Starbursts (Mutou and Miyagi) (UPDATED)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Total Destruction

Re: Starbursts (Mutou and Miyagi) (UPDATED)

Post by Total Destruction »

Another chapter that opens with a bang.

Well, more or less. Lawl.

Good stuff. Maybe talking about unraveling the secrets of the cosmos needs to somehow make its way into my "get laid quick" list of pick-up lines.

"Hey, baby. You can spirit the HELL out of my molecules."
... Danger.
Myshina

Post by Myshina »

Total Destruction wrote:"Hey, baby. You can spirit the HELL out of my molecules."
Epic line of Sexiness. xD
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

I know I'm late to the game, but nobody else has pointed out that transits (along with eclipses) are one of the rare astronomical events to take place during the DAY. A transit is when a planet crosses the face of the sun, and for obvious reasons only planets with orbits inside those of Earth (meaning Mercury and Venus) can perform a transit from our perspective. If you were on Mars (or further), you could see a transit of Earth.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Helbereth wrote:That Miyagi is a dude, though...
Unless you're a Happy Days fan, Morita is most well known for playing the Karate Kid's sensei, Mr. Miyagi, in the eponymous movie series (in the remake, he's replaced by Jackie Chan and called Mr. Han.) In the United States at least, Mr. Miyagi is almost as well known a character as Yoda, and Kevin Clash even did an impression of him when voicing Master Splinter in the TMNT movies. If you say "Miyagi" to most Americans over the age of 25, they will think of Pat Morita.

I actually didn't realize Katawa Shoujo's Miyagi was female until very recently, and after reading that pseudo-fic where she's the supervisor of the Astronomy Club I really want to incorporate her into MTB somehow.
Mader Levap

Post by Mader Levap »

Pretty funny, I must say. On one hand, thirty-something fustrated miss without husband and with cynical streak. On other hand, thirty-something bachelor, oxymoronically detached from reality as much as possible, yet being in sciences teaching about nature of universe. Yay?

Yep, yay.
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

This was a fun story, I agree. There's one problem, and it's one I only noticed when I was going through Lilly's route last night (and one I think I've perpetuated a couple times myself).

Yes, Miyagi is female (per "Promise of Time"), but that means she can't be the English teacher, because (per "Little Wing") the English teacher is male - although I suppose that's why the suspension was written into the story, the timing seems...off. I don't think it was ever specified what subject Miyagi teaches normally.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mader Levap

Post by Mader Levap »

dewelar wrote:Yes, Miyagi is female (per "Promise of Time"), but that means she can't be the English teacher, because (per "Little Wing") the English teacher is male - although I suppose that's why the suspension was written into the story, the timing seems...off. I don't think it was ever specified what subject Miyagi teaches normally.
So? In fanfiction you can do worse than changing gender of one person (not to mention possibility of two English teachers). A lot worse...
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mader Levap wrote:
dewelar wrote:Yes, Miyagi is female (per "Promise of Time"), but that means she can't be the English teacher, because (per "Little Wing") the English teacher is male - although I suppose that's why the suspension was written into the story, the timing seems...off. I don't think it was ever specified what subject Miyagi teaches normally.
So? In fanfiction you can do worse than changing gender of one person (not to mention possibility of two English teachers). A lot worse...
*shrug* All true. The OP is long gone, so I guess it doesn't matter either way :) . What matters is that this was a fun little story. So...ignore my insane ramblings!
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Mader Levap wrote:So? In fanfiction you can do worse than changing gender of one person (not to mention possibility of two English teachers). A lot worse...
No.

If a writer of fanfiction cannot be bothered to get the details straight, and stay loyal to the source material, then their writing is simply not worth reading. If they don't care about the source material, they don't care about the people who enjoy the source material, either. If you're going to make a change, you need to justify it. To encourage anything less than total vigilance is to encourage mediocrity. The exceptions are very, very few and far between.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:
Mader Levap wrote:So? In fanfiction you can do worse than changing gender of one person (not to mention possibility of two English teachers). A lot worse...
No.

If a writer of fanfiction cannot be bothered to get the details straight, and stay loyal to the source material, then their writing is simply not worth reading. If they don't care about the source material, they don't care about the people who enjoy the source material, either. If you're going to make a change, you need to justify it. To encourage anything less than total vigilance is to encourage mediocrity. The exceptions are very, very few and far between.
Well...to be fair, if you do a search on "Miyagi" and "English" on the boards, you'll find some esteemed fanfic writers made the same error :|.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

dewelar wrote:Well...to be fair, if you do a search on "Miyagi" and "English" on the boards, you'll find some esteemed fanfic writers made the same error :|.
Who, Helbereth? There is quite a difference between missing an extremely obscure detail and being aware of said detail and ignoring it entirely. The Miyagi Dilemma can simply be explained away as there being more than one English teacher, but if you're unwilling to do even that, you're a mediocrity. I would however point out that there is some incongruity in an English teacher being the supervisor for an Astronomy Club.

I didn't write Tomorrow's Doom, but if somebody pointed out an error in Mean Time to Breakdown, I would do everything in my power to immediately correct the discrepancy. I feel similarly about Rika being a third-year student in Rikabro's pseudo-route (as opposed to a second,) but since Rika isn't canon I suppose it doesn't matter as much.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:Who, Helbereth?
Well, and ProfAllister. Oddball has already admitted to missing that detail, and I have a lot of respect for that.
Leaty wrote:if somebody pointed out an error in Mean Time to Breakdown, I would do everything in my power to immediately correct the discrepancy.
Now, see, this I can get behind fully, because I feel exactly the same way about Developments. I want people to point out those errors for that very reason. From your previous post, I got the impression that you were saying not doing enough due diligence to even make the mistake in the first place was the issue in and of itself. My apologies for the misinterpretation.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Kyler Thatch wrote:This thing seems to suggest that Miyagi is an English teacher. So maybe there is more than one.
...And shit. You're right. ImageThis strongly suggests that Miyagi doesn't teach Hisao's class, which would mean there would be no good reason for Iwanako to know her in MTB, either. In all likelihood Suriko just fucked up, but we have no choice, the keys have been turned, canon is canon.

Also, since we now know that there are two students named Aoi at Yamaku, the One Steve Limit is subverted.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Leaty wrote:Also, since we now know that there are two students named Aoi at Yamaku, the One Steve Limit is subverted.
Who's the other Aoi?