The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -23/09/14

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: The great fan fiction archive

Post by Mirage_GSM »

What I infer from this is that all fics currently in the archive that are designated as beginning "after Act 1" fall into that category. Is that correct?
Yes.
I would say that's only true if the story is OC-centric. Otherwise, there's a high likelihood of continuity clash.
Even if Hisao is the protagonist and the pairing is with one of the canon girls, the story will either be a divergence from canon or just a retelling of the original story. If it's just a retelling, it will usually be mentioned in the remarks section.
If it tells a new story it doen't matter when the story was written, because the point of divergence will be where the story begins.
Well in case of "Closure" it currently can cause some confusion:
I agree. Closure is a very rare type of story. It was written when only Act 1 was available and begins several years after graduation. There are at most a handful such stories on the forums.
I tried to make the information form so it fits as many stories as possible, but of course there will always be problems. I slightly reworded the entry. Is it clearer now?

Code: Select all

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4955]Closure[/url][/b] by [b]WetCrate[/b] (completed, 29.429 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hisao/Misha; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao X Misha; [b]Begins: [/b]several years after Act 1 Shizune end
[b]Remarks: [/b]
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
I would say that's only true if the story is OC-centric. Otherwise, there's a high likelihood of continuity clash.
Even if Hisao is the protagonist and the pairing is with one of the canon girls, the story will either be a divergence from canon or just a retelling of the original story. If it's just a retelling, it will usually be mentioned in the remarks section.
If it tells a new story it doen't matter when the story was written, because the point of divergence will be where the story begins.
I'm still not sure I agree. There are still many things that are discovered about the canon girls in Acts 2-4 that aren't known in Act 1. For instance, a story base on Act 1 might have Emi's father alive and well, or Shizune being an only child. One released after the full game obviously would not.

Obviously, this is not something that has come up yet, so I'm just being pedantic. I will stop now :) .
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

I actually have read a story where Shizune was an only child, though I don't remember which one it was.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I remember reading a story where Shizune was secretly in love with Lilly and when Shizune finally told Misha she was gay, Misha just laughed and said something like, "as long as you're not trying to flirt with me, we're fine."

I've also seen a few where Hanako's mother was still alive and had remarried. I think Hanako even had a half sister in one of them.

I can't remember if I read those here or in the pastebin though.
Not Dead Yet
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:I actually have read a story where Shizune was an only child, though I don't remember which one it was.
Y'know, if I'd only read Act 1(through act 3, really), I could easily have assumed she was an only child because she displays all the typical characteristics thereof--imposed self-sufficiency, narcissism, argumentative attitude, alpha thought process, etc.. When I discovered she has a brother, I was honestly surprised since that usually leads to a more parental personality, especially in the case of losing a parent at an early age (which is assumed to have happened with her mother). Then I met Jigoro and it all made sense...
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Oddball wrote:I've also seen a few where Hanako's mother was still alive and had remarried. I think Hanako even had a half sister in one of them.
It wasn't until the full release that we knew Hanako was an orphan. Only her father being dead was mentioned in any official material.
Helbereth wrote:
AntonSlavik020 wrote:I actually have read a story where Shizune was an only child, though I don't remember which one it was.
Y'know, if I'd only read Act 1(through act 3, really), I could easily have assumed she was an only child because she displays all the typical characteristics thereof--imposed self-sufficiency, narcissism, argumentative attitude, alpha thought process, etc.. When I discovered she has a brother, I was honestly surprised since that usually leads to a more parental personality, especially in the case of losing a parent at an early age (which is assumed to have happened with her mother). Then I met Jigoro and it all made sense...
Is the assumption of Shizune's mother's death warranted? If I'm remembering correctly, there's simply no mention of her at all, beyond being Lilly's father's sister.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

griffon8 wrote:Is the assumption of Shizune's mother's death warranted? If I'm remembering correctly, there's simply no mention of her at all, beyond being Lilly's father's sister.
Most people assume that. The common assumption is either that, or Jigoro and Mayoi (Shizune's mother's name) are divorced. 'sall up to the person's interpretation since we never see/hear about her. Then again, Shizune's mother, or lack there-of, might also be the "if it's not necessary to the plot, why mention it?"-thing
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Steinherz wrote:
griffon8 wrote:Is the assumption of Shizune's mother's death warranted? If I'm remembering correctly, there's simply no mention of her at all, beyond being Lilly's father's sister.
Most people assume that. The common assumption is either that, or Jigoro and Mayoi (Shizune's mother's name) are divorced. 'sall up to the person's interpretation since we never see/hear about her. Then again, Shizune's mother, or lack there-of, might also be the "if it's not necessary to the plot, why mention it?"-thing
Or she could be visiting Lilly's sick aunt. Who knows?
Not Dead Yet
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Is the assumption of Shizune's mother's death warranted? If I'm remembering correctly, there's simply no mention of her at all, beyond being Lilly's father's sister.
There's no mention at all, but the game does kind of imply that it was Jigoro who raised Shizune and Hideaki. In Japan, the father rather than the mother raising the children is kind of rare, ESPECIALLY if the father is succesful in his career. (which usually requires spending so much time at work and socializing with collegues afterwards that the father only really sees his children on Sundays) If Shizune's mother was still present in the family, but simply not mentioned, her influence would probably be a lot larger.
Don't know about that. Lilly's sick aunt and Shizune's mother are on opposing sides of the Satou family tree, so they're not really related and might have spoken maybe only once in their life. Seeing that Jigoro and Lilly's dad don't get along, I doubt Shizune's mother would leave to visit a relative of the person married to the person her husband vehemently dislikes.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Guest Poster wrote:
Don't know about that. Lilly's sick aunt and Shizune's mother are on opposing sides of the Satou family tree, so they're not really related and might have spoken maybe only once in their life. Seeing that Jigoro and Lilly's dad don't get along, I doubt Shizune's mother would leave to visit a relative of the person married to the person her husband vehemently dislikes.
Lilly's sick aunt is more related to Shizune's mother than Jigoro is, seeing as how Shizune's mother is Lilly's father's sister. Also, there's a good chance that if it's not just Jigoro's personality that Shizune takes after, but also Shizune's mother: I really doubt she'd give a rat's ass if her husband disliked her brother.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

may i submit an author remark about the saki pseudo route

"from semisoftcheese: please don't read it because i'm rewriting it, it's kind of poor quality. rewrites will be posted in pastebin and eventually re-edited into the thread."

thanks
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Lilly's sick aunt is more related to Shizune's mother than Jigoro is, seeing as how Shizune's mother is Lilly's father's sister. Also, there's a good chance that if it's not just Jigoro's personality that Shizune takes after, but also Shizune's mother: I really doubt she'd give a rat's ass if her husband disliked her brother.
Just because Shizune's mother is slightly more related to Lilly's sick aunt than Jigoro is, doesn't mean they're related enough to make the effort to fly to the other end of the world. Keep in mind that Lilly herself mentioned that she's had so little contact with that aunt that she can't even remember her voice anymore. If Lilly's barely had any contact with that person who is her aunt, what are the odds of Shizune's mom having more contact with the person who's her brother's wife's sister? The chances are kind of slim if you ask me.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Ugh! The more I read this, the more I get confused. What ever way you guys decide to do this fine. Odiously not everyone is going to be happy with it. So just keep chugging forward and maybe you guys can get this thing done.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

SemisoftCheese wrote:may i submit an author remark about the saki pseudo route

"from semisoftcheese: please don't read it because i'm rewriting it, it's kind of poor quality. rewrites will be posted in pastebin and eventually re-edited into the thread."

thanks
We're not allowed to do such a thing.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oddball wrote:I remember reading a story where Shizune was secretly in love with Lilly and when Shizune finally told Misha she was gay, Misha just laughed and said something like, "as long as you're not trying to flirt with me, we're fine."
Well, in almost every single story by Kosher any number from "two" to "all of" the canon girls are lesbians. They probably would have been even after the full release :lol:
That story is here.
I've also seen a few where Hanako's mother was still alive and had remarried. I think Hanako even had a half sister in one of them.

I've myself written a story where Hanako went home to her mother over the weekend, but I don't remember seeing the one you mentioned.
In another story I had Emi as the captain of the track team...
As for Shizune having a brother - Hideaki's existance was announced well before the full release. Most people also correctly asssumed that he was Shizune's brother - (though personally, I suspected that part to be trolling by the devs until the end)
may i submit an author remark about the saki pseudo route
One rule by SC was not to include any indications regarding quality...
If you want to we can temporarily remove the whole entry, but I think it would be easier if you just edit that disclaimer prominently into the top post of your thread.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.