Yamaku's Swimming Pool

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: Yamaku's Swimming Pool

Post by pandaphil »

Liminaut wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Well lets see, how about during the day, the pool is staffed by aquatic therapists who're there to work with students. After school there are student volunteers who serve as lifeguards. Then of course after cerfew the buildings locked up.
It makes a ton of sense for Yamaku to have an aquatic therapist. There are a lot of students for which aquatic therapy would be the best way to get some exercise.
I could swear this was actually mentioned in the story. That its mainly used for therapy.

But I can see it being open for recreational use for a few hours in the evenings, and on weekends, when you'd need one of the student volunteer lifeguards on duty.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Liminaut wrote:I've known two diabetics pretty well; they both had multiple incidences of downing a pint of ice cream and then passing out [occasionally quite far from where they started] as a f-you to the universe.

I don't know what the Japanese court system is like, but in the U.S. letting disabled students swim without supervision would be begging for a school-ending lawsuit.
"Do what you can't, just because you ca- BUT DON'T BE STUPID ABOUT IT!" - Rin, supplemented by Misha!Shizune.

If Ace Attorney is any indication, the Japanese court system is run by Santa and it's more lax than stories around a campfire.

And as for those "extensive rules about running in the hallways"...We never once see Emi get any consequences for doing exactly that. :lol: I dunno how extensive it could be if the worst result is flak from Shiichan.

We never see the pool...And also never see any medical staff other than Nurse. Presumably, the rest could be lifeguards. :lol: And if the students volunteer as lifeguards, one has to wonder which among them would be doing so. *cue Kenji slo-mo running topless toward the water, ala Baywatch*
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

We never see the pool...And also never see any medical staff other than Nurse.
We never see any, but Hisao does mention a female nurse at one point.
Not Dead Yet
Atario

Post by Atario »

pandaphil wrote:I could swear this was actually mentioned in the story. That its mainly used for therapy.
Yep.
The game itself wrote:Shizune: "…"

Misha: "This is the auxiliary building here. There's a lot of official and important stuff inside, like the Yamaku Foundation office and all the nurses' offices. They even have a swimming pool!"

Hisao: "How is that official?"

Shizune: "…"

Misha: "Don't be silly, Hicchan! It's for physical therapy of course.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Potato wrote: And if the students volunteer as lifeguards, one has to wonder which among them would be doing so. *cue Kenji slo-mo running topless toward the water, ala Baywatch*
And then smacking into a pole he didn't see, still in slo-mo. :lol:
Something just occurred to me. If Lilly were the swimming type, she would totally own at Marco Polo with her hearing.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

emmjay wrote:
Potato wrote: And if the students volunteer as lifeguards, one has to wonder which among them would be doing so. *cue Kenji slo-mo running topless toward the water, ala Baywatch*
And then smacking into a pole he didn't see, still in slo-mo. :lol:
Something just occurred to me. If Lilly were the swimming type, she would totally own at Marco Polo with her hearing.
I lost my shit imagining Kenji doing that :lol:

And yeah, Lilly would own at Marco Polo
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Post by Xaredian »

Liminaut wrote:Yamaku is very conscious of the student's well-being: note the full-time nursing staff and extensive rules about running in the hallways.

Teenagers can do very stupid things [surprise!]. I've known two diabetics pretty well; they both had multiple incidences of downing a pint of ice cream and then passing out [occasionally quite far from where they started] as a f-you to the universe. So I could easily an epileptic teenager going for a solo swim -- just because it would be such an outstandingly stupid idea.

So my personal suspicion would be that the pool is closed unless there is a lifeguard on duty. As a pure guess, I could imagine the nursing staff being trained in lifeguard duties, so the school doesn't have to have a dedicated lifeguard position.

I don't know what the Japanese court system is like, but in the U.S. letting disabled students swim without supervision would be begging for a school-ending lawsuit.
Just a pint? I'm insulted.
Potato wrote:
Liminaut wrote:I've known two diabetics pretty well; they both had multiple incidences of downing a pint of ice cream and then passing out [occasionally quite far from where they started] as a f-you to the universe.

"Do what you can't, just because you ca- BUT DON'T BE STUPID ABOUT IT!" - Rin, supplemented by Misha!Shizune.

If Ace Attorney is any indication, the Japanese court system is run by Santa and it's more lax than stories around a campfire.

And as for those "extensive rules about running in the hallways"...We never once see Emi get any consequences for doing exactly that. :lol: I dunno how extensive it could be if the worst result is flak from Shiichan.

We never see the pool...And also never see any medical staff other than Nurse. Presumably, the rest could be lifeguards. :lol: And if the students volunteer as lifeguards, one has to wonder which among them would be doing so. *cue Kenji slo-mo running topless toward the water, ala Baywatch*
Lol.
I was more thinking people like Misha would be the lifeguard. You know, the one's without disabilities.
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Oddball wrote:
We never see the pool...And also never see any medical staff other than Nurse.
We never see any, but Hisao does mention a female nurse at one point.
The Nurse could not possibly handle all the medical needs of 200+ students single-handedly. But the other staff don't really become relevant enough to mention, especially considering Hisao doesn't need anything like physical therapy.

Anyway, the only time you'd need an on-duty lifeguard is when the pool is being used recreationally, I think. When it's being used for physical therapy, one of the staff is there with them. If it's for PE classes or (hypothetically) the swimming club, there's going to be a teacher supervising.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
216 is a low number
Not really. Hisao's class has 18 people including himself. There are four classes in his year and three years of High School.
So if Hisao's class is average, the school has exactly 216 students.
That is of course, assuming that there is no class 3-5 or higher, or classes 1-5 or 2-5 for that matter. :P
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I don't think there's a class 3-5. I recall a statement from the devs saying that there were 4 separate 3rd grade classes.
Never played Ace Attorney, but I doubt an over-the-top VN is representative of a real life court.

That said, Japanese are skeptical of courts and lawyers. In fact, they like to keep the amount of lawyers in their country limited. (law exams are crazily tough, even for the academic elite, for that specific purpose) They abhor the idea of a "claim culture" and prefer to settle things privately outside of court. Japanese companies, when not dealing with foreign businesses (and even sometimes when dealing with foreign companies), dislike convoluted business contracts with lots of fine prints and they like to keep their contracts simple. Instead of fine prints, they use the personal honor of the people involved as leverage.

So parents concerned about the absence of a life guard would probably complain to the school a lot, but wouldn't file a lawsuit unless somebody drowned.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Oh shit son, someone pushed Emi in the pool. Don't let that adorable expression fool you. There's gonna be hell to pay.
Attachments
c9b50447bd33baa8304db7b117f6244b.jpg
c9b50447bd33baa8304db7b117f6244b.jpg (84.36 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Guest Poster wrote: So parents concerned about the absence of a life guard would probably complain to the school a lot, but wouldn't file a lawsuit unless somebody drowned.
It might be that after a drowning there is no lawsuit, but instead after the school has lost honor by failing to protect the children the vast majority of the parents pull their children out of Yamaku -- still basically an end-of-school event.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

True, that'd also be a somewhat feasable possibility, though pragmatism may kick in before it'd get to that. It's not like there's a Yamaku in every town, you know?
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Although, it could be that an administrator is forced to quit over it, by someone.

(The special school (specializing in behavioral handicaps, learning disabilities, and mental health treatment) that I went to, after I graduated, actually had an incident (not involving a student) that led to their director being forced out. Most of the staff quit with the director, and a new school was started 7 miles down the road - actually in the building that the original school had just moved out of 3 or so years prior. Most of the students were switched to the new school, to stay with the old staff.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Or rather, quit themselves. In shame. Or jump off the school's roof.