Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Silentcook »

Narcissu, once again, isn't about dating a bunch of girls. There is just one, and the time spent together is... definitely non-standard. Same goes for Ever17, or most of the translated Infinity series. I wouldn't really call it dating when you can't NOT be around each other. The ~What a beautiful [thing]~ series translated titles by Liar-Soft smash the convention to bits and dance on the shattered remains.

The "dating" part has a firm choke hold on the VN medium, and doesn't seem likely to let go any time soon. Yeah, pot calling the kettle black, I know. :p That's when "dating" isn't used as an euphemism to really mean "having sex with" - if you accept that broadening of the term, you start having serious trouble finding ANY VN that doesn't have love or sex scenes.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I haven't played for long, so I don't know if Katahane's story is good or bad, but one thing I can say for sure; the art is horrible. :/

P.S Coco's voice is annoying.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

yea, I personally am a big fan of the dating aspect of VNs (love mai waifus) but my friend is less interested in that :b
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Silentcook wrote:The "dating" part has a firm choke hold on the VN medium, and doesn't seem likely to let go any time soon. Yeah, pot calling the kettle black, I know. :p That's when "dating" isn't used as an euphemism to really mean "having sex with" - if you accept that broadening of the term, you start having serious trouble finding ANY VN that doesn't have love or sex scenes.
Well there are plenty of great VNs without sex scenes, for example Steins;Gate, Clannad and Ever17, all of which are considered among the best in the medium. Finding ones without love is undoubtedly a lot harder, but then there are plenty of fictional stories in other mediums with elements of romance. If you really can't stand any romance when looking for VNs then it'll rule out a whole lot of everything for you.
OtakuNinja wrote:I haven't played for long, so I don't know if Katahane's story is good or bad, but one thing I can say for sure; the art is horrible. :/
Would have thought you would be used to bad art if you're a fan of KEY.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I haven't played for long, so I don't know if Katahane's story is good or bad, but one thing I can say for sure; the art is horrible. :/
Would have thought you would be used to bad art if you're a fan of KEY.
I like the art in Kanon, and Clannad's art was passable, but Katahane's... Not even the backgrounds are nice. :shock: But I'll keep playing to see if the story makes up for it.
Sedinus

Post by Sedinus »

Since I'm a lazy fuck and certainly don't feel like browsing through 100 pages of recommendations, I've got a question - is there any good English VN for Android out there? Preferably something less than 400 megabytes. I wanted to give Steins;Gate a try, but not only my Japanese is limited (to say the least), but it also takes up nearly two gigabytes of space. I've got nearly identical issues with Chaos;Head.
Nobody in Particular

Sedinus wrote:Since I'm a lazy fuck and certainly don't feel like browsing through 100 pages of recommendations, I've got a question - is there any good English VN for Android out there? Preferably something less than 400 megabytes. I wanted to give Steins;Gate a try, but not only my Japanese is limited (to say the least), but it also takes up nearly two gigabytes of space. I've got nearly identical issues with Chaos;Head.
Tears 9,10 is the one that instantly comes to mind. Short but it's decent. You could also play Danganronpa via emulator on Android now too.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Had some flight time on my hands, and I wasn't willing to play Da Capo 2 in an airplane full of people who would look at me funny if it goes to an H-scene, so I downloaded Danganronpa for my still functioning PSP and had a blast with that. I've only finished the first chapter so far, but it's proving to be a lot of fun. :D
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Why's this thread dying? :( *uses defibrillator*

Played Saya no Uta and I can say that it was....disturbingly great! Pretty short, few choices, but with a good story (and grotesque/dark elements but I think I'm desensitized to such things).

Now for a funny/scary story, when I downloaded it and started playing, the writing was pretty much invisible (damn you applocale, took me a while to fix it) and the only thing I could see was that leaf that marks the end of a sentence. I thought the game was corrupted or something, and those images and sounds form the beggining of the game along with that glitch really made me believe just for a moment that I somehow broke the VN. :lol:

Edit: Can anyone recommend me some short and good VN's to try? I want them to be short because at this moment I'm pretty much busy with other stuff but I still want to play some...
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Firewind wrote:Why's this thread dying? :( *uses defibrillator*

Played Saya no Uta and I can say that it was....disturbingly great! Pretty short, few choices, but with a good story (and grotesque/dark elements but I think I'm desensitized to such things).

Now for a funny/scary story, when I downloaded it and started playing, the writing was pretty much invisible (damn you applocale, took me a while to fix it) and the only thing I could see was that leaf that marks the end of a sentence. I thought the game was corrupted or something, and those images and sounds form the beggining of the game along with that glitch really made me believe just for a moment that I somehow broke the VN. :lol:

Edit: Can anyone recommend me some short and good VN's to try? I want them to be short because at this moment I'm pretty much busy with other stuff but I still want to play some...
I'm pretty sure that that was what they were aiming for with those sounds. :P

Narcissu, True Remembrance, Planetarian and Juniper's Knot are short and recommended, so you should try those.
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Flutterz wrote: I'm pretty sure that that was what they were aiming for with those sounds. :P

Narcissu, True Remembrance, Planetarian and Juniper's Knot are short and recommended, so you should try those.
Well, they did a pretty good job, then. :lol:
Thank you for the recommendations, those should keep me busy for quite a while. :D
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story is a short, but funny VN. :3
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story is a short, but funny VN. :3
Speaking of which, Analogue - A Hate Story and Digital - A Love Story are short, and while I can't speak for Digital since I haven't read it, Analogue is pretty good. :D
Nobody in Particular

Firewind wrote:Edit: Can anyone recommend me some short and good VN's to try? I want them to be short because at this moment I'm pretty much busy with other stuff but I still want to play some...
True Remembrance, Juniper's Knot, Hanachirasu, Dra+Koi and Narcissu. Quartett! was decent too.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

I've just finished Da Capo 2, and I felt that it was a lot like an improved version of Da Capo. They change the way they do map choices, now you can immediately see where you need to go for a specific heroine rather than having to search every location. A couple of routes have the same themes as those of Da Capo, although they tackle them from a slightly different perspective and the non-supernatural routes were also much more interesting than they were in the first game. Finally, there was overall more content in the game, DC was just a bunch of the same things happening up until exams, then the girl whose route you triggered (not necessarily the one you've been spending the most time with, either) develops a relationship with you and so on and so forth, while in DC2 has you participating in a school festival at first, then hanging out with your chosen heroine and her counterpart and only then do you get to the heroine's route. Oh, and I really enjoyed the ski trip, not only is it a breath of fresh air when "vacation" usually means "beach", but I also happen to enjoy skiing more than swimming IRL. :P

Up next is Grisaia no Kajitsu, and if by the time I'm done with that they don't change it so that Kono Oozora can run on monitors with slightly lower than the required resolution, I'm just going to play than on my desktop rather than my laptop.