Fan fiction Vs Fan art

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Reyhan

Fan fiction Vs Fan art

Post by Reyhan »

Alright. I'm just gonna put this out there. I did a little searching, could not find a similar thread.

Just a few words with regards to all the artists & writers. From where i 'm standing, i noticed 'Fan fiction' is where the party's at. I believe i can honestly say the writers are going harder than the artists. In terms of quantity and quality.

Now i know there's a strict no requests policy but, being an artist myself, i can't help but take that as a challenge. I just hope one day the artists would pick up their weight & step up to the plate. Because honestly, i enjoy the fan fics a lot more & it's where i spend most of my time here.

It would certainly make things, at the very least, interesting. A little competitive spirit can bring life to things. Sure not everybody has the time but, it's just a thought. Maybe i'm just young, wet behind the ears & relatively new to the forums but, all the feels, all this energy has to go somewhere.

I wonder how many people agree... or don't. :P

I don't like making empty promises or be hypocritical, i've been drawing everyday ever since i joined the forum. Not only is it good practice but, i get to draw the girls all the time.
Emi Shizune Lilly Rin Hanako

tumblr
BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: Fan fiction Vs Fan art

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

I would be quite confident that there is vastly more fan art than fan fiction for Katawa Shoujo. You're just not looking in the right place. There's simply not really an established hub for fan fiction that isn't fanfiction,net, while there are dozens of established art websites, such as deviantArt, the various boorus, etc. If you want art, quite a lot of it ends up in the Shimmie. Otherwise, you can find a lot of art being reposted (or on rare occasions, posted for the first time) on the Katawa Shoujo Generals on the /vg/ board of 4chan. Fics get posted there too, from time to time, but it's usually as a pastebin link. There's a huge compendium of said pastebin links at KSG too, FYI. Again, you just have to look in the right places.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

Okay BlackWaltz. I'll do that. Maybe i was too harsh :wink: I'll see.

tumblr
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

I have long considered this and looked around more evn on top of what i did before starting the topic. And i stand by what i said. The writers go at it harder & more than the artists. Quantitavely yes, there maybe more fan art than fiction. But, you have to consider, that number is relative. Sure everyone has their own pace but, how long do you believe it takes to write A piece of fiction? And how long do you think it takes to draw a picture? With that in mind, how do you think KS Fan Art fares with fan fiction, in terms of both quality & quantity? Because i stand by what i said. At the very least here on the forums

EDIT: If you read my first post. You might be able to tell, I was just trying to liven things up in the art forum.I'm not just art-hungry or something. I thought maybe it would be as fun as the fiction forum if people were as energetic as the writers seem to be. Not just artists,but everybody. Giving good & maybe thoughtful feedback. I see it all the time in 'fiction'.

And honestly speaking, I don't get around much on the web. So most of what blackwaltz said went over my head. I did try out a few though. I didn't find what I was looking for. I probably did something wrong.

Anyway, I'll just shut up now & go back in my corner,and do my thing there. Feel free to add any thoughts if you like. If the thread's not locked or something.

tumblr
CaveRave

Post by CaveRave »

The majority of both of them are flawed, I feel. Except, with fanfiction, it's easier to mentally improve the story to your liking as you're reading it while fan art has glaring mistakes that simply can't be ignored.

However, it's possible to say that good fanart outranks good fanfiction at a first glance. Mix them together for a fancomic and you have something that is arguably unbeatable. If the quality itself is what you're implying. For Katawa Shoujo, I noticed that the fanfiction community's a lot more 'skilled' compared to writers for other fiction, which isn't a surprised considering that Katawa Shoujo is a word VN. Anyone reading it recently will still have its language fresh in his or her mind, and that language might draft into their work. Likewise, you don't exactly get better are drawing simply by viewing the same sprites, unless you try tracing them.

If what you're saying is that Katawa Shoujo has more fanart than fanfiction: I won't really have a clue about that. Thing is, I doubt it really matters either way.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I like both of them quite a bit, but in different ways. I am working on a little somthin' somethin' as far as art goes though, so I'll be doing my part, hopefully.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I prefer doing Fanart, myself.
The main reason I've stopped posting as much as I'd like to is my PC died and I'm being forced to use Ubuntu as a bridge until its replacement.
You can't run Photoshop on Linux.
You can't run anything on Linux.

Fanart
  • + I find it easier to produce a doodle than a oneshot
    + I can complete a doodle faster than I can a Oneshot
    + I'm a visual thinker, so any ideas are pre-loaded in my head as images in the first place

- I often go back to a drawing the next day and loathe it
    - Erasing and re-drawing an arm is a lot less favourable than deleting and re-typing a paragraph
    - I can only really draw when I'm home
Fanfics
  • + I can go into a lot more detail with literature, such as emotions and small details
    + I can type whenever I get a few minutes to relax, using my phone and Google Drive to pick up where I left off
    + Images are just snapshots of a scene, whereas fiction is the entire scene itself

- I tend to ramble. I ramble a lot. I have ruined a fair few potentionally good scenes by going off on small details and 'intentionally scatterbrained narrative'
    - As much as I pride myself on my vocabulary, I live in constant fear of repeating a word or phrase too much by accident
    - I am a shit for consistency
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

You can run GIMP on Ubuntu. Hell, I run it on Windows (though Ps is more useful). Before I go on an OS rant here's my take.

Art takes some planning, don't get me wrong, but writing is almost entirely about planning. To be able to structure any form of a story one needs to have a good idea of the characters, setting, and plot. This means you know how the story ends before you start, and you're not writing on a whim. Alterations happen, but a clear goal must be set. In other words, it takes massive amounts of time in comparison to art forms.

I feel that art is not as involved in planning due to the limitations of the medium. However, art can easily bring out a response from people just as well a story can. That's why there is so much fan art, in that there are already feelings from characters we visualize. Forming an image from description is not as lucid as seeing a picture right in front of you.

Animation/comics on the other hand, that's a whole different topic altogether.
[fahsign]Velitation[/fahsign] Remember, it's just a game.