Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Conclusion Update!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Conclusion Update!

Post by Hoitash »

As I'm partly to blame for why you're so busy lately, I do apologize for that, and thank you for reading.
Helbereth wrote: Anyway, first let me pose a question: Namie Amuro?
I kinda pulled a random pop singer from my memory, and she was the only one I actually knew that wasn't related to anime. Ironically because of that music video you posted way back when.
Was anyone else reading the way Kenji and Emi were relating--throughout the tale--and interpreting it as repressed sexual tension? It seems to me that if they weren't at the wrong stage of their social existence--she being in a committed relationship, and him still unreasonably wary of women--they might have become quite the pair. Perhaps that's what I tapped into when I put them together as professional partners, though.
In another time, and another place, they could've called each other... lovers. Yeah, I noticed that, too. I ended up giving Emi a bit of a tsundere vibe, and thought it worked well, so I ran with it.

Now I gotta go find some Kenji/Emi fanfics.
The only bit that I felt was out of place is the issue with Misha nearly drinking herself into oblivion. It occurs late in the tale, and doesn't meet with a satisfying resolution, but perhaps you're planning a continuation thereof--something before the starting chapters of H&K. That said, it's written quite well, and having Hanako rise to the occasion as a voice of reason lends credence to her growth as a person.
Good thing I know what I'm doing for November First :wink:.
Then we come to the accidental proposal. Not that it was unexpected--I've been certain that's where the story was going since the antique shop--but it just happens so organically that they almost don't even notice. Having Hisao then clear the area--with Kenji's help--so he can get on one knee for a proper presentation almost felt awkward and unnecessary, but at the same time perfectly reasonable, and it gave the rest of the cast reason to spy from the shadows.
"Unnecessary and awkward yet perfectly reasonable" seems to be Kenji and Hisao's mantra these days, so thanks :). I am glad that the proposal scene worked well, as it was the one that had me the most worried.
When this started, I admit I was skeptical about it having much emotional weight, and I'm not a sort to have an outpouring of emotion over anything, but there were some truly touching parts here and there along with the verbal sniping, tweenage tomfoolery, and monkeys. As usual, there are technical flaws, a few incongruities, and a few basic disagreements over the portrayal of the various characters, but those are few and minor, and not enough to bring down the quality of this quaint, deceptively heartfelt novella.
Thanks, I figure I try to have fun and hope other people have fun along the way, and if anything more comes from it, all the better!
Cheers! Also blarg!
Ave Imperator!
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm... I remember Fanfics pairing Kenji with Yuuko, Lilly, Shizune and recently even Hanako, but I come up blank for Kenji X Emi...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Hmm... I remember Fanfics pairing Kenji with Yuuko, Lilly, Shizune and recently even Hanako, but I come up blank for Kenji X Emi...
Check my signature.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Check my signature.
Fair point, though I was thinking something more along the lines of a pseudo route.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Check my signature.
Meh, I know that one, but they're colleagues not a couple.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Helbereth wrote:Aside from that disconcerting detail
O I C WUT U DID THAR!
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
My search-fu is weak today, but I remember a story. Here's what I remember:
  • Completed before the full release.
    Post Lilly end.
    Dr. Gregory House showed up to diagnose Kenji's poor eyesight as being caused by some sort of tumor.
    Attempting to follow Emi & Kenji on a date, Lilly & Hisao wind up seeing a movie with unexpected adult content, possibly based on Fate/stay Night.
That's all I can think of.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Griffon8's Writing
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

griffon8 wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
My search-fu is weak today, but I remember a story. Here's what I remember:
  • Completed before the full release.
    Post Lilly end.
    Dr. Gregory House showed up to diagnose Kenji's poor eyesight as being caused by some sort of tumor.
    Attempting to follow Emi & Kenji on a date, Lilly & Hisao wind up seeing a movie with unexpected adult content, possibly based on Fate/stay Night.
That's all I can think of.
Being the masochist I am, I threw some keywords into the forum search and came up with this, which seems to meet those criteria: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2300
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Ah, I admit, I forgot about that one.
Started out like a crackfic, but improved considerably about halfway through iirc.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Huh, I'll have to give that a look; good job finding it, and thanks.

I could always write one myself, but I don't wanna burn out on KS writing, which is unfortunately almost all of what I write these days (at least until I'm done bothering Helbereth with my fanfic edits and we can get back to the real world every now and then :))
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Yeah, that's the one. It even showed up in my own searches, but nothing in the search previews matched my expectations, so I dismissed it.

Griffon8's Writing
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

griffon8 wrote:Yeah, that's the one. It even showed up in my own searches, but nothing in the search previews matched my expectations, so I dismissed it.
I looked for mentions of Gregory House, figuring there weren't many, and added that with mentions of Emi and Kenji. The moment I started reading, I decided I couldn't go through with it, though, because the use of hyphens as quotation marks just drove me nuts.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Very good, I enjoyed it a lot.

Out of curiosity, will your next story (assuming you write another story) be following this continuity, or will it be new continuity?
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Lianam wrote:Out of curiosity, will [his] next story (assuming [he] write another story) be following this continuity, or will it be new continuity?

Yes.

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Lianam wrote:Very good, I enjoyed it a lot.

Out of curiosity, will your next story (assuming you write another story) be following this continuity, or will it be new continuity?
I have two continuities, or universes to use the fan term; one follows the Master Detectives Series, one follows USM (which I will update for Christmas, if nothing else.)

This is a prequel for Master Detectives, set in that universe/setting/continuity, and so any story based in that setting will follow this story, at least in terms of them being in the same continuity.

So, yes, it will follow this continuity, though it won't follow the story itself. You'll see how September 19th, barring Acts of God or the gods of Chaos (don't worry, Creed hid a Titan behind a lamppost, so I should be fine:))

Glad you liked it, thanks for reading, and sorry if my response only confused you more; I seem incapable of providing short answers to questions (so naturally I want to teach...)