Waiting (Chapter Ten, 7/15)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Steinherz

Re: Waiting (Chapter Four, 8/24)

Post by Steinherz »

Acik wrote:
griffon8 wrote:Is it? I thought that was fanon and not canon.
Ya know, I searched for quite some time to find definitive answers to the structure of Yamaku. They never mention a class higher than 3-4, only homeroom teachers for 3-2 and 3-3, and only 3-2 has any real theme to it. Honestly I couldn't remember where I read about 3-1 being hearing impaired. I have read a lot of KS fiction and it is more likely than not that that's wear I got the notion. Perhaps Tomorrow's Doom? That's 3-1, right? Can't recall at this exact moment, but as long as I don't conflict with anything in canon I will sleep easy. If someone catches something, especially about the other classes, do not hesitate to let me know.

Also, apologies for the delay for chapter five. I could list off excuses, but that doesn't do anyone any good. I will do my best to get this thing posted as soon as possible. Tonight possibly, if my editor decides to get online. :roll:
I keep seeing the class groups like this:
3-1: Hearing Impaired
3-2: Vision Impaired
3-3: Everyone
3-4: Limb issues (aren't Emi and Rin in this one?)
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Acik

Post by Acik »

Steinherz wrote:I keep seeing the class groups like this:
3-1: Hearing Impaired
3-2: Vision Impaired
3-3: Everyone
3-4: Limb issues (aren't Emi and Rin in this one?)
This is more or less my reasoning as well. I view 3-3/3-4 as a sort of spill over class for those not serious enough to need to be in 3-1 or 3-2. However, one could say 3-3 is mostly filled with diseases and disorders. But people like Molly, Miki, Ritsu, and Hanako kind of throw that theory a bit off. I suppose they could just group them as tight as they can and then fill in the spaces. So 3-4 could have a higher than average number of students with physical problems (missing limbs, abnormalities, scarring), but would still have a sprinkling of other disabilities. Of course this is based on absolutely nothing but my own speculation, so...here's hoping people buy it. :shock:
Wrote a story, here it is: Waiting
Whoops, starting writing another one. This time: Zombies! Look Back
My Twitch Stream: Ovacko/Acik's Twitch
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Acik

Post by Acik »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Word of God
Much appreciated, and very welcome news. Dodged a bit of bullet. Would have hated to cover that plot hole.

Chapter Five is complete and will be posted as soon as my editor gets it back to me.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Acik wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Word of God
Much appreciated, and very welcome news. Dodged a bit of bullet. Would have hated to cover that plot hole.
Plot holes like that are annoying right?
Though that Word of God link makes it easier for people who are having later fics with OCs not in 3-3 and lacking major enough issues to be in 3-1 or 3-2 :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Acik

Re: Waiting (Chapter Five, 9/2)

Post by Acik »

Chapter Five: Impertinent Permanence

Holy crap. I'm speechless.

Like, actually speechless.

For once, it isn't my stupid brain getting the signals crossed. I simply have no idea what to say. What does someone say in a situation like this? I need to say something. She's just looking up at me...smiling. I wish she would let me out of her death hold. It certainly isn't helping me think any clearer. Come on, Iwasaki, think of something. It's just Kiyomi. Just your friend's little sister. Just here...at Yamaku...as a student...

Why?

That's all you got, brain? Thanks for the help.

Kiyomi's smile fades into concern as she lightens her hold on me. Crap. I took too long. Now it's awkward. Quick, say something! Anything!

“Uh...hey...”

Really? That's the best I got? Clearly, I'm an expert under pressure. I should become a negotiator.

Her concern quickly shifts into embarrassment. Her face turns bright red as she practically pushes herself away from me. She averts her gaze, trying to stare at anything but me. My eyes, however, remain glued onto her. I'm afraid if I look away both her and Kiyoshi will just disappear. As much as I almost wish that right now, I can't say that would be a good omen for my mental state. So I'll just keep staring, like an idiot, if only to solidify the situation in my mind.

“Sorry about that.”

Her voice shocks me out of my stupor. Yeah, she's real. Sounds real, looks real...feels real. But what the hell is she doing here?

“It's okay...I...uh...”

Kiyoshi steps forward and places an arm around his sister. “You all right? Having an episode?”

No. No, I'm not having a goddamn episode! Just standing here wondering why your sister is attending a school for the disabled. You know, normal stuff.

“No, I'm good. Hi there, Kiyomi.”

She finally meets my eyes again and gives me a small smile. “Hey, Yuuma. I missed you.”

Highly doubt that. But that's what you say to someone you haven’t seen in awhile, right? She was always nice. Not sure if I could return the same sentiment.

“I can tell. Try not to tackle me next time, though.” I really hope that came out playful.

The red returns to her face in full. “I said I was sorry! Besides, you are the only one I know here.”

“I heard about a new student, but I would have never guessed it was you.” I turn to Kiyoshi. “And you neglected to tell me why?”

Suddenly he looks like he did a moment ago: super uncomfortable.

“I tried. I got distracted.”

No, you didn't, Kiyoshi. You didn't tell me for the same reason we are dancing around it now. Something is wrong with your sister. She's here for a reason, and it terrifies you. Or you're ashamed.

I think I know him better than that, but he does seem really irked by the entire school. I really want to ask. I don't think it would be out of place. But I can't. I can't ask why Kiyomi Tagawa is attending Yamaku a solid half way through the year. Not only is there the general stigma surrounding the whole topic, but I don't think I could actually form the words to ask.

I quickly look her up and down. She doesn't appear to have any visible problems. At least not any part of her I can see. Her legs seem fine. Like normal, not...well...stay focused, brain! She can't be too fragile after jumping at me like that, so probably nothing like that. Maybe problems in her head, like me? Doesn't appear like eyesight or hearing issues. Damn, Kiyomi, why are you here?

She notices my staring and attempts to catch my eyes. “We wanted to tell you ahead of time, but didn't know how to reach you. We would've asked your dad, but...”

Her voices fades into something too quiet to hear, but I don't need to. I know all too well what they mean.

“It's fine. Blindsided me, but it's fine.”

She giggles. “I can imagine.”

Kiyoshi clears his throat. “Sorry, Yuuma. I really didn't mean to screw with you or anything. It's been a stressful few days.”

I bet. I wonder why they didn't seek me out two days ago when they got here? Not a top priority, I suppose.

“Yeah, I get it.”

Kiyoshi glances at Kiyomi and she stares back, having some sort of silent conversation. Must be a siblings thing. I'm a bit envious. Then again, having a sibling is supposed to be hell. But being an only child wasn't fantastic either. Maybe it was just me.

Their 'conversation' ends and Kiyoshi turns to back to me. “I'm leaving later tonight, but I was going to grab dinner with Kiyomi first. Wanna tag along?”

They both have smiles on their faces, but I can see through them. I know that smile. I do it all the time. It's not real. They don't want me to come. Just a gesture. Not sure if I appreciate it or not, considering. Either way, I know my place.

“Naw, that's okay. You two go ahead.”

Kiyomi frowns. “Are you sure?”

I nod. “Yes, spend some time with your brother.”

She shrugs, but I can see the relief in Kiyoshi's expression. I almost want to go just to piss him off. Revenge for the bomb he inadvertently dropped on me. But it would punish me as much as him. I can't imagine how awkward that meal would be.

Kiyoshi pulls out his cell phone and clicks through a few things. “Well, I gotta go check out of the hotel. I'll meet you in town?”

Kiyomi nods. “Sure thing.”

I almost recoil at how fast Kiyoshi approaches me. At first I think he might try to hug me, but thankfully he extends his hand. I grasp it and he gives me a firm handshake. “If I don't catch you again before I bail, it was good to see you again, man.”

“You too. Drop by again, sometime.”

Surprisingly, I think I actually mean it. Him being here has put my mind through all kinds of hell, but he was still my friend. Still is, I suppose. As much as I hate what seeing him reminds me of, I think I could deal with it in small increments. Once a year, maybe. With advance notice.

He gives me a light punch on the shoulder before quickly walking away. He really doesn't like it here. Should I sympathize or feel annoyed by that? Not important. He's leaving. Over. Moot.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. It's tough to be around him, now. Kind of nice, too. Confusing might be a better term. It's all very fucking confusing. But he's gone now. Things can be normal again. Normal as normal gets around here-

“Yuuma?”

I snap out of my thoughts to the sight of Kiyomi, very much still right here, her head tilted in question. Oh yeah. Normality isn't in the cards today, is it? Hell, I woke up at a normal time. Day wasn't normal to begin with.

“Yes?”

She gives a sort of half smile. “You seem a little far away.”

“Far, far away.”

She snorts. “Nothing new there.”

“You're one to talk. No one could even get your attention when you curled up into your own little world.”

Kiyomi's eyes widen for a fraction before resuming her amused expression. She probably didn't expect me to remember that. But how could I not? It was kind of creepy. She would just close off and hug her knees. Ignore everything. Almost everything. Two annoying boys can think of many ways to pester a girl into response.

“You're a little mean, you know that?”

“Yep.”

“Good, just making sure you know.” She says as she starts to walk away.

She's still a bit snarky. Not sure if I'm okay with that. Don't need any more of that in this school. Got that market cornered. Don't need competition.

“So are you coming, or not?” She calls from down the hall.

What? Out loud, dumb ass. We've been over this.

“What?”

Kiyomi turns and places her hands on her hips. “I got time to kill before going to dinner, and you're going to show me around.”

“I am, am I?”

She nods. “Yep, sure are. Come on, Yuuma, get your head out of your ass.”

Hm, not sure I have ever heard her say anything remotely close to a swear word. I like it.

“You sure know a lot about what I'm going to do.” I say as I move down the hall toward her.

“You're kind of obvious, hate to break it to you like this.”

Where was this a minute ago? Does she put on an act for her brother? Wouldn't be that surprising, I suppose. One minute, shy little girl. Next minute, sarcastic confidence. I'm beginning to think most girls have two settings hardwired into their personalities. At least two. Probably more.

“Fine. I'll give you a quick tour, even though your class rep should have done it two days ago.” I say as I reach her and we start down the hall together.

“I didn't start until yesterday, and I only attended briefly. No one offered.”

“Then your class rep sucks.”

She takes on a sour look. “She does. First time she saw me...gave me a look.”

I arch an eyebrow. “A look?”

“You know...” Kiyomi turns to me and contorts her face. “Like this.”

It certainly seems unpleasant enough. “Why did she give you a 'look'?”

Kiyomi shrugs. “No idea. But I could tell she didn't like me.”

Damn, girls are strange. Never seen this person before in my life, but I know I don't like you. Guys do that too, but we don't freakin' broadcast it. Or maybe we do. Don't think we do...

“So, where should we start?”
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Previous|Part Two
Last edited by Acik on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acik

Post by Acik »

I look around and realize we are at the front door. “Ah, um...not sure. Not much to see in the main building. Nothing you haven't seen before at any other school, anyway. The auxilary building has a pool and some other fitness facilities. Nurses' office is there too, but they probably already told you that.

“First thing out of their mouths.”

“Right. Well, that's about it. The grounds are nice, if you are into that sort of thing.”

She puffs out her cheeks. “You know...you're really bad at this.”

“I'll cross tour guide off my career list.”

“Good. I'm sure that narrows it down.”

I find myself smiling. Serve returned. Clever.

“Well, I want to see something. Why don't we just start walking?”

I shrug and we set out the front door. The sun is still high enough in the sky to cast the beginnings of what feels like quite oppressive heat. It's going to heat up out here fast. Whoever thought jackets would be a nice accessory to the boy's uniforms should be tried for torture. Even if I take the damn thing off I still have to carry it around. The price of style. Never worth it.

“You're going to burn.”

You were right, Dad, all women are mind readers. How horrifying.

“Well not all of us can run around in skirts.”

She laughs and ruffles her skirt back and forth. “It's sooooo nice! You should consider a kilt.”

I do my best to ignore the fluttering fabric dancing around her thighs. Does she even realize how...distracting...that is?

“I'll consider it.”

She smirks and, thankfully, keeps walking. I can't dance around the issue. She is an attractive girl. The primal part of my mind recognizes that fact. Recognizes and greatly appreciates. But every other part of my mind is screaming at how wrong it is. She shouldn't be cute. She shouldn't be anything. She should be the sort of gangly and clumsy little girl I remember. But time was clearly kind to her. Very kind. Gah! Come on, now. Stop!

“Why did you stop?”

Mental command was too strong apparently. Legs, you weren't supposed to listen. That one was strictly for imagination.

“Uh...” Damn, I got nothing. “Not sure, honestly.”

She quirks an eyebrow and shrugs. “Well, what's in this direction?”

She points away from the dorms, toward the field. “Track, soccer field, bleachers, shed...typical sports stuff.”

Her face lights up. “I hear you all have a really nice field.”

I shrug. “Can't say I know much about it, but I'm sure it's pretty high quality.”

Kiyomi lunges forward and grabs my hand. “Show me!”

On instinct I attempt to pull away, but to no avail. It's like a freakin' vise grip! She has freakishly strong hands. Hands that are pulling me quite easily toward the field. A few students cast questioning looks in our direction. Yeah, don't mind us. Just some girl, who is probably at least fifteen centimeters shorter than me, tugging me along with ease. Carry on, nothing to see here.

I do my best to keep up, but she's fast. I can take bigger strides, but she just keeps moving. Thankfully, it's a short run. One that leaves me a little winded. Geez, I need to work out more. Or at all.

Kiyomi stops at the edge of the track and releases me from her grip. A faint sheen of sweat coats her face, but her breathing is fluid and regular. I'm probably in a much more sorry state. Should have taken my jacket off. Then again, didn't know I was going to sprint across campus. Better late than never.

I slide the offensive green item off my back and toss it onto the ground. Much better. Pants are still a little much. Not sure I could get away with taking those off, though. Don't they give us shorts? I should really check my closet.

“You are so lucky!”

Huh, what? “Why do you say that?”

She turns to me. “This facility is amazing! It's so nice!”

Ah, fair enough. “If you say so.”

Turning back to the field she smiles as her greenish eyes take it all in. Her chest rises as she takes a deep breath. “Smell that grass? Wonderful.”

Grass? Forget grass. There are more important things in life. Like food and sleep. And how a girl's chest moves when she takes a particularly deep breath in a blouse like that. Damn it! I snap my eyes closed and take a deep breath of my own. It's Kiyomi. Just keep telling yourself that.

“Hey, wanna kick the ball around?”

I open my eyes to see Kiyomi with a soccer ball in her hand. “Where the hell did you get that?”

She points to the bleachers. “It was right there. Someone must have left it out.”

I sigh. “Sure, I guess.”

She smiles and walks further into the grass. She carefully places the ball onto the perfect turf and paces around it a few times. “When was the last time you played?”

Jesus...how long has it been? “I honestly can't remember.”

She laughs and takes a slow step back. Then the ball is hurtling at me; her kick a blur. I forget about any hope of returning the play with my feet and decide to save my head instead. I snatch the ball out of the air with my hands, a breath away from my face.

“What the hell was that?!”

Kiyomi just stands there with her hands on her hips, a full shit eating grin even Miki would be jealous of, and stares at me. There's a challenge in her eyes. Bad move, Kiyomi. Bad move.

I place the ball on the ground and slowly back away. I know I can kick it harder than her. She has no idea what's coming. I wind up and run at the ball as fast as I can. I bring back my leg and swing it forward with every ounce of strength I can muster. I connect solidly. The ball rockets away from my foot heading straight for...straight for...

Kiyomi turns her head with the ball as it arcs high and away, toward the forest. “Huh...interesting.”

I stare after the ball, too embarrassed to run after it. I seem to recall having a bit more accuracy than that.

“I see you haven’t really improved.”

Or not.

I resign from the notion of returning the ball. I don't think I want to play anymore. Besides, she tried to kill me.

“Don't change the subject. What was that before?”

A slight brush of red fills her cheeks. “I didn't aim for your head on purpose.”

“Uh huh.”

“Really!”

I nod. “Sure. I believe you.”

She puffs out her cheeks again. “No you don't. But whatever, you're just jealous.”

“Well, clearly you have been keeping up with practice. I have not. That's the only thing to it.”

“Played my first year in high school. Loved it.”

I sigh. “Clearly.”

Kiyomi chuckles and walks towards me. “Hey, give me your phone.”

“What?”

“I need to know what time it is.”

“Then ask what time it is.”

She rolls her eyes. “If I do it like that then I can't give you my number.”

Say who to what now?

Wait...wait. Calm down. She isn't coming on to you, you idiot. You are the only person she knows here. Think, Yuuma. You're good at that, remember? Think first. Don't jump to conclusions.

“Uh, okay. Here.”

I fish the phone out of my pocket and hand it to her. She taps in a few things and then hands it back. “Send me a text or something so I have yours.”

I nod and return the phone to my pocket. She stares at me for a moment before sighing. “Okay...I guess you can do that later then. Don't forget.”

“I won't.”

She smiles. “Of course you won't. Anyway, I have to go get ready to meet Kiyoshi. Want to walk back with me?”

Do I? I'm already exhausted. She is an exhausting person. And I was already tired. But it takes me closer to my bed. Hell, might as well.

“Sure, let me grab my jacket.”

As I move to pick up my jacket I notice my shoelaces came loose at some point. Probably after that kick. I reach down and take both strings in my hands. Then...then...huh...I...hmmmm...

Kneeling on the ground, both strings hanging limply in my hands, I suddenly forget what to do. Shoelaces? Damn, what the fuck do I do with those things?

I feel panic start to well up in my chest. I know something's wrong. I always do. But I can't do a damn thing about it. Think! Shoelaces...

I carefully place both strings over the tongue of my shoe and double them back. That's...that's not right. Crap. Come on!

My breathing increases as I try a few more ideas before taking a break. Kiyomi stands above me, the beginnings of concern forming on her face. I quickly snap my head back down to my shoe. I wish she wasn't looking right at me.

“Yuuma, it's fine. Do you want me to-”

“Just...go. Please.”

I hear her hesitate before backing away. “Okay. Don't forget to send me that text.”

I grunt something that I hope is taken for an affirmative. Words won't make it through my clenched teeth right now.

“It was good to see you again, Yuuma.” She practically whispers as she walks away, the grass rustling with her passage.

I take a deep breath. Dammitdammitdammitdammit

“DAMMIT!”

No one is supposed to see this. I can't hide my verbal apraxia. I know and acknowledge that. But my ideational incidents...those are private. And infuriating. Shoelaces! Fucking shoelaces! That's a new one.

I must look like an idiot. Kneeling out here, in the middle of the field, staring at my fucking shoe. Come on, Yuuma. Tie your fucking shoe. You learned this as a toddler! COME ON!

Eventually, after God knows how many more attempts, I figure it out. It's always the most obvious thing afterward. As it should be. It's something that is secondhand nature to everyone. But not me. Not Yuuma Iwasaki. And Kiyomi saw it. That's the worst part. She knows what's wrong with me, but I don't think I have ever had a sequence problem in front of her or Kiyoshi before. It's mortifying.

I shamble my way back to the dorm, pissed off and embarrassed. I need a nap. A really freakin' good one. One to make me forget what just happened.

Fat chance.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Previous|Next

Sorry about the delay everyone. Chapter Five was kind of a bitch to write, for many reasons. A weekly schedule shouldn't be too hard for me to maintain overall, but sometimes certain story points just kick my ass. This was one of the times where I just got stuck for a while. It will most definitely happen again at some point, but I will do my best to keep rolling these chapters out consistently.
Last edited by Acik on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minion of Chaos

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Loved the dialogue here (always been a fan of back and forth sarcasm).

One thing I noticed-
Acik wrote:"She does. First time she saw me...gave me a look."
Do you mean "me...she gave me a look"? I'm no grammar nazi/English aficionado, but it seemed off to me when I read it the first time.

And you shouldn't have to apologize for any sort of delay. Sometimes real life or writer's things (blocks and whatnot) can happen. It's all good
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It's like a freakin' vice grip!
What a mean thing to say about an innocent little girl...
Or did you mean vise-grip? ;-)
(I know the brits sometimes really spell it this way, and usually I like British spelling, but it always looks strange to me.)

Nice chapter, though your OC got a bit more douchy again...

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Joonwoo

Post by Joonwoo »

Whoa ho this is some interesting stuff. Keep it up Mirage.
Narcolepsy without the cataplexy. Tired but no random fainting. I made it, so can you.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I assume you meant Acik?

Sore wa himitsu desu.
RedRover

Post by RedRover »

What's this? A new chapter consisting of an interesting female character that isn't an absolutely perfect Mary-Sue?

Hell yeah.

I assume the thing about said female curling up into a ball is somehow connected to her reason(s) for being at Yamaku, mostly because of the way she reacted when Yuuma mentioned it. But, uh, yeah. Nice chapter.
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius
Quotes are fun.
I have a oneshot about little ol' Suzu. Read it! Or don't.
Acik

Post by Acik »

Minion of Chaos wrote:Do you mean "me...she gave me a look"? I'm no grammar nazi/English aficionado, but it seemed off to me when I read it the first time.
Not sure what would be most grammatically correct, but the phrasing here is deliberate. But if it confuses, eh, might change it...tis a small thing.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Or did you mean vise-grip?
(I know the brits sometimes really spell it this way, and usually I like British spelling, but it always looks strange to me.)
Hm, had to do some research on this one. Not sure where I picked up the more British spelling, but I will change it anyway. Cause 'Merica
Joonwoo wrote:Whoa ho this is some interesting stuff. Keep it up Mirage.
Mirage_GSM wrote:I assume you meant Acik?
Eh, let's spread the encouragement all around. Good job, everyone. Keep up the good work! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
RedRover wrote:I assume the thing about said female curling up into a ball is somehow connected to her reason(s) for being at Yamaku, mostly because of the way she reacted when Yuuma mentioned it.
Can't really say anything that wouldn't be a spoiler, but it certainly wasn't my most subtle use of foreshadowing.

Thanks for the input and the words of encouragement, everyone. I have learned a few things while writing this so far. Most of which revolve around how frustrating it can be writing a frustrated apraxic. Things have slowed me up or caused unexpected bouts of 'how the hell am I going to write that', but things are picking up, story-wise. Chapter Six is in progress and will be up as soon as possible.
Acik

Re: Waiting (Chapter Six, 9/9)

Post by Acik »

Chapter Six: Interrupting Interlude

“Hey, Yuuma! Got a minute?”

Called it. Fucking. Called it. Didn't even make it halfway back to the dorms. If there is a God above, he sure has a sense of humor. Or nothing better to do.

Not sure which prospect is more terrifying.

I grunt out something akin to a response and stop in my tracks. I don't want to turn to see who called me. That requires energy. Energy that has already been spent on keeping up with crazy Kiyomi and remembering how to tie my goddamn shoe. That, and I'm pretty sure I know who it is. Someone I really don't want to talk to right now. Or ever, really. Not unless I want the whole school to know about it.

“Hey, Miki,” I say as I turn around.

Sure enough, Miki Miura is running up to catch me. Crap, I do not want to deal with her now. This is about Makoto. He did something incredibly stupid, and now I'm caught in the fallout. Wish I could say this was the first time. Or hope it was the last. If wishes had wings...

Damn, she is coming at me pretty fast...

Is she pissed? Would she tackle me in the open? Makoto, I'm going to kill you-

Suddenly, Miki is in front of me, no more winded than if she had walked over. She brushes a few stray locks of her charcoal hair away from her eyes with her bad arm. Her good arm snaps up to my chest as she pokes me hard. I stumble a step from the force of it. Damn, she is strong for a tiny thing.

“Hello, Yuuma. Could I have a word?” She asks with a toothy smile.

I take another step back, just to widen the distance a bit. She doesn't look particularly mad. But that wasn't a particularly friendly poke, either. Her wide grin only makes it all the more disturbing. Times like this I wished she wore the girls uniform. For some reason the boy's top only makes it worse. Maybe it's the haphazardly worn tie? Certainly adds to the whole 'crazy' thing she had going on. Why does she wear that thing anyway?

I chance a quick glance at her chest. Maybe she doesn't fit into the blouses?

She flashes a devious grin. “See something you like?”

Damn, not fast enough.

“What do you want?” I ask wearily. Hopefully she will catch onto my tone and leave me alone.

Miki lifts her arms over her head and looks off into the distance, which has the unfortunate...fortunate?...effect of accenting her chest. “Don't change the subject, Iwasaki. I asked you a question.”

These track girls are all insane. At this rate I won't live 'til graduation. Some track chick half my size is going to murder me first. They act like it's all fun and games until you try to play along. And it will all be Makoto's fault. I'm taking him out of my will. No first edition Charizard for you.

Well, I'm not playing, Miki. I am in no mood.

“What. Do. You. Want?”

Miki turns her provocative pose into a stretch. “That can wait for a moment. You don't sound too happy. Don't like getting showed up by little girls?”

Oh, fan-fucking-tastic. Of all the people who could have witnessed that, it had to be Yamaku's resident gossip? Of course it did. Today's cosmic farce wouldn't have been complete without the added element of continued embarrassment. Should have seen this coming.

I attempt to say something back. Something witty, possibly mean...definitely mean, but I can't seem to think of anything. I'm so far beyond wanting to think about this right now. I'm going to bed.

Turning away, I begin walking toward the dorms. A small hand grips my shoulder. She isn't holding me hard, but it leaves no room for nonsense. Well, this is how I die, eh? Can't say it's what I would have picked for myself. I can think of worse ways to go. Might make a funny story.

Strangely, the killing blow never comes. Miki's hand leaves my shoulder as she rounds in front of me.

“Hey...look, I'm sorry. I saw what happened back there and I should have known not to push too hard.”

Wait...does she mean? Crap, she saw that, too?

I take a deep breath. “Just forget about it.”

Miki gives me a half smile. “Already forgotten. But, sorry again. Sometimes I don't know when to hold back.”

Really? Didn't know that about you. Call the press. Then again...

“Something we have in common, I suppose.”

She blushes for a moment before that suspicious smiles reappears. “Anyway...we need to talk.”

“I gathered.”

“Yeah...” She trails off. “You should keep a tighter reign on your friends.”

I roll my eyes. “Sorry. He's such an idiot sometimes. Can't believe he asked you out.”

Miki's eyes widen and she lets out a laugh. “What? Oh...oh...god, no.”

I close my eyes and rub my temples. “Are you telling me he didn't even make a move?”

Miki continues to giggle. “Are you kidding me? He was like a terrified little puppy. Although, it makes a lot more sense now.”

I'm going to kill you, Makoto. Just for putting me in this situation.

“Well, then what the hell was all that about yesterday?”

She finally gets a grip and slowly stops laughing. “That...that was just to goof on you. Mostly.”

“Appreciate it.”

“Thought you might.”

“Then what were you two talking about?”

Miki crosses her arms. “Things you should have already told him.”

Geez, what have I not told that kid. “You will have to be more specific than that.”

“Well, after he came to ask me out, apparently, he just kinda fumbled about for a bit. Was sorta cute, but a little annoying. After a while we started talking. He is a bit clueless about girls, isn't he?”

“He told you about Takara, I take it?”

Miki snorts. “Half of Yamaku knows about his little crush. I brought it up.”

Relationship advice from Miki? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Then again, he wouldn't listen to me. Maybe any action is good in this case.

“Well, I hope you set him straight.”

“I did my best. I'm no matchmaker, but that guy is clearly smitten.” She exclaims.

I force out a short laugh. “At least you don't have to hear about it all the time.”

She shrugs and looks away. “He has some roundabout ways to get a girl's attention, that's for sure. Asking me out wouldn't have helped.”

“Told him that.”

“He's not even my type.” She flashes a smile and looks me up and down. “I like my men with a little more...substance.”

I'm not playing. Nope. Try again later.

“Funny stuff, Miki. Real funny.”

She shrugs again. “I think so.”

“I'm sure you do.”

“Yep. Besides, it's pretty clear you're taken.”

Yeah...wait, what?

“Dear lord, Miki, lay off of all that.”

She grins. “What? She was cute. Those second years are so sweet aren't they? And this one was new, too. You work fast, don't you?”

“Remember that whole 'not knowing when to stop' thing?”

“I seem to recall you telling me to forget.”

I push past her. “Forget all of this, Miki. Please. Sincerely.”

“My lips are sealed.” I hear her call from behind.

“I somehow doubt that.” I call as I continue to walk away.

“Have a little faith!”

We'll see, Miki. You aren't known for your discretion.

That would certainly sour Kiyomi's first impression of Yamaku. Rumors of her hooking up with a third year on her second day. She doesn't deserve that. For your sake, Miki, keep this one under the lid. I don't want to have to deal with that.

And Makoto. What a moron. At least he didn't get his ass beat. Or mine. Still, I knew this was all going to come back to me. It seems like anything about him and Takara always ends up in my lap. It's not even my problem, but that's what friends are for right? I should really return the favor.

But, later. Bed. Sweet, cozy, completely predictable bed. I'm coming to you. Wait for me!

My brain spares me the journey as I realize I'm in front of my door. I lazily slip the key in and stumble through my door. I think I hear it close as I deftly navigate the piles of stuff and fall onto my bed. I was supposed to clean this place. Got distracted. Too distracted.

I snatch my pillow from wherever it ended up this morning and place it over my eyes. I take a deep breath and fall into slumber.

BEEP.

There is always just one more isn't there? Just when you think you're safe.

I groan and slip the offensive item out of my pocket. The screen lights up with a new text message.

[Hey, you haven't texted me yet!]

Seriously, Kiyomi? She is tiring even when she's not here. Wait...

I tap a response. [How did you get this number?]

Moments later my phone chimes again. [Obviously not by you texting me, like you said.]

I copy and paste. [How did you get this number?]

BEEP.

[Hey, a girl has to have her secrets.]

Great. I wonder how she did it? Kiyoshi doesn't have my number. Can you look that kind of information up somewhere in the building? Maybe she hacked into the mainframe or something. Or broke into the administration offices. Wouldn't rule it out. I have superpowers after all.

But I want to sleep. Not think. [Whatever. I'm going to bed. Later.]

I press send and let my arms fall where they lie. Come on, sleep. Get your shit together.

BEEP.

She would feel the need to respond to that.

[Sleep? It's wayyyyy to early for that. You're strange. Anyway, night night!]

I toss the phone down into the unreachable regions of my bed. Some sunlight still filters through my window, but I don't feel like getting up to close the curtains. It will be dark soon enough. But if I don't close them now then the sun will wreak it's horrible and unjust vengeance upon me come morning. I attempt to rise, but my body isn't having any of it. Guess I will just have to deal with it later.

I should have never tried to sleep at normal times. Look what happens when I do. Today was...I don't even know what today was. Exhausting. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Good. Stop thinking, brain. Shut down.

I think I hear a faint beep as I fade into darkness.
Previous|Next

Welp, this one was a bit short. In my original outline almost all of the events of chapters 4-6 happened in one, but the breaks didn't line up that way. I try not too make them too long or too short, but this one was even shorter than chapter one, something I thought wasn't possible :roll: . But, eh, sometimes it happens.
Last edited by Acik on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRover

Re: Waiting (Chapter Six, 9/9)

Post by RedRover »

Kiyomi be creepin.' 8)

For some reason, I still can't tell if I "like" Yuuma. I mean, he's enjoyable to read and seems like a pretty solid character, but sometimes he comes across pretty douchey. To me, at least. Like when he ends up just trying to walk away from Miki, or when he teases Hisao about Emi. But at the same time, he can come across as pretty cool guy. I can't think of when it was, but he did.

But yeah, nice chapter.
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius
Quotes are fun.
I have a oneshot about little ol' Suzu. Read it! Or don't.