Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Steinherz

Re: Ask!

Post by Steinherz »

Silentcook wrote:You MIGHT have seen a Grid1 video. Grid1 was something like the proto-Act 1, which got massively overhauled because it was a Frankenstein job of joining scenes by the expedient of throwing them together with sufficient force. Backgrounds were different, sprites were by a different artist, several scenes were different or weren't there or got removed later.

There was no Niji though and Lilly played the cello instead, so I'm afraid I can't be much more help here.
Wasn't Grid1 the one that had the *cough* infamous Higurashi no Naku Koro ni-inspired Hanako route? Or was that something else?
I know this only because TVTropes mentions this on the Trivia page. Shit's frightening.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Grid1 was the version with the old-style characters and monochrome backgrounds. It's pretty easy to tell it apart from the rest.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Steinherz wrote:
Silentcook wrote:You MIGHT have seen a Grid1 video. Grid1 was something like the proto-Act 1, which got massively overhauled because it was a Frankenstein job of joining scenes by the expedient of throwing them together with sufficient force. Backgrounds were different, sprites were by a different artist, several scenes were different or weren't there or got removed later.

There was no Niji though and Lilly played the cello instead, so I'm afraid I can't be much more help here.
Wasn't Grid1 the one that had the *cough* infamous Higurashi no Naku Koro ni-inspired Hanako route? Or was that something else?
I know this only because TVTropes mentions this on the Trivia page. Shit's frightening.
It didn't cover much of the story, so no. It was just a prototype.

Lilly's music hobby was removed because it added very little to her character except more Mary Sue-ness, which Suriko desperately tried to get rid off.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Aura wrote:
Steinherz wrote:

It didn't cover much of the story, so no. It was just a prototype.

Lilly's music hobby was removed because it added very little to her character except more Mary Sue-ness, which Suriko desperately tried to get rid off.
Remember when Lilly was a Tai Chi master?

Good times.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

TheHivemind wrote: Remember when Lilly was a Tai Chi master?

Good times.
What? I... When... How was that one even conceived?
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

First, thank you for the game. It's a really nice game. That's an understatement, but I'm sure I don't need to say anything more. You had enough of that.

I have two questions that I believe no one asked yet.

First, did any of the devs played the whole game? Like, the last build, the final product. No just to check if everything was alright, but to just play it. I'm guessing that after creating the routes and finishing making the game, you didn't actually want to play it at all. Five years is a really long time. Though I might be wrong, and maybe you wanted to "enjoy" the final product, the culmination of all that work. So, that. Did you guys played the final version of the game? The paths you didn't write, at least?

And the other thing. I'm curious about the extra image you get after completing the gallery. The art in that image is clearly not as polished as the one in the game. Or maybe the pic is just like that. So, is there any story about this? Was it just a random pic you had there and decided to put it as an extra, or was it drawn for that purpose?

Anyway, that's all. My english is not the best, but I think It's pretty understandable.
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

Kon22 wrote:First, did any of the devs played the whole game? Like, the last build, the final product. No just to check if everything was alright, but to just play it. I'm guessing that after creating the routes and finishing making the game, you didn't actually want to play it at all. Five years is a really long time. Though I might be wrong, and maybe you wanted to "enjoy" the final product, the culmination of all that work. So, that. Did you guys played the final version of the game? The paths you didn't write, at least?
In this interview, Hivemind confirms that he did eventually play his own route for fun. Whether other devs did the same or not lies beyond my jurisdiction.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kon22 wrote:First, thank you for the game. It's a really nice game. That's an understatement, but I'm sure I don't need to say anything more. You had enough of that.

I have two questions that I believe no one asked yet.

First, did any of the devs played the whole game? Like, the last build, the final product. No just to check if everything was alright, but to just play it. I'm guessing that after creating the routes and finishing making the game, you didn't actually want to play it at all. Five years is a really long time. Though I might be wrong, and maybe you wanted to "enjoy" the final product, the culmination of all that work. So, that. Did you guys played the final version of the game? The paths you didn't write, at least?

And the other thing. I'm curious about the extra image you get after completing the gallery. The art in that image is clearly not as polished as the one in the game. Or maybe the pic is just like that. So, is there any story about this? Was it just a random pic you had there and decided to put it as an extra, or was it drawn for that purpose?

Anyway, that's all. My english is not the best, but I think It's pretty understandable.
Without actually asking anyone, I feel pretty comfortable saying that nobody has played the whole thing after release. Why would we? I've probably read it several dozens of times all in all during development and the final version went through testing where it was repeatedly read by lots of people. Even many of the non-writer devs have read it extensively. I don't really feel like reading it just for funsies.

The final gallery pic is a little bit from column A, a little bit of column B. It was drawn specifically for it, but it was a pretty rough job right before release, and climatic's style is not really the glossy moe thing the rest of the game's art is to begin with.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Play the whole published product, no. But I did play the whole finished game several too many WAY too many times over before release, plus a few extra chunks in the interest of releases that haven't even happened yet, so the distinction is pretty thin.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yeah. The point of the question as I understood it was whether we read KS for fun, which I really don't think anyone from 4LS would do (waiting to be proven wrong)
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Thanks for answering. And yeah, that's what I meant, if you played the game for "fun". I was expecting that kind of answer, though. I just wasn't sure how much did each of you played of the finished game while testing, if you read the whole game, or just your own routes, or what. It's pretty understandable. Books, or VNs for that matter, aren't that "replayable". Also, you were the creators of this, and you can't possibly see the game the same way fans can.

Also, thanks for answering the pic thingy too.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

I have another question.

Do each of you guys have a favorite route? Or favorite girl, for that matter? Someone probably asked it already, but I'm curious.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Someone asked me specifically before, at least. Emi.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Kon22 wrote:First, did any of the devs played the whole game? Like, the last build, the final product. No just to check if everything was alright, but to just play it. I'm guessing that after creating the routes and finishing making the game, you didn't actually want to play it at all. Five years is a really long time. Though I might be wrong, and maybe you wanted to "enjoy" the final product, the culmination of all that work. So, that. Did you guys played the final version of the game? The paths you didn't write, at least?
Like the dude said, I went back and played through Emi's path (I also LIVETWEETED the experience, which if you're willing to scroll that far back in my twitter timeline you can see), mostly because I hadn't seen it in anything close to finished (I was strictly a writer and any proofreading contributions I made were made by scrolling through the scripts in a text editor). So much of the directing and music and such I'd literally never seen, beyond a few experimental bits that, during development, I'd looked at to say "oh this works" or "I don't know if this works."

So I went through to see how it turned out, but despite an idle curiosity as to how everything else came out I've never had the energy to look back through the whole thing. It's still totally installed on my PC in case I ever get the urge, but I doubt I will.

Silentcook wrote:Someone asked me specifically before, at least. Emi.
THE ONLY CORRECT ANSWER
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

This one is directed at NicolArmarfi,

Did you take any lessons regarding music? Enrolled to a school of music or just taken private lessons? Was anyone from your family involved in music? How did you get interested in? I wonder your lifestory about music in general, how it started, how you improved, how you came to make Katawa Shoujo music etc.
I would ask the same thing about Blue123 as well, but I doubt if he is checking here anymore.

Did you create the music only using a program/a number of programs, or did you actually record them in RL, playing the instruments? I wonder if it's possible to do it the latter way.

My friend have talked about the programs "garage band" (for mac only), "stagelight 6" and "mixcraft" before. I wonder if they are any good in general/capable of making visual novel music using various instruments.