The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: The "feels" bazaar.

Post by pandaphil »

Denabu wrote:First post on this forum, and before reading KS I saw it as a 'forever-alone' kind of read, but I feel bad for even thinking that. Everytime I start a route, I can't stop myself from reading it until it's done, if I have the time. I've played through Shizune's route (both endings) and Hanako's Good ending (Hanako being the one I just finished). I didn't cry but I came close, and I can't bring myself to even see her neutral or bad endings. I just can't do it, I'd rather just move onto another route.
I hear ya man. Didn't really have any interest in playing the bad endings. Why should I when I'd already seen the real ending. :)

That being said, I'd suggest going on Youtube and watching a Let's Play of Hanako's bad ending. It feels less personal that way, and is a real eye-opener as far as understanding her as a person.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Potato

Post by Potato »

pandaphil wrote:I hear ya man. Didn't really have any interest in playing the bad endings. Why should I when I'd already seen the realgood ending. :)
Fixed. :P

I'd suggest never touching an LP of a visual novel because they're terrible and people rambling over it in dumb fake voices ruins immersion. :lol: On a related topic, I'd suggest being a man playing it yourself for the real experience. :P
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Potato wrote:
pandaphil wrote:I hear ya man. Didn't really have any interest in playing the bad endings. Why should I when I'd already seen the realgood ending. :)

I'd suggest never touching an LP of a visual novel because they're terrible and people rambling over it in dumb fake voices ruins immersion. :lol: On a related topic, I'd suggest being a man playing it yourself for the real experience. :P

That's nice. Say you aren't related to Xan by any chance are you?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Potato

Post by Potato »

pandaphil wrote:That's nice. Say you aren't related to Xan by any chance are you?
I'm related to all living beings through the common struggles of the journey called life.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Potato wrote:

I'm gonna give it a try, but I think I'll wait until I've finished all the other endings, I'm on Emi at the moment, then Rin and I'm saving Lilly for last. Thanks for encouraging me to do so, even if it was bluntly :P.
~Once you pop, the feels don't stop~

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Denabu wrote: I didn't cry but I came close, and I can't bring myself to even see her neutral or bad endings. I just can't do it, I'd rather just move onto another route.
You learn a lot a lot about the girl's stories in the bad/neutral endings, including thinking about why the choices bring about a bad/neutral ending.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Denabu wrote:I'm gonna give it a try, but I think I'll wait until I've finished all the other endings, I'm on Emi at the moment, then Rin and I'm saving Lilly for last. Thanks for encouraging me to do so, even if it was bluntly :P.
:lol: You're welcome! I'd argue making it 'less personal' degrades the experience far too much to be worth it. It's one thing to see it happen, it's another to be in the position of causing it. Infamous 2 has a point where you're forced to match button prompts, with each press causing the player character to steadily wound his friend until he's dead (complete with each one delivering heart-wrenching ironic echoes between each shot). Infinitely more effective event than if it'd just been watched through some video bit.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

Potato wrote::lol: You're welcome! I'd argue making it 'less personal' degrades the experience far too much to be worth it. It's one thing to see it happen, it's another to be in the position of causing it. Infamous 2 has a point where you're forced to match button prompts, with each press causing the player character to steadily wound his friend until he's dead (complete with each one delivering heart-wrenching ironic echoes between each shot). Infinitely more effective event than if it'd just been watched through some video bit.
I haven't finished all of the paths yet, but I just did Hanako's Neutral and Bad endings on a whim. I can agree with you that they weren't really all that... sad, honestly the good ending was more of a tearjerker but they did shed some light on what she was going through.

As for that second part about it being personal, I can definitely agree. I've never played Infamous 2 but I know when I played MGS4 (hardcore fan of the series), there is a part where Snake is near death yet hes pressing on, the thing about it is that the MGS series is famous for torture scenes where you have to mash X to stay alive, they revisit it with this by making you mash X to move Snake forward through the pain, and you have to mash it for so long and so quickly that your wrist starts feeling the pain.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Denabu wrote:I haven't finished all of the paths yet, but I just did Hanako's Neutral and Bad endings on a whim. I can agree with you that they weren't really all that... sad, honestly the good ending was more of a tearjerker but they did shed some light on what she was going through.

As for that second part about it being personal, I can definitely agree. I've never played Infamous 2 but I know when I played MGS4 (hardcore fan of the series), there is a part where Snake is near death yet hes pressing on, the thing about it is that the MGS series is famous for torture scenes where you have to mash X to stay alive, they revisit it with this by making you mash X to move Snake forward through the pain, and you have to mash it for so long and so quickly that your wrist starts feeling the pain.

I always found her neutral ending to be the saddest. It's basically just everyone involved giving up on anything better.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Its her expressions that are the worst part of Hanako's bad ending.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Ah yes, Hanako's bad end. I feel spiritual convictions to not watch it, so I don't.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Spiritual convictions? That's the first time I heard that one. Most of the people who refuse to watch Hanako's bad ending simply don't watch it because they're afraid it'll depress them. Even though, on a more subtle level, I'd agree that her neutral end is more depressing when you grasp what's really happening.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:Ah yes, Hanako's bad end. I feel spiritual convictions to not watch it, so I don't.

Honestly man, if you love her as much as you say, you owe it to yourself to at least watch it once. Just to see an aspect of her personality you'd miss otherwise. Her reaction to Hisao's overbearingness is just as much a part of her as her social anxiety and gentle shyness.

Afterwards you're perfectly free to go back to telling yourslef it never happened. Like I do. :)
Last edited by pandaphil on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

I agree with Panda, I didn't want to see Hanako's bad end at first either, but it actually isn't as sad as it revealing, if you must, immediately watch the good end again afterwards, I know I did :P

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I kinda have to agree. Her bad end also shows something that's part of her, even though it's not particularly pretty, and shows the darker side of the relationship she shares with both Hisao and Lilly.
Afterwards you're perfectly welcome to go back to telling yourself it never happened. Like I do. :)
More accurately, go ahead and tell yourself that it didn't happen between Hisao and Hanako in your headcanon, but that it's something that COULD happen or COULD HAVE happened under the right (or rather wrong) circumstances.

Then, after watching it and the neutral ending, you can say you fully accepted your waifu and not merely the cute and fluffy side of her. 'cause that cynical and misantropic side is part of her as well.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.