Sae
2%
Mutou
5%

Total votes: 42

Antonymous

Re: Who has the most PTSD?

Post by Antonymous »

It was implied that he wasn't paranoid and delusional beforehand.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

I don't think most of Hanako's problems can be pinned to PTSD. Sure, the fire gave her the scars, but that in itself didn't lead to Hanako cutting herself off from other people. It was when people started rejecting her because of her scars, particularly the people who used to be her friends. That's not an irrational fear bred from psychological trauma, it's more of a defense mechanism developed to try to cope with a crappy situation.

I'm not saying she didn't suffer from PTSD at some point, but that's not the whole picture, is what I'm saying.
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

from a psychological perspective, which i am a psych major, hanako is the only person who really fits this.
no hidden message in here
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Katie wrote:A penny for your thoughts. (I added Mutou because I think the fact that he's so sad all the time means he mighta had a hard life)
...Mutou's sad?

The only one who seems to have any kind of PTSD seems to be Emi.

Shizune...She's fine. Rin, also fine. Lilly, totally fine.

Hanako...She's a recluse, but that isn't due to trauma-born irrationality, that's due to shit life experiences.

Emi, though, her issues are born entirely of trauma and fear and are highly irrational. Add the recurring nightmares to that and she's the only one who I'd say fits any PTSD label during the VN.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Xanatos wrote:Lilly, totally fine.
Yeah, Lilly's more at peace than the average person, I would say - Shizune's the closest to 'normal' emotionally speaking (since Lilly has an above average level of contentedness with her life and less malice than the average person), with Hanako, Emi, and Rin the troubled ones.

Why wouldn't Emi qualify, hitman? She does fit many of the symptoms: recurring nightmares like Xan said, phantom pains, centering her entire relationship philosophy ('Don't get close to others') around making sure the trauma of losing her father never repeats itself, etc.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Dr. Casey wrote:phantom pains
This one is physiological, actually. Nothing to do with someone's mental state.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Off-topic, but your avatar makes me wonder, are you someone I know from another forum? (I use the same username and avatar there, so if you don't recognize me the answer's no)

Speaking of Emi's response to trauma, her thoughts on "I'm so sorry" (U COULDN'T HAVE DONE ANYTHING NEWAY) vs. "These things happen" (I wish more people were callous!) always kind of annoyed me. Not so much the first time because I was too wrapped up in the scene ('Whispers of the Past' is one of the highlights of Katawa Shoujo for me), but every time since then has made her seem a little crabby. On one hand I appreciate it for being realistically ugly, since people that have been through what Emi has are likely to be rough around the edges sometimes, but at the same time I also think "Emi, stop being an irrational cunt and twisting people's words. They're not implying that there's something they should have done, just that they hate that such a thing happened."
Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Post by Xaredian »

In my mind, it'd be a tie between Hanako and Hisao.
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Hisao's a good candidate too, since he doesn't seem to be dealing with his issue at all. Makes me wonder why the school doesn't have any sort of therapy or orinentation program for newly disabled students.
Dr. Casey wrote:
Speaking of Emi's response to trauma, her thoughts on "I'm so sorry" (U COULDN'T HAVE DONE ANYTHING NEWAY) vs. "These things happen" (I wish more people were callous!) always kind of annoyed me. Not so much the first time because I was too wrapped up in the scene ('Whispers of the Past' is one of the highlights of Katawa Shoujo for me), but every time since then has made her seem a little crabby. On one hand I appreciate it for being realistically ugly, since people that have been through what Emi has are likely to be rough around the edges sometimes, but at the same time I also think "Emi, stop being an irrational cunt and twisting people's words. They're not implying that there's something they should have done, just that they hate that such a thing happened."

I don't really blame her though. That reaction is part of her denial. "It's fine, I don't need help. These things just happen so its okay if I just forget about it and pretend it doesn't bother me."
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:Hisao's a good candidate too, since he doesn't seem to be dealing with his issue at all. Makes me wonder why the school doesn't have any sort of therapy or orinentation program for newly disabled students
Hisao takes his meds. The meds deal with his issue. And the school itself is therapy for him.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Numb

Post by Numb »

Dr. Casey wrote: Speaking of Emi's response to trauma, her thoughts on "I'm so sorry" (U COULDN'T HAVE DONE ANYTHING NEWAY) vs. "These things happen" (I wish more people were callous!) always kind of annoyed me.
Is it bad that the "these things happen" line was the only one I really related to? Granted for me it's always been a two way streak, which has had the side effect of pushing people away from me, but I found those words really wise. Though if you hated that, you might not like the direction Blossom is headed in the future :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

pandaphil wrote:Hisao's a good candidate too, since he doesn't seem to be dealing with his issue at all. Makes me wonder why the school doesn't have any sort of therapy or orinentation program for newly disabled students.
Given that Hanako has a therapist and even normal schools have councilors, I always assumed that Yamaku did have some sort of therapy department in it's medical building.

However forcing Hisao to go to one might just be the wrong way to do things. He's already been moved away from his old life into a strange new environment and told to take pills regulatory. Anything more he might start to actively rebel against.

In a way the school itself is a form of therapy. Surround him with people he can talk to and hang out with and let him see that being disabled isn't as big a deal as he makes it out to be.
Not Dead Yet
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Oddball wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Hisao's a good candidate too, since he doesn't seem to be dealing with his issue at all. Makes me wonder why the school doesn't have any sort of therapy or orinentation program for newly disabled students.
Given that Hanako has a therapist and even normal schools have councilors, I always assumed that Yamaku did have some sort of therapy department in it's medical building.
Not including a therapy department in a school specifically tailored to fit the needs of physically and mentally challenged teenagers would be rather stupid, wouldn't it?
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

HarvestmanMan wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Not including a therapy department in a school specifically tailored to fit the needs of physically and mentally challenged teenagers would be rather stupid, wouldn't it?
Yamaku doesn't have mentally challenged students.
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Lianam wrote:
Yamaku doesn't have mentally challenged students.
Its not so much mental problems we're talking about but mental health issues. We've seen how a lot of the students have emotional issues their struggling with. And lets face it, someone who's just lost a limb, or been struck with a life threatening ailment or injury is going to feel confused, or even depressed. It seems strange that the school doesn't have councillors or someone for the students to talk to when they're feeling sad, or afraid, or lost. The schools fully set up to cater to their physical needs, why not their emotional needs as well?

The way Hisao's parents just dumped him in front of the school then buggered off just didn't sit right with me.
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.