Favorite visual novel?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

maes

Re: Favorite visual novel?

Post by maes »

Tough call on what my favorite would be.

After a little bit of thought, I'd say it's probably a 3-way tie among Ever17, Fate/Stay Night, and Tsukihime though. There are so many that I still need to read though :(
Mike1849

Post by Mike1849 »

"Pure my Imouto Milk purun" and "Pure Moe Angel - Idol Aiko" ... they involve getting with shota idols dressed as female idols
kyuven

Post by kyuven »

Eab1990 wrote:This topic took an interesting turn of events... >_>

Princess Waltz discussion is getting me a little interested in the game now. If only to know which girl is which.

That link looks interesting, but blah, IRC. Ah well. Guess I'll have to re-install.

Oh, Quartett is a game by Littlewitch? Didn't know that was getting translated. I'll have to look into Gadget Trial too, if it's by the same translators as ONE.
Here's a link for Princess Waltz, has some info:
http://www.jlist.com/PRODUCT/P015

Lun Lun is featured in two of the CG samples, vs. just one for the other girls :) (first picture on the second to last row and second picture on the last row if you were wondering)
Also the developers are very, very bad at keeping secrets about one of the main characters...which makes the other one look like a complete idiot for not figuring it out...
Eab1990

Post by Eab1990 »

kyuven wrote:
Eab1990 wrote:This topic took an interesting turn of events... >_>

Princess Waltz discussion is getting me a little interested in the game now. If only to know which girl is which.

That link looks interesting, but blah, IRC. Ah well. Guess I'll have to re-install.

Oh, Quartett is a game by Littlewitch? Didn't know that was getting translated. I'll have to look into Gadget Trial too, if it's by the same translators as ONE.
Here's a link for Princess Waltz, has some info:
http://www.jlist.com/PRODUCT/P015

Lun Lun is featured in two of the CG samples, vs. just one for the other girls :) (first picture on the second to last row and second picture on the last row if you were wondering)
Also the developers are very, very bad at keeping secrets about one of the main characters...which makes the other one look like a complete idiot for not figuring it out...
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I guess Lun Lun looks/sounds the most likable, for now. :)
vaen

Post by vaen »

weirdest part of princess waltz is the battle system where you fight monsters with cards.
I've never played a visual novel that had anything other then simple questions. this game however doesn't really have choices that branch the story (untill the end) and how you do in the battles don't really matter in the game either.

so all in all it's very linear and only at the very end you can let the game known what girl you like best so that decides the ending directly
(choose one girl indirectly by not consistently choosing 1 girl)
I enjoyed myself with it though, especially the many many references to fate stay night were amusing. (references or plain ripping off? dunno)
but 1 of the main characters just didn't tickle my fancy so yeah. mixed feelings.
sex scenes also seem extremely tacked on, also very much like fate stay night.
Last edited by vaen on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody8977897

Post by Cody8977897 »

I would have to say Katawa Shoujo, School Days(though the bad endings were a bit much),Brass Restoration(The bad ends make you feel hurt though), Moonlight Walks, Tsukihime, Moon Phase, and finally Wanko to Kuraso(i loved animal ears and tails so I tried it and loved it :D
I can see the future but know not what is to come...
I know who I am, yet not who I will be...
blakraven66

Post by blakraven66 »

No one liked Phantom? :(
vaen

Post by vaen »

blakraven66 wrote:No one liked Phantom? :(
don't know it. please elucidate.
Eab1990

Post by Eab1990 »

I thought Phantom of Inferno was mentioned before, but I guess not. That was also for sale at Otakon '07, but between that and Ever17... Yeah... >_>
Granado

Post by Granado »

Kana Little Sister.

>.>

<.<

The first VN I ever played and the only to have made me cry manly tears.
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Ever 17 was my first and it is easily the best one I've played.

Based on what I'm hearing about it, I need to play Saya no Uta. And possibly Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
Stupid internet! Why can't you understand how I feel...?
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Piece of Wonder, probably. I'm not entirely sure why, I just kind of like it. Maybe it's the laser eye beams.
kyuven

Post by kyuven »

Cody8977897 wrote:I would have to say Katawa Shoujo, School Days(though the bad endings were a bit much),Brass Restoration(The bad ends make you feel hurt though), Moonlight Walks, Tsukihime, Moon Phase, and finally Wanko to Kuraso(i loved animal ears and tails so I tried it and loved it :D
There's a VN called Moon Phase?
or do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Phase
Cuz...Tsukuyomi was a manga-to-anime, not a VN =x
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

ParagonDoD wrote:Ever 17 was my first and it is easily the best one I've played.

Based on what I'm hearing about it, I need to play Saya no Uta. And possibly Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
Umineko is fantastic, one of my favorite recent VNs. I'll definitely be watching the anime when it starts.

Overall though, Tsukihime is probably still my favorite, between the fact that I've only played 3-4 VNs and how good the maids' routes are. Umineko may beat it out though, once all the games are released.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
Miroku

Post by Miroku »

Hmmm.... out of the games/VNs I've played so far, I'd say Princess Waltz was my favorite. :mrgreen:

I haven't gotten a hold of FSN or Tsukihime yet, so I can't compare any of those to the others. Hitomi ~ My Stepsister ~ was.... interesting. :|