Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Reese8

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 11/20/2013}

Post by Reese8 »

bhtooefr wrote:Stonefish as a ship name would mean that Iwanako would practice self-love.

Surely you mean Stoneflower? ;)
...Oops! Memory glitch there; you are correct. Yes, Stoneflower.

edit:
By the way, Leaty, what field is the term MTTB from? My Systems course introduced it as Mean Time To Failure.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I suspect it went something like this:

During lunch, Hanako told Lilly about Iwanako approaching her in class
Lilly was overjoyed that Hanako had a positive interaction with the new student
Crushing self doubt slowly settled in for Hanako ("she's just setting me up for a prank" or something along those lines)
Lilly hears about Emi crashing into Iwanako
Tells Hanako
Hanako's strong desire to feel needed overrides her crushing self doubt OR Lilly suggests that maybe Iwanako needs some friends and convinces Hanako to come along
Either way, Hanako and Lilly (to act as Hanako's meat shield) go to see Iwanako

That's just a rough guess, though.

And, I usually hear it as MTBF, or Mean Time Between Failures, although the context I hear it in is hard drives. (And in that context, the thesaurus shows "lies" as the synonym.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

bhtooefr wrote:And, I usually hear it as MTBF, or Mean Time Between Failures, although the context I hear it in is hard drives. (And in that context, the thesaurus shows "lies" as the synonym.)
They're more or less the same thing, but MTBF implies repairability (the first failure has to be fixed in order for any others to occur). My Systems professor works for NASA, though, and currently most spacecraft are unlikely to see repair crews.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Reese8 wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Stonefish as a ship name would mean that Iwanako would practice self-love.

Surely you mean Stoneflower? ;)
...Oops! Memory glitch there; you are correct. Yes, Stoneflower.
Stoneflower? And who would Iwahana be?
Hanako translates as flower-child.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

It's a shipmanteau of Iwanako and Hanako's names.

Which is a portmanteau of "ship" and "portmanteau".
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

Leaty said that she preferred it to something like "Iwahanako".
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

I actually really like "Iwahanako". I don't know why. I think it's from people referring to the various Mass Effect pairings in the same way(Shenko, Shekarian, ect...) and Hisao' s name doesn't really blend well with any of the girl's names.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:Hisao' s name doesn't really blend well with any of the girl's names.
I don't know...you just have to be willing to go against convention:

Emisao
Hanasao
Lisao
Rinisao
Shizusao

Eh?
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

dewelar wrote:
AntonSlavik020 wrote:Hisao' s name doesn't really blend well with any of the girl's names.
I don't know...you just have to be willing to go against convention:

Emisao
Hanasao
Lisao
Rinisao
Shizusao

Eh?
Yeah, none of those really role off the tongue, though Lisao isn't bad.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

Reese8 wrote:Iwanako, having no idea that the prevailing opinion was that Hanako ought to be handled with kid gloves if at all, walked right up to her and asked her for help.
Right. I also just went back and read that passage again, completely forgot that the accident happens immediately afterwards. Now having that scene back in my mind it doesn't seem as unlikely anymore for Hanako to visit, bhtooefr's scenario doesn't seem unlikely.
Mader Levap wrote:Mentioning drunk driver would be a little too much, if Iwanako knew about it, but well. Accidental obliteration is accidental.
Shit, that thought didn't even cross my mind. Oh man, that makes that analogy hurt infinitely worse... Being compared to someone who caused the death of her father and loss of her legs, triple-ouch :cry:
Riakai

Post by Riakai »

....Whoops. I'm hooked on another WIP fan-fic.
I sweaaar I'm masochistic sometimes...
I loved it though, very good way to make the somewhat funny meeting in Canon turn into a very serious thing in the story. Very good cliffhanger too. Hopefully I don't bash my skull on a wall in anxiety before the new chapter comes out.
[Innumerable Fits]
The Naomi Inoue Pseudo-Route.
[Ria's One-Shot Hell]
One-Shots. Not much else to say there.

You can find my ramblings over at my blog...
...or poke me on discord @ria#0413. screeee
sanduba

Post by sanduba »

I'm really enjoying it. It's slow paced, but still good.

Keep going, please.
Best story:
Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Emi > Shizune

best girl:
Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Rin

Eh, that's my opinion.
neio

Post by neio »

How are you any different from a drunk driver who only feels bad after he finally spins out and murders half a family?
Ow. Jesus. Hoooly shit.

Serious question, when you thought up/wrote down that line, did you flinch? Because I just replayed the Emi route and wow, did that hurt. I physically winced. Hard. It's worse because it makes sense (even if it's a little exaggerated).

Still, despite the understandability of Iwanako's rage, I find myself wondering if Iwanako would have actually prefered no apology at all. Separately, would Iwanako's life have been affected for better or worse had Emi not tried to apologize? (And what about Emi's?)

------

On an unrelated note, did all the fanfic authors conspire to release on the 20th?
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Riakai wrote:....Whoops. I'm hooked on another WIP fan-fic.
One of us! One of us! One of us!
neio wrote:
How are you any different from a drunk driver who only feels bad after he finally spins out and murders half a family?
Ow. Jesus. Hoooly shit.

Serious question, when you thought up/wrote down that line, did you flinch? Because I just replayed the Emi route and wow, did that hurt. I physically winced. Hard. It's worse because it makes sense (even if it's a little exaggerated).
I flinched a little when I edited it. And even though Emi is my second favorite, barely edged out by Shizune, I felt she kinda deserved this. Let's face it, Emi was lucky nothing like this had happened before.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
cptngarlock

Post by cptngarlock »

>Victorian memento mori daguerreotypes

>lachrymose

I by no means want to imply Iwanako isn't intelligent or well-informed, but...those two words strike me as 10-dollar words that even an intelligent teenager would not know, let alone use to describe something in their head. The idea that a Japanese teenager like Iwanako knowing what a "Victorian memento mori daguerreotypes" even is strikes me as extremely odd; both instances brought me out of the story. You're free to disagree, of course, but these strike me as too wordy for a stream-of-conscious story.

>that seems to follow me around like goldfish feces

...is that a thing? I don't own gold-fish, so...

Either way, incredible update. I am extremely happy you didn't go the happy-go-lucky route and simply have her forgive Emi; the mention of a drunk driver strikes me as a low blow, if an exceedingly appropriate one. I can only imagine her state-of-mind right now, thinking she might be almost as bad as the person who killed her father. I suspect an reconciliation in the future? I doubt they'd be friends (these sorts of comments and actions aren't easily forgiven), but I'd find it difficult to believe that Iwanako, should she choose to go back to school, won't try to awkwardly patch things up (assuming the Emi doesn't try first, although the (slightly unwarranted) hateful look Emi gave her seems to dispel that possibility.)

Exciting, although terribly unexpected, to see Hanako enter the game. I trust you have a good reason for her to be there.

Keep at it, and know you've got one faithful reader right over here!