Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuNinja

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja »

I've run into bugs in the Shiori route (Kanon) and I need someone to talk to. Someone who isn't afraid of spoilers. :? Send me a PM.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote:Well it seems I won't be able to start reading VNs in Japanese before AIR is translated, because a patch will be released within the next few days. :P
http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... nslations/
I have managed to get to 1600 Kanji though. :D
I hope I can progress as fast as you do, but I end up having a way or two to waste my time.

I still didn't finish Higurashi Kai. (I am at halfway of Tsumi-something)
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Nicendeth

Post by Nicendeth »

With a mere 2 hours to spend, you can enjoy the ride that is Phenomeno.

If you've got an apetite for horror it's simple and very well presented, features the art of Yoshitoshi ABe and brought to you by Nitroplus. I didn't care that it was kinetic, it was still entertaining. They do a really good job with the effects, sounds and art; it has a seamless feel. Definitely accomplished it's goal of getting me interested in the novels. It's also freeware :D
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Nicendeth wrote:With a mere 2 hours to spend, you can enjoy the ride that is Phenomeno.

If you've got an apetite for horror it's simple and very well presented, features the art of Yoshitoshi ABe and brought to you by Nitroplus. I didn't care that it was kinetic, it was still entertaining. They do a really good job with the effects, sounds and art; it has a seamless feel. Definitely accomplished it's goal of getting me interested in the novels. It's also freeware :D
Is it another "Not Safe for Sanity" work by Nitroplus? These were the people who made Saya no Uta *shudders*
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Read about Saya no Uta on Tv Tropes. Sounds like an acid trip.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Nicendeth

Post by Nicendeth »

Steinherz wrote: Is it another "Not Safe for Sanity" work by Nitroplus? These were the people who made Saya no Uta *shudders*
:| ...No? Not to the extent of loli tentacle nightmare fuel but it's got it's own share of nightmare fuel.
It's pretty tense, there's always questions and mysteries, and a couple jump scares and wtf moments make for a solid run of entertainment. It has a neat universe too, focusing on the main character struggling to figure out what he can do about his situation, and the people he consults to get his answers.

Official download link and english patch
(PS: If you think it hasn't worked, the opening line and menu are still in Japanese, so don't sweat it until you get to the text on the black screen)
Last edited by Nicendeth on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

What are some free VN's that are good?
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

YZQ wrote:Read about Saya no Uta on Tv Tropes. Sounds like an acid trip.
It's an unusual VN while also being both short and very good. Great introduction to Nitro+ VNs, I recommend you try it.
LorSquirrel wrote:What are some free VN's that are good?
True Remembrance and Juniper's Knot are perhaps the two best free ones. Narcissu is highly rated around here, so that one is also recommended. Tokyo Alice, Collage and Leaves are pretty popular too, though I never played them.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

AIR translation patch is out! :D http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... -released/ Going to finish the last route of Da Capo and start AIR. :P
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

I've finished Da Capo and it was decent. It felt like it was trying to be Kanon(it even references it a couple of times), but it doesn't pull enough heartstrings to get close to it. :P
Now it's time for AIR. :D
Oh, and apparently Refrain will start airing in October. :)
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote: Oh, and apparently Refrain will start airing in October. :)
I'm waiting for this before playing the VN. :D
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Flutterz wrote: Oh, and apparently Refrain will start airing in October. :)
It can't come soon enough lol

As for the Air Beta patch, can you tell us how it is? I'm in the middle of Umineko but I might look into it later
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Fully translated Grisaia patch got released a few days ago if anyone is interested. Haven't really read any VNs in quite a long while aside from Danganronpa so plan on starting it tonight. Anyone else playing it?
I played every route. It's easily tied for my #1 VN with Katawa Shoujo. Very similar in my opinion. Play it for sure, and then message me what you think! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on it.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

shockzzz wrote:I played every route. It's easily tied for my #1 VN with Katawa Shoujo. Very similar in my opinion. Play it for sure, and then message me what you think! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on it.
Yeah I started it the same day that I posted it actually. Haven't got around to finishing it yet (still on the common route, which is pretty long in this VN), so I'll probably try and do that this week. So far I like it, but it really seems to switch rapidly between hilarious and boring.

I'm surprised that no one else here is playing it considering it's apparently really popular in Japan, and it's a recent translation.
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
shockzzz wrote:I played every route. It's easily tied for my #1 VN with Katawa Shoujo. Very similar in my opinion. Play it for sure, and then message me what you think! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on it.
Yeah I started it the same day that I posted it actually. Haven't got around to finishing it yet (still on the common route, which is pretty long in this VN), so I'll probably try and do that this week. So far I like it, but it really seems to switch rapidly between hilarious and boring.

I'm surprised that no one else here is playing it considering it's apparently really popular in Japan, and it's a recent translation.
I don't remember where I discovered it, but just like KS, when I finished all the routes, I got that "Well now what do I do with my life?" feeling haha. And then I found out that there are 2 more games in this series: "Grisaia no Meikyuu" and "Grisaia no Rakuen."

Tears of joy almost came to my face. And then I found out that the translators aren't even planning on an English patch anytime soon. Seriously soul crushing. Looks like I need a new VN for awhile :(