I finished Katawa Shoujo and can't get my friends to play it

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zatchara

Re: I finished Katawa Shoujo and can't get my friends to pla

Post by Zatchara »

Not an easy concept to dive right into, I'm afraid. BUT I can't blame the creators, because it's handled so well. I just wish a few of my friends that are averse to the setting will eventually give it a try as I did. I mean, I put off playing the game for a year or so and now I love it. it could happen.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Zatchara wrote:Not an easy concept to dive right into, I'm afraid. BUT I can't blame the creators, because it's handled so well. I just wish a few of my friends that are averse to the setting will eventually give it a try as I did. I mean, I put off playing the game for a year or so and now I love it. it could happen.
Perhaps you should shove the download link in their face as a birthday present, and if they decline, give them a USB with the files pre-downloaded onto it. Better yet, install the game and hide it from the computer until then.

It could work.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Zatchara

Post by Zatchara »

Umber wrote:
Zatchara wrote:Not an easy concept to dive right into, I'm afraid. BUT I can't blame the creators, because it's handled so well. I just wish a few of my friends that are averse to the setting will eventually give it a try as I did. I mean, I put off playing the game for a year or so and now I love it. it could happen.
Perhaps you should shove the download link in their face as a birthday present, and if they decline, give them a USB with the files pre-downloaded onto it. Better yet, install the game and hide it from the computer until then.

It could work.
I'd probably just get dirty looks after having gotten them a free birthday present they were vehemently averse to prior. But I've been wrong before, apparently Boba Fett's helmet doesn't qualify as a correct answer in any Math class, WHICH I'M STILL A BIT SKEPTICAL OF
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Try an ultimatum.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Blackmail and incriminating photos have both proven to be effective.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Well I didn't do it but a friend I got:
1. His brother to play it
and
2. A friend of his I don't know
So I kinda did it. I think I'll take credit for it.
give them a USB with the files pre-downloaded onto it
I've done that !
Blackmail and incriminating photos have both proven to be effective.
Blackmail ony works if they don't have stuff on you. :)
Koi

Post by Koi »

Blackmailing is just plain mean. You could simply convince them to do it.
Turn the chessboard around and think why they wouldn't play it. Then show them how wrong they are. It's bound to work.
My last attempt only failed because the guy was terrible at English.
Nightfish

Post by Nightfish »

I actually had this problem with myself when I first heard of KS. But then I stopped to consider that the guy I heard recommend this game has a solid moral compass and I usually agree with him if he says a movie/book/game/anything is good or bad. Maybe you can make a similar case to your friends. Of course that only works if you're not usually someone who says things like "M Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender is the greatest movie ever made!".
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Nightfish wrote:I actually had this problem with myself when I first heard of KS. But then I stopped to consider that the guy I heard recommend this game has a solid moral compass and I usually agree with him if he says a movie/book/game/anything is good or bad. Maybe you can make a similar case to your friends. Of course that only works if you're not usually someone who says things like "M Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender is the greatest movie ever made!".
Somehow I doubt a solid moral compass is in any way relevant to one's taste in entertainment. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Xanatos wrote:
Nightfish wrote:I actually had this problem with myself when I first heard of KS. But then I stopped to consider that the guy I heard recommend this game has a solid moral compass and I usually agree with him if he says a movie/book/game/anything is good or bad. Maybe you can make a similar case to your friends. Of course that only works if you're not usually someone who says things like "M Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender is the greatest movie ever made!".
Somehow I doubt a solid moral compass is in any way relevant to one's taste in entertainment. :lol:
It is if they liked Avatar.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

MegaMoto wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
It is if they liked Avatar.
Nobody liked Avatar.

"But Xanatos, I liked Avatar!" - Congratulations, you're nobody. :P
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Well, just think of all the ways you ended up getting into it.
I ended up finding Katawa Shoujo through Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei-- okay, I'd like to quickly go through the path.

1. Listen to SZS (favorite series) music on Youtube, comments say "I got here through Katawa Crash"
2. Watch recommended video with Katawa Crash, comment says that Katawa Crash was inspired by Nanaca Crash/ People get mad and say it's inspired by Katawa Shoujo
3. Play Nanaca Crash
4. Play Katawa Crash, not sure why everyone is doing the things that they do so I...
7. Download Katawa Shoujo

The best thing to do is somehow get them to notice it. Make them curious. For me, I was curious to what a SZS song would have to do with this...Katawa Crash and that eventually got me to Katawa Shoujo.
Do not bombard them with Katawa Shoujo stuff, but maybe show them something that might get them to want more of it or look into it? You know your friends better than I do, so what that would be is up to you.
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Tell them that it's a combination of catharsis and fap candy.

You won't convince them, but you'll get to use a big word. Catharsis.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

HarvestmanMan wrote:Tell them that it's a combination of catharsis and fap candy.

You won't convince them, but you'll get to use a big word. Catharsis.
Cathartic fap candy.

Sold.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

For the prudish, cathartic candy will do it justice too.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."