Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

neio

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 09/11/13 ~ C.41 - Phone Tag

Post by neio »

Helbereth wrote:
Hoitash wrote:I mean, kids have smartphones now and I'm using the same cell phone I got six years ago, which was my first phone.
Does that mean you got your phone around the same time as Aiko got her new one--which would be the end of July 2007? If so, I'm curious about its features (researching stuff like that makes me want to kill babies).
While I've never purchased a phone in Japan, I did purchase a phone sometime in the winter of 2007-2008. It was a "feature-phone" and was mid-range. It had no touchscreen, sporting instead a directional pad with a select button in the center, two "soft keys" which changed function based on on-screen text, and a slide-out keyboard. It could do 3g but not WiFi (the opposite of today's remaining devices that pick one of the two). Texting interfaces have much evolved since that phone, which displayed each text message separately, one per screen. It was extensible through the now-mostly-obsolete .jar and .jad method of distributing Java2MobileEdition apps, including games, the Opera Mini web browser, and mobile banking functionality (probably not relevant to Aiko). Contact and text message storage was (very) limited, and I had to clear texts rather frequently. The "desktop background" equivalent supported animated gifs.

Ask me about anything else you want; I'll probably remember.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

neio wrote:
Helbereth wrote:
Hoitash wrote:I mean, kids have smartphones now and I'm using the same cell phone I got six years ago, which was my first phone.
Does that mean you got your phone around the same time as Aiko got her new one--which would be the end of July 2007? If so, I'm curious about its features (researching stuff like that makes me want to kill babies).
While I've never purchased a phone in Japan, I did purchase a phone sometime in the winter of 2007-2008. It was a "feature-phone" and was mid-range. It had no touchscreen, sporting instead a directional pad with a select button in the center, two "soft keys" which changed function based on on-screen text, and a slide-out keyboard. It could do 3g but not WiFi (the opposite of today's remaining devices that pick one of the two). Texting interfaces have much evolved since that phone, which displayed each text message separately, one per screen. It was extensible through the now-mostly-obsolete .jar and .jad method of distributing Java2MobileEdition apps, including games, the Opera Mini web browser, and mobile banking functionality (probably not relevant to Aiko). Contact and text message storage was (very) limited, and I had to clear texts rather frequently. The "desktop background" equivalent supported animated gifs.

Ask me about anything else you want; I'll probably remember.
That tells me a lot, actually. It at least tells me that she hasn't screwed up the space time continuum with her phone usage as yet. Her older model, at least in my undescribed notes, was a flip phone--something like a Motorola from around that era--I based that on the phone a friend of mine was using around that time frame. The new one, at least in how I perceive it, is closer to what you described with the limited navigation, pull out keyboard, and more basic amenities.

The saving grace is that, as this isn't a technology-riddled story, I can fudge the details. It's nice to have a basis in reality, though--having it be plausible is important.
exgladous

Post by exgladous »

LUL
Last edited by exgladous on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

exgladous wrote:wow, I just read the bit where Aiko describes Kenta. I am exactly like Kenta except not japanese, younger, and I don't have a disability.
If it's only the introduction, you might want to wait until a little more depth is added to the description before proclaiming your similarities.
exgladous

Post by exgladous »

Last edited by exgladous on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Just catched up on all of it. (3 weeks of time)
I am not someone who is great at commenting so i will just say good job.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Troy wrote:Just catched up on all of it. (3 weeks of time)
Yeah, took me nearly a week and a half of reading when I got the chance. Helbereth, this story is amazing. At pushing over 400,000 words, this story manages to stay dynamic without breaking the OOC barrier (Hisao aside, for he changes with every route) and carries through the emotional highs and lows of the original story. The only story I could really compare to this one would be Blame, and yet you manage the same emotional impact without the aid of a soundtrack. (Blame being the very first Fan Fiction story I have ever read, that carries some additional weight with me.)

Now, I know this may seem a bit over-the-top, but I mean it. I really, really like this story. Thanks, man.
Troy wrote:I am not someone who is great at commenting so i will just say good job.
:D
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

exgladous wrote:
Helbereth wrote:
exgladous wrote:wow, I just read the bit where Aiko describes Kenta. I am exactly like Kenta except not japanese, younger, and I don't have a disability.
If it's only the introduction, you might want to wait until a little more depth is added to the description before proclaiming your similarities.
oh no, I've read far past the introduction even when I posted that.
Well, I'm just saying you barely get a sense of his character in that first exchange.
Troy wrote:Just catched up on all of it. (3 weeks of time)
I am not someone who is great at commenting so i will just say good job.
Thanks.
Mournful3ch0 wrote:Yeah, took me nearly a week and a half of reading when I got the chance.
Only that long? o.O
Helbereth, this story is amazing. At pushing over 400,000 words, this story manages to stay dynamic without breaking the OOC barrier (Hisao aside, for he changes with every route) and carries through the emotional highs and lows of the original story.
I'll have to take your word for it here--I haven't had the chance to read it all at once.
The only story I could really compare to this one would be Blame, and yet you manage the same emotional impact without the aid of a soundtrack. (Blame being the very first Fan Fiction story I have ever read, that carries some additional weight with me.)
Would you believe I've gone around cherry-picking songs from free sites and assigning them as various themes for the characters that I play on a loop while writing? No, of course not--what kind of ridiculous person does that? Not me, no never...
Now, I know this may seem a bit over-the-top, but I mean it. I really, really like this story. Thanks, man.
Alrighty then. Nice signature image, by the way.

Oh, hey, while I'm here, I might as well mention that I had been writing a whole new chapter, but, upon nearing its completion, I decided to scrap about 80% of it and start back at the beginning. That's why there hasn't been a story update in over a month, but, rest assured, I'm working on it--I have about 1/4 of the re-imagining finished at this point.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Helbereth wrote:
Mournful3ch0 wrote:Yeah, took me nearly a week and a half of reading when I got the chance.
Only that long? o.O
I may not have alluded to 'when I got the chance' correctly. What I mean by that is every minute I wasn't otherwise preoccupied, I was reading your story.
And your sig isn't so bad either ;)
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mournful3ch0 wrote: I may not have alluded to 'when I got the chance' correctly. What I mean by that is every minute I wasn't otherwise preoccupied, I was reading your story.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I read through it in two or three days. Helped that I did that back when they were still at the beach house.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

every minute I wasn't otherwise preoccupied
You know, that describes pretty much everything I do^^°
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
neio

Post by neio »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
It's a bit of a problem for me. I finish books, the first 40 hours of a good videogame, any good fanfic, whole anime series, etc in as close to one fell swoop as I can manage. The most recent was a 98 chapter fanfic which completely destroyed my productivity.

Speaking of productivity, this fic is about as long as the first 3 Harry Potter books + half of the fourth. (!)
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
bpgbcg

Post by bpgbcg »

neio wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
It's a bit of a problem for me. I finish books, the first 40 hours of a good videogame, any good fanfic, whole anime series, etc in as close to one fell swoop as I can manage. The most recent was a 98 chapter fanfic which completely destroyed my productivity.

Speaking of productivity, this fic is about as long as the first 3 Harry Potter books + half of the fourth. (!)

HPMOR is pretty good, isn't it ;) I finished it in about two days, which is probably the most combined reading I've ever done in two days.

Can't remember how long it took me to finish TD; I think it was about 4-5 hours. (I had a really empty day.) Also, it was only on the early thirties in terms of chapters then.
Piano music for the KS soundtrack; I've done a few transcriptions which are on page 43 of that thread. Also, I wrote a musical theme for Scissorlips' amazing Suzu pseudo-route, which I then recorded here.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

neio wrote:Speaking of productivity, this fic is about as long as the first 3 Harry Potter books + half of the fourth. (!)
It occurred to me some time ago that if I did a little finagling and combined the first two acts, each act would be about the length of an average modern novel (100k+ words). In fact, I have this:
Note: The counts for chapter 1 and 2 are the edited versions that I did later--the ones on pastebin and the forum are closer to 6-7k.

It really is a lot when I think about it...

By the way, I think the only reason I ended Act 1 where I did is because it was in the spirit of the VN--if I think about it rationally, the first two acts really are just one.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Helbereth wrote:madness
Welcome to daft, we've been here a while. Here's your badge and complimentary pen, if you have any questions don't ask... :shock:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.