KS Scene Illustrations

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Snicket

Re: KS Scene Illustrations

Post by Snicket »

Suriko wrote:
<Suriko> I am not overly hot on the use of obviously extracted game assets
<Aura-> yeah
<Aura-> you could say that on the thread
<Aura-> that it's a real concern that him using extracted game assets can cause them being mistaken for actual game content
I've been tossing up whether or not to lock, but decided against it. This is kind of a grey area though.
Well its up to you guys, if you want me to stop, i'll stop. I'm just doing these for fun to coincide with the KS story threads on 4chan. I had no intention of angering any of the Devs. (If i've done this, I apologize) Nor to pass these off as actual game screen shots.

-Though for the record I've stated numerous times (at the top of every posts in fact) that these are scene illustrations from the 4chan threads. So that other users wouldn't mistake these for actual screen shots.

But like i said; if me doing these is a problem, then i'll stop. i'll hold off on posting anymore till I get yay or nay on this.

-edit:

I could add a water mark these
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Eh in this instance it's not angering us persay, but it is feeding off a couple of sore points.

Firstly, extracting the images from the game is against the licence. This has been discussed in length in other threads, so I'll just reiterate the fact that none of us like people doing this.

Secondly is the fact that you could post those images anywhere and claim that they were official. Not that you plan to do that, but there's no way for someone to tell. If you're not a regular of these forums or the KS threads on 4chan then you could easliy think that any of those were released by us for marketing.

That being said, It's not like we (well, at least I) want to discourage fan art. It keeps this place lively. Maybe just try not to rip us off so blatently.

This is why we think that this is a "grey area" and not a straight-up lock/ban. If you found a way to watermark things then I think that would appease us. Maybe.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

A small banner running across the bottom saying "fan made, not official content" could suffice. But then again, people may start cropping that out in an attempt to troll.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Well i can see were your coming from on this and i don't want to come off as someone who's ripping you off. But i didn't extract the sprites from the game. (I don't know who did) I found them (already extracted) on the net a short time after the demo came out. I honestly don't know how to extract anything from this game. (unless hitting prnt-scrn or 's' is extracting) While everything else is just ps or 'prnt-scrn'.

Now thats been stated, i threw together an example of 'watermarks' or fan art identification

Using a image i made for another thread i did few 'tweaks' to it so not to be confused with actual game content.

1. the text in the corner; i could stick this in any of my shops so as not to trick people into thinking its actual game content

2. the water mark (i can always use a different symbol ) I could probably stick this in more 'unshop-able' spot, but i could pop thins in all of the shops so others wouldn't think these are game content shots.

There are a few more things i could do to these, so as not to get them confused with the actual game. These were just the more practical ones.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

cpl_crud wrote:Firstly, extracting the images from the game is against the licence. This has been discussed in length in other threads, so I'll just reiterate the fact that none of us like people doing this.
I will also admit, I downloaded the ripped sprites and backgrounds from the internet (you guys can probably guess where, if you wanted to file a complaint about it). I made a couple of the advice dog pictures that are floating around on 4chan.
cpl_crud wrote:Secondly is the fact that you could post those images anywhere and claim that they were official. Not that you plan to do that, but there's no way for someone to tell. If you're not a regular of these forums or the KS threads on 4chan then you could easliy think that any of those were released by us for marketing.
That actually reminds me about the "Secret Rin Scene" that was going around on 4chan with shopped images (which was well before Snicket started making the shops in this thread).
cpl_crud wrote:If you found a way to watermark things then I think that would appease us. Maybe.
Blue123 wrote:A small banner running across the bottom saying "fan made, not official content" could suffice. But then again, people may start cropping that out in an attempt to troll.
Probably a watermark that's slightly more invasive of the picture would be a better idea. Something that won't interfere with the picture overall, but wouldn't be possible to just crop or shop out of the picture.

Edit: Looks like Snicket beat me, lol
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

That looks perfect Snicket, thank you. The text seems enough by itself, I'm not too sure about the watermark. At the moment it seems a bit invasive.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Blue123 wrote:At the moment it [the watermark] seems a bit invasive.
Yeah, it does to me too.
Also, Snicket, isn't that the symbol Stratovarius used? Why not use something a bit more related to make it less "in-your-face," like the game's logo or something like that?
Siiiiigh....
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

abscess wrote:Why not use something a bit more related to make it less "in-your-face," like the game's logo or something like that?
...using the game's logo runs exactly counter to the concept of "unofficial works", by implying the stuff it's slapped on belongs to the game. Seriously, this remark made me go :| .
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Rednal

Post by Rednal »

I was thinking a transparent 'Fan Made' in the top-right... visible if you look there, and not hidden, but not glaringly obvious either.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

abscess wrote: Also, Snicket, isn't that the symbol Stratovarius used? Why not use something a bit more related to make it less "in-your-face," like the game's logo or something like that?
I honestly wouldn't know. It was just a shape if found in the custom shape editor that i threw in there as an example. If i still can do these, i was going to make my own water mark and use that, in them for now on.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Silentcook wrote:...using the game's logo runs exactly counter to the concept of "unofficial works", by implying the stuff it's slapped on belongs to the game. Seriously, this remark made me go :| .
Ohohoho! I was just saying :P It could be a modified logo with a "FAN MADE" mark or something like that, or just the "FAN MADE" thing as a water mark.... Well, it's not up to me, so there's no use on my running my mouth on that part.
Snicket wrote: I honestly wouldn't know. It was just a shape if found in the custom shape editor that i threw in there as an example. If i still can do these, i was going to make my own water mark and use that, in them for now on.
Cool!
Just for comparisons sake, even though it's useless, the stratovarius sign. It's not exactly the same one, but they look alike quite a bit. Anyway, I'm no use on this thread besides spamming, I'm gonna go until the thing sorts out. Laters.
Siiiiigh....
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

@abscess,

another user mentioned the 'watermark' placement and its over all size. (for some reason they deleted there post) Though until i get a response from any of the guys upstairs i'm going to hold back on posting any more fan art screen caps here. Just to be safe.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

The "100% fan made" tag is horrid.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

I knew it was bad, but i didn't think it was 'horrid'. ....

So i guess its the watermark then. I'll start putting it on everything. (when its done) for now on.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Snicket wrote:I knew it was bad, but i didn't think it was 'horrid'.
You forgot to translate from Australian to English.