Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Firewind

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Firewind »

Cuteness overload!!!
wazuzu wrote:Can't help seeing her stumble and fall all the time ._.
And would you let her fall? I'd carry her on my shoulders, that would be one hell of a running :P
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Firewind wrote:And would you let her fall? I'd carry her on my shoulders, that would be one hell of a running :P
That's a running gag (sic!), falling Hanako, comical situation, even if I will catch her two or three times, she will fall eventually.
Caden Tiksaril

Post by Caden Tiksaril »

All right, a new personal best! 4.5K completed in one run, so Week 7 is finally down. I can almost taste the 5K mark. Though if the current condition of my legs is any indication, it's a good thing I stopped where I did. I might have injured something if I tried to go 5K earlier than I planned.
- My Youtube, used mostly for my Touhou achievements.
- My Skype name is funen1.
Merloficus

Post by Merloficus »

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

If you're having difficulty completing a run, just switch it down a notch. Everyone's different and these running schemes are just a general guideline. I never even followed them that well and now i'm running 10 km's in 1 go :lol: (started in late March btw, so i took me some time too :wink: )
And for me myself, i was able to finish my 10k in 58 mins 43 seconds. Man was i happy. Best part was i could still go on! :D

@Wazuzu: if you're experiencing heartaches i'd actualy advise not running until you get yourself checked out. We only get 1 life, there's no respawn for us :wink: And we're not always as lucky as Hisao :lol: Make sure you're well and able, and then join us again.
Also, posting how you do and such is prety much what we do here, so no need to hold back on it.

And finaly, ty for the pic Xan! I'll gladly slow my pace for her :)
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Today I was running another 15/5/15. It was really easy, and I might have been able to run for 30 minutes nonstop, yet I decided to try doing so from my next week (lucky number 13).
And there was little kid, approx. 6-8 years old, walking in school yard (where I run) with his mom. Seeing me, little bugger started chasing me until he ran two laps. Then he was jumping around for 15-20 minutes, until he started running in opposite direction, meeting me after half a lap twice. I showed him thumbs up, and he ran away chasing his mom and laughing.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

I really wish I could keep up with this. Maybe someday I'll find a running partner.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

I was running alone all the time. That little asshole wasn't my partner :lol:
You just need to start and to hold onto it for first two weeks. After that it would be really difficult to stop. Running addiction is like 1/10th of opiate addiction (not that I know much about opiate addiction), which is still very-very strong.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

wazuzu wrote:I was running alone all the time. That little asshole wasn't my partner :lol:
You just need to start and to hold onto it for first two weeks. After that it would be really difficult to stop. Running addiction is like 1/10th of opiate addiction (not that I know much about opiate addiction), which is still very-very strong.
You don't think Emi would be upset if I used a bike in the summer months. I bought a expensive bike last year and I need to use it to feel like it was worth my money.
wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

Bike is good too, but you need to pedal for much longer to get desired effect. So, it's good, but as an addition to your sports routine.
Swimming is excellent. I will start swimming when it will become impossible to run (late autumn and winter).
And even plain walking is good. Just be sure to walk for twice more than you would run (aka at least 10 km a day).
Last edited by wazuzu on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

I'll have to try and start again tomorrow because it pouring down fucking rain. *sigh*
ThatWeirdOne

Post by ThatWeirdOne »

Wow, haha! :) That's a neat motivator. :P
Caden Tiksaril wrote:All right, a new personal best! 4.5K completed in one run, so Week 7 is finally down. I can almost taste the 5K mark. Though if the current condition of my legs is any indication, it's a good thing I stopped where I did. I might have injured something if I tried to go 5K earlier than I planned.
Good that you didn't push it, congratulations on the 4,5 km. ^^
wazuzu wrote:Today I was running another 15/5/15. It was really easy, and I might have been able to run for 30 minutes nonstop, yet I decided to try doing so from my next week (lucky number 13).
And there was little kid, approx. 6-8 years old, walking in school yard (where I run) with his mom. Seeing me, little bugger started chasing me until he ran two laps. Then he was jumping around for 15-20 minutes, until he started running in opposite direction, meeting me after half a lap twice. I showed him thumbs up, and he ran away chasing his mom and laughing.

You show that kid how it's done! :P
MegaMoto wrote:You don't think Emi would be upset if I used a bike in the summer months. I bought a expensive bike last year and I need to use it to feel like it was worth my money.
As Wazuzu stated, you can also try to improve your pace on the bike. Good luck on the bike! :P

Well, it's been a while since I posted. It's been, so... so... HOT. Running was incredibly hard in this immense heat (33+- degrees Celsius :( ). But I won from the heat, and now it's back to 22 degrees (though in a few days the temperature goes back to a whooping 32 degrees Celsius)! I now run straight after my morning job around 8 o' clock. It's a shame I can't keep this morning run up though, because in a few weeks my University starts. :D So I plan to go back to my evening runs, which are also cool. (as in, on a cool temperature :p)
Actually is playing the piano/learning/running/bored/chatting with some friends/hanging out with some friends/training/doing something else right now.
Nightfish

Post by Nightfish »

Been keeping to my routine of running about 45 min every other day, slowing increasing the distance I travel in that time. At the moment I'm at 8km or so. Give or take a few steps. The other day I aparatently busted a blood vessel in my foot pretty early on (musta hit a rock or something) and by the end of the run my shoe was leaking blood. That's probably normal. I didn't even notice until I took of my shoe and was like "hm, I don't recall owning red socks". Anyway, by the time it was time to run again, I had all healed up and was back on the track. No pain no gain!
Avalon®

Post by Avalon® »

Since I got a new job that starts early in the morning, I need to wake up really early and I thought of doing these exercises before I go to work. The only problem I have (usually) with exercising is the dieting portion.

Any idea how to help a guy who grew up eating rice as his carb of choice?
ThatWeirdOne

Post by ThatWeirdOne »

Nightfish wrote:Been keeping to my routine of running about 45 min every other day, slowing increasing the distance I travel in that time. At the moment I'm at 8km or so. Give or take a few steps. The other day I aparatently busted a blood vessel in my foot pretty early on (musta hit a rock or something) and by the end of the run my shoe was leaking blood. That's probably normal. I didn't even notice until I took of my shoe and was like "hm, I don't recall owning red socks". Anyway, by the time it was time to run again, I had all healed up and was back on the track. No pain no gain!
Urgh, good that it healed fast! :D
Avalon® wrote:Since I got a new job that starts early in the morning, I need to wake up really early and I thought of doing these exercises before I go to work. The only problem I have (usually) with exercising is the dieting portion.

Any idea how to help a guy who grew up eating rice as his carb of choice?
It's funny how you say that. I actually eat bread in the morning (I don't know if you have bread available?) with peanut butter (that contains no salt), in the morning. I do this mainly for the proteins, and because I like it. :P
For lunch I grab plain rice, and sometimes I'll eat something with it. For dinner I eat vegetables with a good amount of meat, mainly again for the proteins (and because I love meat whahahahaha~ :lol: )!
Actually is playing the piano/learning/running/bored/chatting with some friends/hanging out with some friends/training/doing something else right now.
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Avalon® wrote: Any idea how to help a guy who grew up eating rice as his carb of choice?
fuck i meant to post this a while ago but i guess it might help now. i made a guide about buying running shoes somewhere in this thread if you need help with that as well.

SemisoftCheese's Guide to Eating

So great. You started working out. But now you realized you subsist on Doritos and Mountain Dew and that probably isn't a good road to fitness. How and what do you want to eat to get in shape?

The Science
As boring as it sounds, it helps to know the theory behind what you do. The more you know, the easier it is to rationalize your choices on how you eat. I'll try and keep it fast and simple.

All food is made of calories. Calories come from the latin word calor, which simply means heat. Calories are simply a measure of how much energy your body can get from this food--and serve as a general measure of how "heavy" things are. Eating more calories than you burn will make you fat--whether it's from broccoli or big macs.

But wait! This doesn't mean you can eat 2000 calories of top ramen a day, burn 2500, and call it healthy. Food can further be broken down into three groups.

Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are the most simple foods chemically to break down. "Good" carbs are pasta, rice (more on this later), simple sugars (like the sugar in fruit). In terms of energy, carbs are most quickly converted into energy by the body--athletes ingest tons of carbs. Dieting magazines often demonize carbs because if you don't burn them, they are quickly converted and stored into fat. This is true, but wrong in terms of fitness. Carbs provide energy, and you want energy, don't you?

Protein
Brotein. It comes in shakes, steaks, and other things like fish and beans. As a general rule of thumb, proteins that come from animals (steak) is better than non-animal protein (fish), which is better than vegetarian protein (beans). Why do you need protein? Protein is used by the body to repair muscles. Every time you work out, you're actually creating little tears in your muscle, which are repaired and made stronger. Protein should be eaten around 30-45 minutes after your workout, because there's a thing called "the protein window" in which your body is actively seeking protein to repair your muscles. It's no big disaster to eat it later, but if you can, it helps, and you'll feel better too.

Fats
Fats are an issue of contention. Chemically, fats are just long, complex strands of carbohydrates--and because they're complex, the body takes the longest time to break them down. On the other hand, because they're complex, fats contain large amounts of energy to burn. Should you consume fats? In most cases, no. Fats, while energy rich, tend to have other detrimental effects on your body--trans fats and saturated fats clog your arteries, mess up your blood pressure, etc. There's a clear and solid reason top athletes don't eat Big Macs--because it's better to get the energy from clean, quick burning foods like pasta or grilled chicken. Acceptable fats include omega-3 in fish and the monosaturated fat in olive oil, but these fats are in trace amounts in both foods. In general, the fat from your Doritos and Big Macs is doing nothing but, well, making you fat.

How Should I Eat?

If you've made it this far, another question's on your mind. All this science is pretty boring, but how does that mean I should eat? There are two things to consider here: how you eat, and when you eat.

How you eat is probably the first and foremost question. It's hard to give a dietary plan for everyone, but here are some rules of thumb.

Count Your Calories: Like I said, if you eat 3000 calories of broccoli and yogurt a day, and only burn 2000, you're going to put on weight. Use a website like livestrong to count your calories in your meals. If you're eating too many calories... it's time to change your diet. It's the most simple rule of getting in shape--work out more than you eat.

Eat Fresh Food: Fresh food has a wide variety of connotations. In this case, it means eating basic, classic, clean foods--pasta with tomato sauce, grilled chicken breast--food that people would make on the farm. Food like this is easy for your body to break down because it's clean--there are no preservatives or complex chemicals to interfere with your body. Replace your soda with juice, etc. This also applies to run around like margarine. Yes, margarine is lower in fat than butter. But it really sucks in every other way. Margarine is higher in trans fats, it's made from vegetable oil... just go natural. People have eaten butter for hundreds of years. It's better for you than margarine. Trust me. Eat fresh food--your body will love you for it.

Eat on schedule: Your body has a schedule. You'll figure it out yourself, but there are times your body likes to be fed--in the morning, around midday, and at night. Eating irregularly means that you are putting strain on your digestive system--and it might not get all the nutrition out of the food you're eating. Avoid working out 2 hours after eating, try and eat post-workout, and don't eat before you go to sleep. Snacking is okay, but try making healthy snacks like peanut butter sandwiches or something. Processed foods are often nutritionally bankrupt.

So to finish it off, I'll provide a daily guide of what I eat when I'm in training for cross-country. This is three day's worth of food: pre-race, race-day, and post-race day.

Pre-race Day

Breakfast: 20oz Coconut Water (I'm light on breakfast.)

Lunch: Chicken breast sandwich, some chips, water and juice.

Dinner: Pasta done lightly with a bit of butter and parmesan cheese. Water.

Race-Day

Breakfast: 20oz Coconut Water, 3 Egg Whites

Lunch (Race starts at 3): Half a plain bagel, Gatorade 01 Prime Workout (1 Pouch), probably around 30oz of cytomax.

Race Warmup: 3 CLIF Energy Bar Chews (so I don't get hungry during the race), lots and lots of water.

Post-Race: Bagels, rice balls, Gatorade, Seaweed

Dinner: Steak, Grilled Chicken, some form of green vegetable.

Post-Race Day

Breakfast: 20oz Coconut Water

Lunch: Chicken breast sandwich, maybe a burrito if I'm feeling hungry.

Dinner: Fish, potatoes, maybe some udon noodles or sushi.

So you can see besides race day, my food is pretty normal. I like to drink coconut water in the mornings because it hydrates extremely well. Besides race-day, nothing I eat is super-regimented or complicated--it's pretty basic, simple food. The race-day stuff you probably won't need to eat unless you're competing--it's not really normal food and it tastes pretty awful anyway. But my diet isn't super regimented or anything--it's pretty much whatever I feel like, and I try and keep it healthy. I drink a lot of water. I don't eat McDonald's that much, I don't drink a lot of soda, I work out... and that's how you stay in shape. Not much to it. At the most basic level, burn more calories than you eat.

I can go in depth about stuff like creatine and juice cleanses and paleo diets... but you guys don't really need that. Just burn more than you eat. No need to make it rocket science. Try and eat clean stuff, and burn more than you eat. Take the stairs. You get the idea.

I'm around for questions if you have them.