Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ShadowKing

Re: Ask!

Post by ShadowKing »

Wondering what 4leaf studios would think about a group of coders, authors, artists adding Free DLC; as in alternate routes, maybe extended endings and the like? and if aloud what kind of ideas they would like to post.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

ShadowKing wrote:Wondering what 4leaf studios would think about a group of coders, authors, artists adding Free DLC; as in alternate routes, maybe extended endings and the like? and if aloud what kind of ideas they would like to post.
No.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
ShadowKing

Post by ShadowKing »

I kinda want the Devs opinion, okay
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

ShadowKing wrote:I kinda want the Devs opinion, okay
That is their opinion, which you should have known by now if you had clicked the link...
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
ShadowKing

Post by ShadowKing »

sorry i was in the wrong thank you for helping my see that and hope you have a great day. :D
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ShadowKing wrote:Wondering what 4leaf studios would think about a group of coders, authors, artists adding Free DLC; as in alternate routes, maybe extended endings and the like? and if aloud what kind of ideas they would like to post.
Yeah as the FAQ says, we pretty expressly forbid that kind of thing.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
HayStack44

Post by HayStack44 »

Hello Aura, I am not worthy and so forth :D

Was (re)watching an interview with thehivemind recently wherein he talks of various arguments during development - in terms of the 5 routes, which plot point, scene or character in your opinion caused the most vociferous disagreements and was it something/someone that was kept in or taken out?

Also I recently found videos of the 3 beta uber-dark Hanako endings (spewing blood, train in the face and death partly by snoo-snoo) as well as the the equally grim bad Shizune ending (wherein the narrator changes to Misha). How close to final release did the total death toll drop from several to just 1? Was there a team-wide decision made to not go that dark or did the individual stories just turn out that way?

Edit: just thought of some more - was the notion of Hisao having a rival for any of the girl's affections in one of the routes ever tabled? Is the thing with Emi and the track captain a remnant of this?

And is Shizune already hot for Hisao fairly early in Act 1 (i.e. pre-festival) or is it all about getting him on the Student Council?

And finally who named the convenience store 'Aura Mart'? :wink:
sanduba

Post by sanduba »

HayStack44 wrote:And finally who named the convenience store 'Aura Mart'? :wink:
I wanted to know that as well but never bothered to ask

how do I sage here so ppl wont be upset with me
Best story:
Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Emi > Shizune

best girl:
Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Rin

Eh, that's my opinion.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

HayStack44 wrote:Hello Aura, I am not worthy and so forth :D

Was (re)watching an interview with thehivemind recently wherein he talks of various arguments during development - in terms of the 5 routes, which plot point, scene or character in your opinion caused the most vociferous disagreements and was it something/someone that was kept in or taken out?
Man I have no idea. We went back and forth about having flash-forward endings for a while, and wound up deciding not to (and then doing one anyway), and side characters were a point of contention for a long while (art assets being a precious resource and all, a lot of nameless students or students who only showed up for a scene got cut or changed to someone else), but the only time things got so bad that I, at least, had to walk away for a while was early-ish in Emi's development when the others pointed out that I'd written myself into a corner and had failed to provide any sort of, you know, plot. Which was true, of course--one scene in particular was the worst sort of filler, hinted at a Nurse-Meiko relationship far more than anything else we kept in, and inadvertantly defused all the ghosts of conflict that had somehow managed to make it in. I was so frustrated by the backlash and, admittedly, mortified by how badly I'd bollucksed up the whole show that I stepped out for like two or three months to reassess and, with the help of Crud and Silentcook, come up with a new scenario outline that worked better (or at least I hope so).

Being one of the few North Americans on the dev team, I probably missed a lot of arguments in the chat, but that's the big one I remember. And, of course, it all worked out in the end.
Also I recently found videos of the 3 beta uber-dark Hanako endings (spewing blood, train in the face and death partly by snoo-snoo) as well as the the equally grim bad Shizune ending (wherein the narrator changes to Misha). How close to final release did the total death toll drop from several to just 1? Was there a team-wide decision made to not go that dark or did the individual stories just turn out that way?
Wait, we killed someone in the final version? I don't remember that happening.

It's inaccurate to label the Hanako endings as "beta" because they were scrapped years before the final product. Same goes for Shizune. Discussion of the paths sort of led to deciding that going full on killing sprees was... a little too melodramatic, even for a game that has not one, but TWO scenes involving breaking down in front of graveyards/accident scenes.
Edit: just thought of some more - was the notion of Hisao having a rival for any of the girl's affections in one of the routes ever tabled? Is the thing with Emi and the track captain a remnant of this?
The track captain was always gay. He was an excuse for Hisao to doubt his abilities to get up in Emi's sugar pie walls--Hisao's insecurity was going to be a larger plot point initially, but it got phased out because entire scenes of Hisao hemming and hawing are, as it turns out, super fucking boring to read.
And is Shizune already hot for Hisao fairly early in Act 1 (i.e. pre-festival) or is it all about getting him on the Student Council?
All the ladies want to ride Hisao like a Harley down a stretch of bad road from day one, except for Rin.
And finally who named the convenience store 'Aura Mart'? :wink:
Delta, I think? I'm probably wrong.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

HayStack44 wrote:And finally who named the convenience store 'Aura Mart'? :wink:
Iirc A22. I tried to get everyone to stop using that but it apparently was too funny.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
HayStack44

Post by HayStack44 »

TheHivemind wrote: Being one of the few North Americans on the dev team, I probably missed a lot of arguments in the chat?
Oh right. And theres me assuming that it was mostly North Americans.

While you're here Hive, got a Emi-route specific one - I've seen people talk about her route and complain that Hisao is a complete doofus for not piecing together what happened to Emi's dad. My interpretation is he at least partially figured it out before he gets to the graveyard and it's just the style of KS that there no "OMG so *thats* what it was" moment in Hisao's internal monologue (see also: the realisation Misha is a Daughter of Sappho). He has he figured some of it out before the aforesaid scene or is he that dozy?
TheHivemind wrote:Wait, we killed someone in the final version? I don't remember that happening.
Manly picnic ending raises the bodycount to 1 :P
TheHivemind wrote:It's inaccurate to label the Hanako endings as "beta" because they were scrapped years before the final product. Same goes for Shizune.
Ah well you can blame the person who's put the vids on YT as such for that - so these are post-Grid1 but pre-beta then?
TheHivemind wrote:All the ladies want to ride Hisao like a Harley down a stretch of bad road from day one, except for Rin.
Damn that boy's got a fair old quantity of what I believe the young people call 'swag' :lol:
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

HayStack44 wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:It's inaccurate to label the Hanako endings as "beta" because they were scrapped years before the final product. Same goes for Shizune.
Ah well you can blame the person who's put the vids on YT as such for that - so these are post-Grid1 but pre-beta then?
Gonna stop you here and tell you to refrain from talking about the illegally leaked alpha on our front yard, as the forum rules say.
HayStack44

Post by HayStack44 »

Oops. Didnt know about that. I thought it was just about linking to them. I only found out about KS in June so am a bit (a lot) late to the party - didnt even know it was leaked illegally and thought it came light after the full release. I only brought it up (indeed know of its existence) because Hive mentions it in the aforementioned interview.

I...i'll be on the naughty step if anyone needs me :oops:
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

TheHivemind wrote:
All the ladies want to ride Hisao like a Harley down a stretch of bad road from day one, except for Rin.
Funny, seeing Rin is the only one 'flirting' with the guy from day one.

The problem is in your pants!

I heard that~
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Hanako mentions "worse things" happening to her in middle school, that she doesn't get into with Hisao.

Just how bad were those "worse things"? I'm assuming pretty bad, but are we talking "garden variety" physical bullying, or are we talking worse?

(If it's as bad as I suspect, it makes Hanako's H-scene even squickier, I think.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!