Former Sisterhood thread

WORDS WORDS WORDS

TheVUP

Re: Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) (Completed)

Post by TheVUP »

Ummm... yeah...
The problem is I'm not skilled enough in listening. I have no problem with reading, writing and speaking though (at least not significant).

If you (or anyone here who speaks English better than me) could write what he said, that would be really great. I (or rather we, the non-English native speaker) would really appreciate that.

Also, I'd really love to know what they're saying in this interview.

edit: small mistakes.
Til I finally died, which started the whole world living
TheDwarfLard

Post by TheDwarfLard »

TheVUP wrote:
Ummm... yeah...
The problem is I'm not skilled enough in listening. I have no problem with reading, writing and speaking though (at least not significant).

If you (or anyone here who speaks English better than me) could write what he said, that would be really great. I (or rather we, the non-English native speaker) would really appreciate that.

Also, I'd really love to know what they're saying in this interview.

edit: small mistakes.
I assume you're asking about the last minute twenty of that video. Here's my best at writing what was said:

Cpl_Crud:
"So, I'll fill people in. We basically stopped recording and I just started talking crap again and we just, you know, saying good-bye, but reminded me of the original stories that you cannot," [this part escapes me slightly] " and we started thinking about writing K. So, this was before any editing, and you know, this was back in the basic core team, the people that were originally trying to hold the game in their hands.

But, I had this concept, I had this vision of Rin trying to go out for a swim. And so she's got these stumpy little arms and these sort of long, powerful legs. And all I could think of was her flipping around and kicking her legs trying to swim, and then her turning into a dolphin and swimming away. And that would somehow become the good end for the Rin path. Yeah,I mean I probably just shattered a whole bunch of peoples' dreams, but that was where my mindset was by 5 and a half years ago, when we started doing this stuff, so to get from there to something that actually made people cry." [unsure what's said again for a few seconds] "That's probably just my sense of humor passing through there."

ShintaiReviews:
"Holy shit. I don't how I'm gunna fit that in there, but I'm gunna fucking do it."

That was much harder than I thought it would be. Of course things in brackets aren't said and merely indicate that I don't know what's being said.
neio

Post by neio »

TheDwarfLard wrote: That was much harder than I thought it would be.
As someone who's taken the odd transcription/subtitling job in former years, I can say it really is ridiculously difficult compared to most people's expectations. People in interviews tend to talk at roughly 150 wpm, which is triple the layperson's touch-typing speed, close to double mine, and a whopping 7x normal handwriting speed. Using chording and expanded abbreviations (or sometimes just sheer speed), professionals are able to keep up with conversational speed, but us mortals have to resort to slowing things down with VLC. Hopefully Google's automatic transcriptions will progress to a passable level sometime soon.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
TheVUP

Post by TheVUP »

TheDwarfLard wrote:I assume you're asking about the last minute twenty of that video. Here's my best at writing what was said:

That was much harder than I thought it would be. Of course things in brackets aren't said and merely indicate that I don't know what's being said.
Hmm... not really. I want the entire conversation.
But anyway, really thanks for doing this.
neio wrote:As someone who's taken the odd transcription/subtitling job in former years, I can say it really is ridiculously difficult compared to most people's expectations. People in interviews tend to talk at roughly 150 wpm, which is triple the layperson's touch-typing speed, close to double mine, and a whopping 7x normal handwriting speed. Using chording and expanded abbreviations (or sometimes just sheer speed), professionals are able to keep up with conversational speed, but us mortals have to resort to slowing things down with VLC. Hopefully Google's automatic transcriptions will progress to a passable level sometime soon.
Yeah, Google's auto subtitle is often screwed up. This is more true if the spoken contains slang, abbreviation, or other irregular words.
neio

Post by neio »

TheVUP wrote:
TheDwarfLard wrote:I assume you're asking about the last minute twenty of that video. Here's my best at writing what was said:

Hmm... not really. I want the entire conversation.
But anyway, really thanks for doing this.
Like I said, transcribing a 25 minute video is a rather tedious task. Going rate these days is a dollar per minute, so it's a $25 task for a professional, and would probably take 2-3 hours at least for a forummer to do it.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Atario

Post by Atario »

TheDwarfLard wrote:but reminded me of the original stories that you cannot," [this part escapes me slightly] " and we started thinking about writing
"but it reminded me of one of the original stories we came up with when we started thinking about writing"
TheDwarfLard wrote:something that actually made people cry." [unsure what's said again for a few seconds] "That's probably just my sense of humor passing through there."
"something that's actually made people cry manly tears. It's a long chain, so. That's probably just my sense of humor passing through there."

Yes, the sound quality on that call was horrendous.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
TheDwarfLard

Post by TheDwarfLard »

Atario wrote:
TheDwarfLard wrote:but reminded me of the original stories that you cannot," [this part escapes me slightly] " and we started thinking about writing
"but it reminded me of one of the original stories we came up with when we started thinking about writing"
TheDwarfLard wrote:something that actually made people cry." [unsure what's said again for a few seconds] "That's probably just my sense of humor passing through there."
"something that's actually made people cry manly tears. It's a long chain, so. That's probably just my sense of humor passing through there."

Yes, the sound quality on that call was horrendous.
Oh, that clears up a lot, thanks. :D
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Guest Poster wrote:That would indeed talk a little bit easier.”
Something I noticed in Chapter 6- I'm honestly not sure if that's grammatically correct or not...
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
Vambypants

Post by Vambypants »

Hi GP. I realize that I am very late to the party, but I just had to create an account here and share my thoughts on your work. I've just finished reading through it now in one sitting, I was so hooked on it. And the feels... They were just powerful, if not more so than the feelings I got from playing through KS itself.

Hanako was by far my favorite KS arch, but for me personally it was because I can relate to her. I suffer from anxiety and shyness, nowhere near to her level of course, but enough to be a social issue. I also suffer from crippling depressive episodes. The part in your story showing Hanako's POV about how she dealt with Hisao's accident, and keeps telling herself she is worthless for seizing up from her panic attack... really hit home. And the way Lilly and Hanako have their talk at the end was beautifully done.

Somehow you managed to make me fall in love with Hanako all over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, thanks. If you write something again in the future, I would love to read it.
TheVUP

Post by TheVUP »

Vambypants wrote:Hi GP. I realize that I am very late to the party, but I just had to create an account here and share my thoughts on your work. I've just finished reading through it now in one sitting, I was so hooked on it. And the feels... They were just powerful, if not more so than the feelings I got from playing through KS itself.

Hanako was by far my favorite KS arch, but for me personally it was because I can relate to her. I suffer from anxiety and shyness, nowhere near to her level of course, but enough to be a social issue. I also suffer from crippling depressive episodes. The part in your story showing Hanako's POV about how she dealt with Hisao's accident, and keeps telling herself she is worthless for seizing up from her panic attack... really hit home. And the way Lilly and Hanako have their talk at the end was beautifully done.

Somehow you managed to make me fall in love with Hanako all over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, thanks. If you write something again in the future, I would love to read it.
Better late than sorry.
Welcome aboard, Hanabro #23083715539.

Just wanna make this thread in topmost again.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Thanks for the kind words. You're not the first person with whom Hanako's last chapter seemed to resonate. I don't have any personal experience with depression (fortunately), so it's good to hear I managed to get that scene right.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Jef

Post by Jef »

Good story. I truly enjoyed it and saw it happening before my eyes. You could put it right in the game/virtual novel. :)
Numb

Post by Numb »

Jef wrote:Good story. I truly enjoyed it and saw it happening before my eyes. You could put it right in the game/virtual novel. :)
First off, welcome to the forums! Now, you can never leave.

Second, I read this a while ago, but for some reason never posted my feedback. So! Guest Poster, great story, really enjoyed reading it, and I think you successfully pulled off a tricky thing with the multiple perspectives. That's also a slight niche of mine though, more a fan of using third person if conveying the thoughts of multiple protagonists, but to each their own. You did it well, and as far as I remember, I read this in one sitting. Never trust my memory though, I have too many false ones, I can hardly tell what's real anymore :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

I enjoyed this immensely, and although it could use some editing on formatting grounds (and to fix the few remaining typos, I think I caught maybe four in the whole thing), it's some of the best writing I've seen in any fanfic (not just KS). I certainly can appreciate the "I'll post it when it's done" ethic, especially when the poster actually comes through.

That said, I'm glad I didn't read it until now. It probably would have had an excessive influence on my approach to Hanako as a character, might or might not have steered me away from the very rapid pacing of my own writing (can't say for sure, I was manic when I started writing the story and have kept up that kind of rapid-fire approach despite not usually being in that state), and might have dissuaded me from writing in the first place because this is a rather high bar to try to reach.

Now that I'm already an entire book into my series, I have a pretty good idea where Hanako is going as a character, and it's quite different from how she develops here. I plan to send her into a career path where she has to work with other people, but not very many of them, and those people are likely to be just as introverted as she is: engineering. As the joke goes -- "How can you tell when an engineer is an extrovert? He's staring at YOUR shoes as he talks to you."
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I enjoyed this immensely, and although it could use some editing on formatting grounds (and to fix the few remaining typos, I think I caught maybe four in the whole thing), it's some of the best writing I've seen in any fanfic (not just KS).
Thanks. And as I said in this thread before: if there are any typos you spot, don't feel shy about pointing them out so I can correct them. In fact, if someone were to volunteer doing a thorough editing job on it, I might even repost the story at some point.
I certainly can appreciate the "I'll post it when it's done" ethic, especially when the poster actually comes through.
Well, that's the advantage of the approach. If I hadn't been able to finish the story, nobody would have known it existed in the first place. :) I like being able to work without feeling the obligation towards others to keep going or feel the pressure of "Is this fic dead?" posts. That said, there are pros and cons to this approach.

Pros:

- No outside pressure for the writer. No feelings of being left hanging for the reader.
- Readers can read through the story at their own pace and aren't like "What happened again last chapter?" upon the release of a new chapter.
- The ability for the writer to have total control over ever part of his story until the finish, rather than being locked down by stuff that was written 10 chapters earlier.
- No need to say "Stay tuned, your question will be answered in the next chapter." to people questioning certain characters' actions.

Cons:

- Some people are intimidated when faced with a whole story at once and that keeps them from quickly jumping into it.
- No feedback on stuff until the very end. (I was lucky to already be rather familiar with the English language)
- No discussion on individual chapters. Most people reading a story of this size simply go with a "Great read" at the end.
That said, I'm glad I didn't read it until now. It probably would have had an excessive influence on my approach to Hanako as a character, might or might not have steered me away from the very rapid pacing of my own writing (can't say for sure, I was manic when I started writing the story and have kept up that kind of rapid-fire approach despite not usually being in that state), and might have dissuaded me from writing in the first place because this is a rather high bar to try to reach.
I can only cheer on the practice of trying to come up with one's own interpretation of the characters rather than relying on other works for that. There's nothing inherently wrong with fanon, but it shouldn't stifle fresh points of view.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.