Sae
2%
Mutou
5%

Total votes: 42

Oddball

Re: Who has the most PTSD?

Post by Oddball »

And lets face it, someone who's just lost a limb, or been struck with a life threatening ailment or injury is going to feel confused, or even depressed.
Teenagers tend to be that way without the illnesses and injuries. :wink:
Not Dead Yet
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

pandaphil wrote:
Lianam wrote:
Yamaku doesn't have mentally challenged students.
Its not so much mental problems we're talking about but mental health issues. We've seen how a lot of the students have emotional issues their struggling with. And lets face it, someone who's just lost a limb, or been struck with a life threatening ailment or injury is going to feel confused, or even depressed. It seems strange that the school doesn't have councillors or someone for the students to talk to when they're feeling sad, or afraid, or lost. The schools fully set up to cater to their physical needs, why not their emotional needs as well?
I know. I was referring to HarvestmanMan saying:
a school specifically tailored to fit the needs of physically and mentally challenged teenagers
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
Shizunaremillako

Post by Shizunaremillako »

I think I do quite honestly. I finished the game earlier today (latecomer, I know), and I literally have not been able to focus all day. I 100% it, got the secret picture, and I feel so empty now. I just want the feeling of going back and doing it all over again for the first time but I know I can't have that. I don't usually get so emotional, but being my first VN, and an amazing one at that, I really connected with this game. I connected a lot with Emi, which isn't the manliest thing to say but it's true, and on my very first run, completely blind I got her good ending and it made me feel so ecstatic. 3 days, and 16+ hours later I have all of the endings done, I've laughed, cried, and everything in between. Rin's run hit me especially hard though, even her 'neutral' ending made me feel like the worst person in the world in a good way, which sounds odd, but whatever. I just wish that they would continue the storylines more though. 4+ hours for each one isn't enough! I don't want it to ever be over. I've been sulking and contemplating all day because of this game and it's going to drive me insane. I think I have PTSD.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I was wondering where you post was going until that last line.

Anyway, just because the game is over doesn't mean you've see all there is to see. Go check the fanfic section for some more good stories and the Shimmie for lots of neat art.
Not Dead Yet
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The way Hisao's parents just dumped him in front of the school then buggered off just didn't sit right with me.
They actually also helped him move in there, but they did that while Hisao was having his first class session.

Anyway, only Emi and Hanako have PTSD (if Kenji was traumatized by feeling tired after sex, he was already unhinged and incapable of looking stuff up to boot) and it's pretty obvious that Hanako's life is impacted most by it, despite Emi's issues being more severe than she likes to let on.
Hanako...She's a recluse, but that isn't due to trauma-born irrationality, that's due to shit life experiences.
Actually, Hanako's panic issues are a perfect example of trauma-born irrationality. The reason she's a recluse is because she has such a hard time trusting others, in a similar way to Emi, but worse. PTSD isn't just caused by physical trauma like a car crash or a house fire...the backstabbing by her friends and the bullying in general are also at the bottom of Hanako's PTSD.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Huh. I didn't think that counted for PTSD, but then again, I don't claim to be a professional.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Emotional trauma such as bullying can and does lead to PTSD if it's severe enough.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Antonymous wrote:It was implied that he wasn't paranoid and delusional beforehand.
No, but he was clearly always unhinged, otherwise such a simple event wouldn't have led to paranoia and delusion. Honestly, it's pretty fucked up that the staff just let him go on being that way. :lol:
pandaphil wrote:It seems strange that the school doesn't have councillors or someone for the students to talk to when they're feeling sad, or afraid, or lost.
The school does have someone for all of that. He's called Mutou. Also Yuuko. Also probably every other teacher who has learned to handle this stuff. Also plenty of other students who have learned to handle this stuff too.
Shizunaremillako wrote:I think I have PTSD.
Go read fanfics, browse the shimmie or Artwork thread, hang around the forum...And at some point, go replay the game. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Katie

Post by Katie »

Xanatos wrote:...Mutou's sad?
He's not as happy as he used to be.

Mutou started teaching at Yamaku Academy in 1980 when he was just 26 years old shortly after the school opened. The first seven years of the school's existence, suicide was fairly common amongst the students of Yamaku. One child per year killed themselves by tossing themselves off the edge of the rooftop. Mutou pleaded with the school board to build a fence on the roof, but they said 'No, the kids there have the right to decide whether they want to live or die. We'll try to give them the best lives we can, but ultimately the decision of whether they want such a life is theirs and theirs alone. so gtfo, okay?'

By 1987, Mutou decided he'd had enough. Without asking the school for permission, he built the chain link fence around the rooftop by himself. Thanks to Mutou's bravery and hard work, never again past 1986 has another child died while at Yamaku. (except for Hisao in the bad ending, but the fence was kinda weak at 20 years old and all.) But the scars etched into his heart from 1980 through 1986 of those children he failed to save shall never fade.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Katie wrote:

Mutou started teaching at Yamaku Academy in 1980 when he was just 26 years old shortly after the school opened. The first seven years of the school's existence, suicide was fairly common amongst the students of Yamaku. One child per year killed themselves by tossing themselves off the edge of the rooftop. Mutou pleaded with the school board to build a fence on the roof, but they said 'No, the kids there have the right to decide whether they want to live or die. We'll try to give them the best lives we can, but ultimately the decision of whether they want such a life is theirs and theirs alone. so gtfo, okay?'

By 1987, Mutou decided he'd had enough. Without asking the school for permission, he built the chain link fence around the rooftop by himself. Thanks to Mutou's bravery and hard work, never again past 1986 has another child died while at Yamaku. (except for Hisao in the bad ending, but the fence was kinda weak at 20 years old and all.) But the scars etched into his heart from 1980 through 1986 of those children he failed to save shall never fade.
Engels! :shock:
I wonder what fan fiction from you would be like
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Katie wrote:

...That's a neat fanfic but it doesn't really answer the question. :P

If Mutou has any great sadness, I'd imagine it's due to nobody giving a shit about the stuff that interests him...Well, except Hisao. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Additionally, he's sad because none of his pupils actually get those lectures he holds every day in class. Again, except Hisao. Screw speculation about how much the girls' lives would suck if Hisao hadn't come along. They have nothing on Mutou. :)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Comrade wrote:I wonder what fan fiction from you would be like
Horrifying, I'd wager. As if I have any room to talk... :lol:
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Lianam wrote:Yamaku doesn't have mentally challenged students.
Yamaku doesn't have the facilities to cater to mental illnesses in general, the way they cater to physical disabilities in general. But a student who was still able to function in the school environment could still enroll as though he had no disabilities at all. I suspect that this is actually how Hanako's enrollment works, at least on paper.

Also, despite not working with mental illnesses in general, Yamaku probably has a strong counseling staff. Enough people acquire disabilities through trauma, and enough others still face traumas of various sorts due to their disabilities, that counseling is almost certainly a very common need among the student body. Again, I'm not talking about a staff of full psychiatrists, or even therapists: the game makes clear that the school isn't designed for that. But it makes a lot of sense for a place like Yamaku to bring counseling services in-house, not unlike its nursing staff. Those who need more than a counselor can provide could be referred to relevant professionals in town.

That said, it's interesting: Emi matches textbook PTSD much more closely than Hanako does. This is not to say that Hanako escaped her trauma unscathed: it would be absurd to suggest that. Her unique issues make a lot of sense for her situation, and in their own ways, they tend to be more severe than Emi's are. But they don't line up with the typical definition of PTSD as well as Emi's symptoms do.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Nekken wrote:
Lianam wrote:Yamaku doesn't have mentally challenged students.
Also, despite not working with mental illnesses in general, Yamaku probably has a strong counseling staff.
I never said it didn't.
Nekken wrote:That said, it's interesting: Emi matches textbook PTSD much more closely than Hanako does.
What about C-PTSD?
Ce ne sont pas une signature.