Rooftops (An Emi Story)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Numb

Rooftops (An Emi Story)

Post by Numb »

So I tend to write random stories when I can't sleep at night, and I found one that is KS based that I think might fit in here. Enjoy, though the majority of this is probably not canon

Rooftops

I remember that day. It was the day my life changed. March fourteenth, back at Yamaku High. She was there, with me. I miss her.
That day was the day she confessed to me. It wasn’t formal in the least, it wasn’t romantic either. It was perfect.
We were on the rooftop, where we usually ate our lunch. Oddly, Rin wasn’t there that day. We never found out why, though I have always believed she knew what was going to happen.
She was a peculiar person, Rin. She painted, though it was never driven by emotion. She painted because she could, and the results were beautiful. She had just finished one of her most memorable works; a mural with no meaning.
She painted it without thinking, without feeling, and just let her brush dance across the wall, in a state of bliss while she did it. Sadly, she passed away last year. Brain cancer...
I never thought I would say it, but I miss Rin. She always knew what to say, even though she didn’t know what it was she was talking about. Words never worked for her, so her best way to communicate was through her art.
It is how she told me she missed Emi too…
I still have that painting. One she painted of the three of us, eating lunch on the rooftop. When I look into it, it isn’t just a painting, but a window to the past. The past, where I still had both of them…

I married Emi when we were still young. She was never one for tradition, it reminded her too much of her past life. The life before she lost her father.
I remember my struggle to stay with her, when she kept pushing me further away. The day eventually came though, and she opened up to me. She told me why she could never trust anyone. Why she couldn't love anyone…
She had been alone for so long. The death of her father had brought with it the death of her being, her belief. They shared a bond stronger than any I have ever known…
She told me that day, she told me never to leave. She told me she didn’t want to love me, because she had already had everything torn away from her once. Everything…
She lost her legs in the accident. If it weren't Emi, everything would be pointless. She pushed though. She learned how to walk on her prosthetics, she learned how to run again. She rebuilt her memories of her father.
She and I were kindred spirits. I suffer from a heart condition, arrhythmia, causing my heart to “flutter”. It would occasionally beat too fast, or too slow, and make me feel as though I were having a heart attack.
This condition crippled me in the same ways, wrenching me from my old existence and throwing me into a new one. I used to swim, to clear my mind of any problems. When your main concern is staying afloat, you forget your woes. I can’t do that anymore…
I turned to science after attending Yamaku, out of a love for the subject. It had a happy side effect of potentially fixing my heart, though that was never a priority for me.
No.
All I cared about back then was Emi.
The rooftop, where we shared out first kiss. The same rooftop I saw fall two years ago, when Yamaku was demolished. All of my memories of her, the memories of our love, spit upon.
March fourteenth. The day I won. I had always seen Emi that way, but believed we could never be. She was too popular, too beautiful. Too perfect for me. She saw me in the same light.
We shared lunch, the same way we always had. We talked about the career work-cards we had been given in classes, and how she simply put down “Pirate”.
She took the initiative. It was a simple question, a childish one, but it shaped our lives in ways neither of us could comprehend.

“If I ran away to be a pirate… Would you come with me?”
“Of course! Who in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to sail the seas with you?”

It was then that we fell for each other. She smiled at me, that smile she saved for moments of true happiness. Her lips would scrunch up near the corners. It was adorable.

“You know Hisao, if you’re gonna kiss me, you should do it now. Lunch is almost over!”

She always knew what to say, and how to say it. Had she thought about it, we would never have happened. She would, like myself, have a perfect scenario laid out. Neither of our plans would come to fruition.
Her lips tasted like strawberries. Her hair carried the same scent.

She is gone now… Pneumonia.
Our favourite pastime, jogging in the rain, killed her. It filled her lungs, and we failed to catch it early. We thought it was a cold. When you know your partner is dying, and you can’t do anything… You feel hopeless.

And now I lay here, in the park by the pond. People around me panicking, screaming for a doctor. A small grin spreads across my face as my memories flood back. I feel as though I am ascending the stairs to the rooftop, to join Emi and Rin for one last lunch… Together.

Leave feedback please, I have actually found a few beginnings for a Miki route in my notes as well, and am considering following up on the idea and writing one. No promises though, I will be very busy with school, and if I start it now I will most likely never finish it.
Last edited by Numb on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Shail

Re: Rooftops (An Emi Story)

Post by Shail »

*reads*
I hate you.
~I hate endings~ Fan fiction is the only way to keep KS alive!
~The only good ending is a sequel~
~Want to know why I REALLY fucking hate endings? Mirai Nikki Want to know why I love epilogues? Watch the Mirai Nikki OVA
~Mirai Nikki: A perfect example of endings I hate~
Hanako -> Rin -> Shizune -> ? -> ?
Silver

Post by Silver »

Why did I read this...sad now :cry:
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Rin with brain cancer and Emi with pneumonia? That sounds familiar.

It seems needlessly sad and dramatic, so I can't really say that it's my thing.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Shail

Post by Shail »

I personally have a strong distaste for stories where the only goal is to incite feelings of anger and sadness, it's like... fuck you too. Unfortunately it is the goal of quite a few one shots and shorts, which is one of the reasons I have such a strong distaste for them. Very few long stories have sad endings, the ones that do usually have a good/bad route split. If you want to read a fanfic that makes you really hate the author, check Oddballs works, he has one fanfic about Hanako as a taxi driver that, by the end of it, made me want to punt a puppy ;-; y u do dis
~Want to know why I REALLY fucking hate endings? Mirai Nikki Want to know why I love epilogues? Watch the Mirai Nikki OVA
Numb

Post by Numb »

Mahorfeus wrote:Rin with brain cancer and Emi with pneumonia? That sounds familiar.

It seems needlessly sad and dramatic, so I can't really say that it's my thing.
The Rin cancer and Emi pneumonia is actually from another fan fiction I must have read prior to writing this. Let me see if I can find the link :wink:

I found it, it is That Guy's Emilogue, you can find it in his Epilogue Emporium here http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6560
Last edited by Numb on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Numb

Post by Numb »

Shail wrote:I personally have a strong distaste for stories where the only goal is to incite feelings of anger and sadness, it's like... fuck you too. Unfortunately it is the goal of quite a few one shots and shorts, which is one of the reasons I have such a strong distaste for them. Very few long stories have sad endings, the ones that do usually have a good/bad route split. If you want to read a fanfic that makes you really hate the author, check Oddballs works, he has one fanfic about Hanako as a taxi driver that, by the end of it, made me want to punt a puppy ;-; y u do dis
I tried to soften this from what I originally wrote too, as it actually made me cringe when I realised what I had done. I deleted the note after moving it to here though, so unfortunately I can't share to original ending, but let's just say this used to be longer.
Shail

Post by Shail »

I think works like this should have a NSFF tag on them(Not safe for feels) :| I read just about every KS fanfic I come across, but there's quite a few that leave me wishing I hadn't read them afterwards. (Like the Hanako baking herself into her food and feeding it to her guests fanfic...)
Silver

Post by Silver »

Shail wrote:(Like the Hanako baking herself into her food and feeding it to her guests fanfic...)
What was it called? Morbid curiosity activate!
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Silver wrote:
Shail wrote:(Like the Hanako baking herself into her food and feeding it to her guests fanfic...)
What was it called? Morbid curiosity activate!
I have a feeling it's one of the one's by Doomish that got deleted.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Shail

Post by Shail »

Possible, the thread was up a few days after I joined on forums, it was far back in the forum though, one of the back pages.
Shail

Post by Shail »

Numb wrote: She learned how to walk on her

prosthesis, <---

she learned how to run again.
*reads again* I still hate you, with a passion. What do you do in your spare time to think of stories like these? Kick puppies?
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

i kinda like this.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Shail

Post by Shail »

Comrade wrote:i kinda like this.
This explains alot about you
Numb

Post by Numb »

Shail wrote:
Numb wrote: She learned how to walk on her

prosthesis, <---

she learned how to run again.
*reads again* I still hate you, with a passion. What do you do in your spare time to think of stories like these? Kick puppies?
No, I love puppies! I am just cynical by nature. Oh, and what if I told you, I wrote this in about ten minutes?