, negative people. She is a good person at heart and would react much better to positive, friendly people. She might hold some cynicism about herself, but something tells me that her "fear reaction" would kick in and she'd flee from a situation where people were complaining and being negative.