Favorite visual novel?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

vaen

Re: Favorite visual novel?

Post by vaen »

to anyone who hasn't played fate stay night yet, go play it now.

and don't just download the pc version, but get the PS2 Réalta Nua rom too so the mirror moon installer can rip out the voice files from that. it adds so much to the game.
Eab1990

Post by Eab1990 »

Recently picked up Gadget Trial... Kinda hard, given my OCD-ness.
kyuven wrote:
Cody8977897 wrote:I would have to say Katawa Shoujo, School Days(though the bad endings were a bit much),Brass Restoration(The bad ends make you feel hurt though), Moonlight Walks, Tsukihime, Moon Phase, and finally Wanko to Kuraso(i loved animal ears and tails so I tried it and loved it :D
There's a VN called Moon Phase?
or do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Phase
Cuz...Tsukuyomi was a manga-to-anime, not a VN =x
That's what I thought too. >_>
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

I think I've said this before, that Saya no Uta was my favorite. Not only for the creepy environments, but also because every ending is a bad ending.
These fermions smell positively ionic.

Post by Guest »

The only VN I playes beside KS was Narcissu. I didn't like it because 1) it had no decision points at all and its plot was meaningless 2) for some reason its background was absolutely transparent, so background windows and wallpaper were visibly inside of Narcissu. I just turned wallpaper to solid black.

Post by Guest »

When it comes to VNs, my favorites would probably be Ever 17, Kana - little sister, Fate/Stay Night (Even without voices it's pretty awesome), ef - a fairy tale of the two (even though I'm still waiting for the translation), Wind ~A breath of heart~, Utawarerumono, Chaos; Head, Narcissu (I just love bittersweet stories), Planetarian and last but defenitely not least Umineko no Naku Koro ni (There are only 4 story arcs out, but It's well worth the 50+ hours spent reading).

Others Ive played are Snow Sakura, True Remembrance (which was my first VN) and a few others I cant remember.

Haha, yeah, just looking at this post you can tell-- just about every Visual Novel I've played is under "favorites." That's mainly because I just really, REALLY love the genre. Can't wait for Katawa Shoujo!
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Guest wrote:When it comes to VNs, my favorites would probably be Ever 17, Kana - little sister, Fate/Stay Night (Even without voices it's pretty awesome), ef - a fairy tale of the two (even though I'm still waiting for the translation), Wind ~A breath of heart~, Utawarerumono, Chaos; Head, Narcissu (I just love bittersweet stories), Planetarian and last but defenitely not least Umineko no Naku Koro ni (There are only 4 story arcs out, but It's well worth the 50+ hours spent reading).

Others Ive played are Snow Sakura, True Remembrance (which was my first VN) and a few others I cant remember.

Haha, yeah, just looking at this post you can tell-- just about every Visual Novel I've played is under "favorites." That's mainly because I just really, REALLY love the genre. Can't wait for Katawa Shoujo!
There are bad ones. Oh, trust me. There are necrotizingly horrid VNs out there.
Miroku

Post by Miroku »

bitpeg wrote:

Of that I'm sure. Snow Drop was pretty bad.

Post by Guest »

bitpeg wrote:
Guest wrote:When it comes to VNs, my favorites would probably be Ever 17, Kana - little sister, Fate/Stay Night (Even without voices it's pretty awesome), ef - a fairy tale of the two (even though I'm still waiting for the translation), Wind ~A breath of heart~, Utawarerumono, Chaos; Head, Narcissu (I just love bittersweet stories), Planetarian and last but defenitely not least Umineko no Naku Koro ni (There are only 4 story arcs out, but It's well worth the 50+ hours spent reading).

Yeah, I'm sure there are bad ones. But I only play Ren'Ai games and VNs that are heavy on plot. And all of the ones I've played have been reccomended to me, so yeah, I haven't played a bad one yet. Oh and btw, I'm the same guest that posted that up there. Maybe I should register or something.
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

Kana. Hands down. It made me feel true attachment and really cry, Kaiji-level manly tears.

However, I appreciate a number of other VNs. Katawa isn't here because it isn't finished yet, but it looks good so far.

Princess Waltz: It was.. decent. I don't think it lived up to the hype it has on Jlist. Lunlun was the best character, of course, but the story itself wasn't too engrossing, the combat was overly simple to beat anything, and the H-scenes were not as numerous as expected when considering the other two points (normally they have more H when the story is lacking. And yes, I found the story lacking.)
Lightning Warrior Raidy: Not a VN, I know, but it branches off Princess Waltz, in terms of a combat H game, far superior in my opinion, though no real storyline to speak of.

Xchange had a novel concept, and I think is a good benchmark level to base other very H-heavy VNs off of, storyline-wise.

Bible Black: Excellent. Now, I mean the story. It deals with occultism and goetia very carefully, and in many cases, very accurately. It also explores the moral boundries and necessary evil. Since it is H-heavy, most people don't see this past the futanari oppai mind-controlled nurses, but the most obvious is this: If you behave good, your girl dies. You need to do evil in order to save her.

I wanna be the guy (IWBTG): Amazing VN, everyone try it, it is challenging and engrossing... Wait, it isn't a VN, why is it in my VN folder?
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Eligre wrote:You need to do evil in order to save her.
This happens in one of the Star Wars comics, Dark Empire. It's an excellent read, if you're into that kind of thing.
Eab1990

Post by Eab1990 »

Guest wrote:The only VN I playes beside KS was Narcissu. I didn't like it because 1) it had no decision points at all and its plot was meaningless 2) for some reason its background was absolutely transparent, so background windows and wallpaper were visibly inside of Narcissu. I just turned wallpaper to solid black.
I didn't like Narcissu either. Felt too much like a Hantsuki ripoff.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora is a great romance anime, btw. Do watch it if you're interested. It's loads better than Narcissu, IMO.
Eligre wrote:I wanna be the guy (IWBTG): Amazing VN, everyone try it, it is challenging and engrossing... Wait, it isn't a VN, why is it in my VN folder?
Funny how I just picked up the game yesterday.

*cries out of frustration*

Eh, first few rooms aren't too bad. Lower path, that is. Upper path can die a painful death. Or not.
Blue Canary

Post by Blue Canary »

Ha ha, an IWBTG VN. Each decision has 500 choices, 499 of which are dead ends. I've only played KS and the first Ace Attorney before, but I'm currently playing Fate/stay night and loving the fuck out of it. The only problem I have with it is that the H detracts from the story.
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

I prefer regular novels to be honest. You can say this is my first visual novel, and thus I don't really have anything to compare it to.
To answer the title... well... This is the only/the best visual novel i've read so far.
unkind

Post by unkind »

just remember reading fate/stay night will make your life at least 3% better :D
simpleDvorak

Post by simpleDvorak »

unkind wrote:just remember reading fate/stay night will make your life at least 3% better :D
Fateは文学
(Fate is Literature)

I loved Fate/Stay Night, but have yet to decide whether Hollow Ataraxia is worth playing.

And F/SN definitely made my life more than 3% better. :wink:
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.