Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Niall Hamilton

Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Niall Hamilton »

So, in less than a week and a half, I will be interviewing NicolArmarfi, one of the composers for Katawa Shoujo.

If any of you have any questions that you would like to pose to him, let me know and I’ll add them to my list.

I’ll also post the video here once done – and if any of the other developers/contributors are willing to spend 10 or so minutes on Skype, PM me.

Niall
It's only a matter of time
Loonie

Re: Nicol - Interviewing - Any Questions

Post by Loonie »

"What made KS stand out and motivate you to the point where you wanted to stick with it and compose the majority of its soundtrack?"
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

Loonie wrote:"What made KS stand out and motivate you to the point where you wanted to stick with it and compose the majority of its soundtrack?"
That's a really good one actually. Hadn't crossed my mine at all. Will ask
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

"If you were not working full-time during the production phase, has involvement in the project affected (or influenced) your subsequent hunt for a full-time job?"

"If you were, would you get involved with another project of this scale again?"
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
FeroxAnima

Post by FeroxAnima »

Awesome, definitely gonna look forward to watching this :)
I don't really have any questions atm, but if one does come up, I'll come back :P
"May the Force be ever in your favor."
Effie-Wan Trinoby

If you happen to have a spare copy of the Midwinter artbook for sale, I'd be grateful if you let me know :D

That one day was a good one.
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

FeroxAnima wrote:Awesome, definitely gonna look forward to watching this :)
I don't really have any questions atm, but if one does come up, I'll come back :P
Please do.

I also intend to make it something to watch as well - while I won't spoil it - it won't just all be audio.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Niall Hamilton wrote:Please do.

I also intend to make it something to watch as well - while I won't spoil it - it won't just all be audio.
I can't wait. :)
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Seeing as you made the game for free (THANK YOU) what did you do for money ? Where you out sleeping on park benches or something ? Most likely you had a day job but meh it's still worth asking.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

"Who is your favorite character in KS?"
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

MegaMoto wrote:Seeing as you made the game for free (THANK YOU) what did you do for money ? Where you out sleeping on park benches or something ? Most likely you had a day job but meh it's still worth asking.

Probably he's a composer - although unlikely. Will do.

Also, I'll give a few examples that I have

-Inspirations
-How did you get involved with KS?
-How do you go about composing?
-Favorite track - Least favorite - anything you want to redo?
-Beta tracks - Parity/Painful History have at least two beta tracks before the final piece
-Would you work on a large game again
-Anyone you spoke to - how were you told to compose, a certain emotion - etc
-Favourite path/character

There are more indepth ones, but they are at home and I am at work. Deadline will be about Wednesday 14th, as I'll be putting them into a .pdf and forwarding them to him so he can read over them and have some responds or so when we talk

Niall
Weird Heather

Post by Weird Heather »

Here are two general questions that are of interest to me.

What are some of the influences behind your compositions (i.e. composers, particular musical traditions, movies or other media in which music interacts with text and images)?

I am also curious about how the music, text, and images work together. Did you compose any of the music with specific scenes in mind? Or were you composing for particular moods? Or both? Can you point to a specific scene in which you think all of the elements - the music, the text, and the images - are working particularly well together? Finally, how did you and the other developers match the music to the scenes? Was there a lot of debate over the choices?
Jedoisallerfairequelquechose!
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

Weird Heather wrote:Here are two general questions that are of interest to me.

What are some of the influences behind your compositions (i.e. composers, particular musical traditions, movies or other media in which music interacts with text and images)?

I am also curious about how the music, text, and images work together. Did you compose any of the music with specific scenes in mind? Or were you composing for particular moods? Or both? Can you point to a specific scene in which you think all of the elements - the music, the text, and the images - are working particularly well together? Finally, how did you and the other developers match the music to the scenes? Was there a lot of debate over the choices?
Nice, the debating one is one that I had thought of. So, basically, ask him how they match the music to the scene
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

"Why doesn't the box of sound have the full version of Romance in Andante?"

(Which is here, by the way).
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:"Why doesn't the box of sound have the full version of Romance in Andante?"

(Which is here, by the way).
Your amazing! Thanks, I didn't even know that this existed, but that would be really interesting to ask him.
Niall Hamilton

Post by Niall Hamilton »

I have the audio and I've synced it, amplified and compressed it.

However, if we take as every one minute of a video takes 30 minutes to produce, the 24 minutes of audio will take 12 hours to make.

I'm going to upload the audio, with a download to Soundcloud. As a favor, if you guys hear anything wrong with the audio, let me know.

Also, there's a little extra I'll save for the video.

Will post the link to the audio when up