Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

K_Amelia

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by K_Amelia »

Duo2Cuo wrote:She also stated that she can't throw a ball, even though this was probably her just taking the side of Shizune because she's Misha's best friend. I dunno, I thought I'd just throw my hat in the ring for shit's and giggles.
Interestingly enough, when I played through Shizune's storyline, I had a thought. Shizune seemed quite serious about not throwing balls... could it be that her deafness was not from birth, but caused by some kind of trauma? Involving a ball, perhaps.

Just a thought.

Back to the topic at hand, I was also unable to find anything that hinted at Misha's disability. I hope they reveal something in the full version. That kind of "loose end" would bug the hell out of me for ages.
(")(^.^)(")Katie
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

We can just say my explanation is Fanon until we get Word of God on it. :p

Thanks for the support, by the way, I thought it was a crazy idea, but it was the one I had first, rationale and everything, but reading the progressive deafness thing seems more likely in the end.

As for ball-trauma... Do you know how hard she would need to be hit in the head with a ball to go deaf? The indent on her head would be visible on the paperdoll. I think that one is more just she knows her own limits, and were she to throw a ball, she would be competing with Hisao, who, as far as she knows, is more fit than her in that game. Rule one of competitive people: never play what you can't win.

I'm not a fan of the ADHD or Aspergers theories not only because they aren't serious enough generally, of course, her father owning part of the school may help if it is a mental condition, but she doesn't seem reclusive enough for aspergers, most sufferers are afraid of being centre of attention, which she seems to strive to be. ADHD, well, I don't have evidence to deny it, but while she's "playing" with Hisao and Shizune, no matter how inept she is at undercurrents, her attention and ability to translate well for Shizune would be indicative of a VERY good attention span, which kind of goes against even the name of that disorder.
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

Eligre wrote: As for ball-trauma... Do you know how hard she would need to be hit in the head with a ball to go deaf? The indent on her head would be visible on the paperdoll.
While I too think this is unlikely, she wouldn't have to be destroyed like that to lose a sense. She would have to get hit in the back of the head, where the important nerves are.

A friend of mine was in a car accident a couple years ago, and he hit the back of his head pretty severly. He came out of the hospital able to see, hear, and move perfectly fine, but he couldn't feel anything. He couldn't feel anything at all, which is scary because he's into bodybuilding. Imagine facing up against a 220 pound guy who's ripped and can't feel pain. He wouldn't even know his leg was broken until he fell over on it (which never happened, but you get the idea).
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

Good point, it could be general cranial trauma causing the deafness, however the key then would be how a ball to the back of the head could construct an avoidance-requiring trauma. Most aversion-based traumas I have seen were purposefully done with full intent on one side and knowledge of both participants, not walking along a baseball diamond and *wham*, so there would need to be someone who physically beat her with a baseball to the back of the neck enough to make her deaf but not enough to kill her, or otherwise a life-altering occurrance with them like her parents drowning in a ball pit while she gets clubbed to the back of the head by a cueball with a cueball. Now, mental images of loli-Shizune tied up and a baseball player practicing pitching against her aside, she does not act "afraid" of the balls, in my opinion, just aversion to using them in competition, but ehh, that's hard to tell since there's not too much descriptive text around it.

Of course, since you agree with me, this rebuttal is kind of worthless, but an enjoyable thinking game anyways.
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

Eligre wrote:Good point, it could be general cranial trauma causing the deafness, however the key then would be how a ball to the back of the head could construct an avoidance-requiring trauma. Most aversion-based traumas I have seen were purposefully done with full intent on one side and knowledge of both participants, not walking along a baseball diamond and *wham*, so there would need to be someone who physically beat her with a baseball to the back of the neck enough to make her deaf but not enough to kill her, or otherwise a life-altering occurrance with them like her parents drowning in a ball pit while she gets clubbed to the back of the head by a cueball with a cueball. Now, mental images of loli-Shizune tied up and a baseball player practicing pitching against her aside, she does not act "afraid" of the balls, in my opinion, just aversion to using them in competition, but ehh, that's hard to tell since there's not too much descriptive text around it.

Of course, since you agree with me, this rebuttal is kind of worthless, but an enjoyable thinking game anyways.

Haha yeah, but the way you described that scene makes me really really hope it's not true now.

I think they were just doing it to watch Hisao struggle and try to pick between the two of them, like alot of other people have said.
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

I know I know!

It's accelerated hearing loss, or rather, partial hearing loss. In other words, hearing is severely affected (or to a lesser extent). In any case, it means that, just to hear oneself, you have to speak up (even when it's quiet!) and project yourself to hear yourself. Odd, I know, but it then becomes a habit. (Like myself. :mrgreen: ) That could explain why Misha is the way she is, LOUD.
ROFLWAFFLE!

Post by ROFLWAFFLE! »

I just think of her as just an interpreter for Shizune with no disability to make her feel normal.
"Michael Jackson ain't dead, he's just hiding somewhere in South America with Elvis n' 2pac."
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

ROFLWAFFLE! wrote:I just think of her as just an interpreter for Shizune with no disability to make her feel normal.
The thing is that she met Shizune when she moved here, since she even says she's not from the area. There must be something wrong with her to make her come here in the first place.
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

Nosson wrote:
Akira wrote:She reminds me a lot of this girl I know who has Asperger's Syndrome.
Usually talks quite loudly, but doesn't realise she's doing it. (That's Misha all over!). Sometimes stumbles a bit over long words. And has genuine trouble noticing when she's making others uncomfortable (like when Misha is leaning over Hisao after the confrontation between Shizune and Lilly and doesn't seem to understand why he's getting annoyed with her. Or when she always seems to be poking her nose into things). But she is very intelligent, and could probably learn sign language quite easily if she put her mind to it.

Not sure if that is what Misha has though. Just a suggestion.
I agree!
I second third or even triple that notion and out of what Ive read so far from 2 other M.D posts this by far has a better sense of understanding and thus her role at the school better suited in place. Thank you for a Logical reason
I only arrange Pics I do not Draw only use Photoshop. "All Characters Copyrighted".
©2006-2009 Four Leaf Studios
axi

Post by axi »

Misha has no route of her own. That's her disability.
Exdi

Post by Exdi »

Other symptoms of Asperger's is lack of concern for physical appearance and resistance to change.

Seeing as she's got hairdrills, I'd say that fits the first ticket.
Not really a fan of plays on words. I perfer ones on stages.
PsychoPJ

Post by PsychoPJ »

Lack of concern for appearance is not the same thing as lacking a normal sense of style. If Misha doesn't really care how she looks, then she wouldn't bother putting her hair into drills everyday.
Bara

Post by Bara »

PsychoPJ wrote:Lack of concern for appearance is not the same thing as lacking a normal sense of style. If Misha doesn't really care how she looks, then she wouldn't bother putting her hair into drills everyday.
No, those are not hair drills but pink brain tumors that are growing from her skull. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?

Post by Guest »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but at one point she is asked what time it is. She looks at the clock, then signs to Shizune, as if confirming something, then tells Hisao what time it is. I think this is a hint at what Misha's disability is. Also, and I know this has been mentioned before, she has trouble deciphering longer words from sign to English. I don't know what to make of it but I think this was an important clue from the Dev Team.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

i doubt it. since she isnt deaf, misha probably just isnt totally fluent at sign language.