Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nobody in Particular

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Nobody in Particular »

shockzzz wrote:I don't remember where I discovered it, but just like KS, when I finished all the routes, I got that "Well now what do I do with my life?" feeling haha. And then I found out that there are 2 more games in this series: "Grisaia no Meikyuu" and "Grisaia no Rakuen."

Tears of joy almost came to my face. And then I found out that the translators aren't even planning on an English patch anytime soon. Seriously soul crushing. Looks like I need a new VN for awhile :(
Well Meikyuu and Rakuen will most likely get translated at some stage if the original has already been done, since they're much shorter. Rakuen is also meant to be fantastic and is considered the best of the series.

Given that you really liked KS and Grisaia, I'd recommend Symphonic Rain and Cross✝Channel. If you want something completely different try the Muv-Luv trilogy or the recently translated Danganronpa.
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Well Meikyuu and Rakuen will most likely get translated at some stage if the original has already been done, since they're much shorter. Rakuen is also meant to be fantastic and is considered the best of the series.

Given that you really liked KS and Grisaia, I'd recommend Symphonic Rain and Cross✝Channel. If you want something completely different try the Muv-Luv trilogy or the recently translated Danganronpa.
Yeah I follow the translator on Twitter. He said he planned on translating it but not anytime soon. And thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for a new VN.
Last edited by shockzzz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

its not a like KS... but i do highly recommend Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward. my mind was blown thoroughly and without any warning and no sign of holding back. and it was great. its a VN on vita if anyone has it. or you can watch a lets play... but that doesnt give the same effect as if you were the one playing and making decisions.
no hidden message in here
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
shockzzz wrote:I don't remember where I discovered it, but just like KS, when I finished all the routes, I got that "Well now what do I do with my life?" feeling haha. And then I found out that there are 2 more games in this series: "Grisaia no Meikyuu" and "Grisaia no Rakuen."

Tears of joy almost came to my face. And then I found out that the translators aren't even planning on an English patch anytime soon. Seriously soul crushing. Looks like I need a new VN for awhile :(
Well Meikyuu and Rakuen will most likely get translated at some stage if the original has already been done, since they're much shorter. Rakuen is also meant to be fantastic and is considered the best of the series.

I just got Cross Channel and will start that shortly. Plot sounds interesting so I'll see how this goes. Thanks! :)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I'm waiting for this before playing the VN. :D
I'd still recommend the VN first, but at the end of the day it's your call. :P
stanman237 wrote:As for the Air Beta patch, can you tell us how it is? I'm in the middle of Umineko but I might look into it later
Well, as expected parts of the translation aren't very well done at all, but it seems like that's only the parts that the TL team inherited, so hopefully it'll be fixed when they release the non-beta patch. As for the VN itself, it's very much a Key VN except for the fact that you don't play a highschooler for once(however the heroines are highschoolers, which makes them developing a crush on you the slightest bit weird), but other than that it does the usual peaceful days start into some kind of tragedy, and has some never fully explained fantasy elements which I know some people don't like, although maybe they get explained later, I've only done the Dream arc so far.
hitman555z wrote:its not a like KS... but i do highly recommend Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward. my mind was blown thoroughly and without any warning and no sign of holding back. and it was great. its a VN on vita if anyone has it. or you can watch a lets play... but that doesnt give the same effect as if you were the one playing and making decisions.
I'm planning on picking it up once I'm done with Persona 4 Golden, which might still take a while. :P
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

hitman555z wrote:its not a like KS... but i do highly recommend Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward. my mind was blown thoroughly and without any warning and no sign of holding back. and it was great. its a VN on vita if anyone has it. or you can watch a lets play... but that doesnt give the same effect as if you were the one playing and making decisions.
I'm planning on picking it up once I'm done with Persona 4 Golden, which might still take a while. :P[/quote]

that reminds me. i still need to get to the secret true ending on golden. i also need to get magatsu-izanagi. but since i have yoshitsune with hasou tobi, it should be cake :lol: but i wont get a platinum on it. i am not gonna break my head trying to get every dialogue from rise. thats just too much :/

but i do highly recommend zero escape. if you have psn plus, you could probably still get it free.
DaBa

Post by DaBa »

I haven't played a lot of VN, but if you want to try a wildcard, go for "Princess Waltz". It's a good mixture of action, romance, some drama and H stuff (the general theme and feel is simmilar to fate/stay night). Although, I found sex scenes in that game a little more... intense then you would think they are.
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

I'm planning on picking it up once I'm done with Persona 4 Golden, which might still take a while. :P[/quote]
strongly recommend it :D

P4G will definitely take a while if you are planning on going for all social links, all personas, especially getting the best skills for yoshitsune. if you plan on getting magatsu-izanagi, thats gonna be 2 playthroughs. if you want izanagi-no-okami also, thats 3 play throughs XD

oh yea, and each party member has a 3rd persona stage, not just 2.
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

Flutterz wrote:
I'm planning on picking it up once I'm done with Persona 4 Golden, which might still take a while. :P

P4G will definitely take a while if you are planning on going for all social links, all personas, especially getting the best skills for yoshitsune. if you plan on getting magatsu-izanagi, thats gonna be 2 playthroughs. if you want izanagi-no-okami also, thats 3 playthroughs XD

DaBa

Post by DaBa »

hitman555z wrote:

:(

I would love to buy myself Vita just to play this... and Disgaea 3... and some other games... yeah.
I'm too impatient to save my work money anyways.
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

DaBa wrote:
hitman555z wrote:

:(

I would love to buy myself Vita just to play this... and Disgaea 3... and some other games... yeah.
I'm too impatient to save my work money anyways.
this whole fall season is gonna empty wallets lol
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I'm waiting for this before playing the VN. :D
I'd still recommend the VN first, but at the end of the day it's your call. :P
I've already watched the first season and I don't have time to finish the VN before Refrain starts airing. :lol:

There's an OVA that will be released Aug 28th, btw. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

hitman555z wrote:
Flutterz wrote:

P4G will definitely take a while if you are planning on going for all social links, all personas, especially getting the best skills for yoshitsune. if you plan on getting magatsu-izanagi, thats gonna be 2 playthroughs. if you want izanagi-no-okami also, thats 3 playthroughs XD

I'm already something like 70 hours in on my first playthrough, admittedly it's on hard and I'm following some social link guide, so usually it only gives me 1 day per rescue, and I grind for hours with my invigorate personas. xD By the way, do social items carry over from 1 playthrough to the next, or will I need to max all of them again on my second and third playthroughs for the Izanagis?

In other news, I've finished AIR, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the least straightforward Key game I've played. It's still very much a Key game though, so expect some purposely heartwrenching moments. Also the translation is pretty raw, even the newer part of it. Some of the older parts felt as though they were written by someone who doesn't know English very well, and while there's none of that in the newer part of the translation, after being spoiled by Amaterasu's brilliant QC, the rather numerous typos stuck out like a sore thumb.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Never thought I'd be the one asking for help... :P

I'm looking for a good yuri VN (female protagonist, only girls as love interests(okay, maybe one guy)). I want one with a good story, character development and more than one route. It doesn't have to contain sex, and if it does, I want it to me moderate, like in KS.

I hope there is a VN like this. :3

P.S No supernatural shit.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Never thought I'd be the one asking for help... :P

I'm looking for a good yuri VN (female protagonist, only girls as love interests(okay, maybe one guy)). I want one with a good story, character development and more than one route. It doesn't have to contain sex, and if it does, I want it to me moderate, like in KS.

I hope there is a VN like this. :3

P.S No supernatural shit.
I second this request.