Python25.dll Not Working

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
SierraLarson

Python25.dll Not Working

Post by SierraLarson »

There was another person who posted about this, but for them it happened right from the start whereas for me, it just suddenly happened after months of having Katawa Shoujo. When you click on the game, an Error message pops up saying "The specified module could not be found. LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed." and then says "C:\(other stuff here)\? Katawa Shoujo\PYTHON25.DLL"

The file's still there, and I haven't done anything to the folder that would make it be like this. The only recent thing I did was rearrange the files so they're closer to each other, and that's only /after/ this happened. So does anyone know how I can fix this? And hopefully tell me what may have happened?

And if I need to reinstall Katawa Shoujo, could anyone tell me how to copy all of my save file stuff? Like images, library, saves, etc.
Shockproof Jamo

Re: Python25.dll Not Working

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Can't help you with the Python25.dll-issue, since it has never happened to me. As for the savedata, the record of your progress is in a file called "persistent", stored in the "katawashoujo_actual"-folder in "C:\Users\UserNAME\AppData\Roaming\RenPy". That's the path for Windows Vista/7-users. "Persistent" stores the extras and stuff that you've unlocked thus far. It's the most important file to save. But also pay attention to the files named "X-LT1.save", where the X stands for a number. These are your progress saves that return you to the point in the path where you saved last. To put it simply, just copy the entire "katawashoujo_actual" folder from the location mentioned above to a secure location to rescue your saves. Then return the folder to it's original place after you've re-installed.

...Say, you insist that you haven't disturbed your installation of Katawa Shoujo. That's fair, but what about other software? Have you recently installed (or removed) any other software programs that might have, on the side, installed/removed their own versions of Python, that way possibly disturbing the Python installation that Katawa Shoujo uses?
SierraLarson

Post by SierraLarson »

I probably should've said this on my post, but I have Katawa Shoujo on a USB? ^^" What would be the location for that? Admittedly I just copied that address in the original post from another person and didn't realize the USB had a different address. My thing would be in H:\Sierra\Otome Games\シ Katawa Shoujo

WAIT WHAT

Ok so I had my folder named just as "Katawa Shoujo" before, but then I thought that I would be a little more organized and mark which games I had completed with シ. So I just removed that character 'cause that's the only recent did I even did to that folder, and it suddenly worked. And it looks like the other games I have marked with シ don't work either.

I... I don't understand. What does the title of the folder even have to do with anything? XD Does the computer not read foreign characters in the file thing or whatever?

Ok well this case is solved now.
Shockproof Jamo

"Well THERE'S your problem!"

Yeah, as a rule of thumb, Katawa Shoujo was never meant to be a portable application, you're supposed to install it to a fixed, local hard drive precisely because of the libraries that the game relies on. The closest thing to a portable KS you'll get is to install it to a laptop. Also, you're not supposed to change the path names post installation, Windows loves them and accepts them just the way they are. :mrgreen:

Hmm, your username sounds familiar...
SierraLarson

Post by SierraLarson »

But what would be the difference between a USB and... well just the laptop/computer? Just for the paths thing? (Don't know what else to call it. Like C:\User\etc.) And I'll make sure to remember that. XD That's really weird though; how the title effects if it works or not.

And I'm on other sites under SierraLarson. FF.net, dA... a lot of others that I can't remember.
Shockproof Jamo

I suppose you could use a flash drive, but the thing is, it'd only work with the machine where the actual installation was performed, because the KS installer places files and data to many different locations on the computer. There are the individual user settings, the Windows system registry, the Python-libraries... All of which won't transfer between computers, even if the actual gamefiles are on the flash drive. Computers aren't very smart, they only know what they are told. And Katawa Shoujo can only find it's files from those locations where it's own installer put them. Also, by using a flash drive, you are potentially increasing your loading times and thus degrading performance, because USB sticks read and write data slower than hard drives.

In short: Just install to hard drive and play on a single computer. It'll make life easier.
neio

Post by neio »

It MIGHT be possible to get a portable setup going with a batch script that changes the environment variables before running the program.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.