Buncha random questions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bliisk

Buncha random questions

Post by Bliisk »

1. Is it just me or did/does anyone find Katawa shoujo more interesting than 90% of all other games I've played/owned (especially weird considering i've never played any other games of this kind).

2. Did anyone else use a walkthough on their first playthrough, I dont know why I opened it in the first place but since then every time I came to a choice I couldnt resist going to the opened tab not wanted to eventually get the bad end (that I no doubt would've gotten).

3. How long did it take you guys to complete a playthrough generally? Just curious cos it took me 3 days to finish one.

4. Does anyone else not have the music loud if on at all while they played, i always have a habit of listening to random songs or videos while playing games but I feel like i would be missing out if i dont listen to the music.

5. What order are you doing / have done, im intending hanko (done) , rin (atm), shizune, misha, emi, lilly.
Mranth0ny62

Re: Buncha random questions

Post by Mranth0ny62 »

1. it's completely normal, don't worry ;)

2. personally I did the first time but now I'm not doing it

3. 5 hours 12 minutes in-game for lilly

4. everybody should have their sound on.

5. I've watch Milbee(YT) doing a playthrough, I've watched about 55% of the story, does that count?
if not then it's lilly<emi(currently doing, boring IMO)<rin<shizune<hanako
also, there's no route for misha ;)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Bliisk wrote:1. Is it just me or did/does anyone find Katawa shoujo more interesting than 90% of all other games I've played/owned (especially weird considering i've never played any other games of this kind).

2. Did anyone else use a walkthough on their first playthrough, I dont know why I opened it in the first place but since then every time I came to a choice I couldnt resist going to the opened tab not wanted to eventually get the bad end (that I no doubt would've gotten).

3. How long did it take you guys to complete a playthrough generally? Just curious cos it took me 3 days to finish one.

4. Does anyone else not have the music loud if on at all while they played, i always have a habit of listening to random songs or videos while playing games but I feel like i would be missing out if i dont listen to the music.

5. What order are you doing / have done, im intending hanko (done) , rin (atm), shizune, misha, emi, lilly.

1) I don't know 90% of the games you've owned so I can't answer that... My smartass nature aside, I can't accurately recall 90% of games I've played either but the most interesting thus far has been Bioshock Infinite.

2) Cheating wuss. :P

3) Couple hours.

4) If the music is off, you're a worse person than Hitler. It's just a fact.

5) Emi, Hanako, Lilly, Rin, Shizune. And you can't access Misha's route because it's in a box.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Bliisk wrote:1. Is it just me or did/does anyone find Katawa shoujo more interesting than 90% of all other games I've played/owned (especially weird considering i've never played any other games of this kind).
More or less. Actually after playing this game, I've begun to hold other works to this standard when it comes to characterization.
You're both a cheater and a coward. :P
No idea. i didn't keep track of the time.
You would be missing out. Play the game, listen to the music, and you can save your Slim Shady, Bjork, and Garth Brooks for later. They totally wouldn't fit the mood anyway. (You have weird tastes in music by the way.)
Hanako... either Rin or Emi, I forget which, Shizune, Lilly, and then Kenji.
Not Dead Yet
Bliisk

Post by Bliisk »

Huh didn't realise there was no misha route then, also I guess I really do have to listen to the music, dont want to be worse than hitler now do I.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Bliisk wrote:Huh didn't realise there was no misha route then, also I guess I really do have to listen to the music, dont want to be worse than hitler now do I.
Misha is around enough in Shizune's route anyway. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

1. I certainly do. I'm not much of a gamer to begin with, but the ones which have always gotten me were the ones with tons of drama and emotion. The older Final Fantasies, and The Walking Dead for example.

2. I did a few times. Mainly just to find out how to get on certain girls tracks.

3. Don't recall exactly. No more than two days at most. Once I started I tended to barrel my way through. Had to find out what happened next.

4. Had to have the music playing. Most of the time it enhanced the mood, and the last thing I wanted was other music or video taking me out of the story. When I'm readign something, I want to feel like I'm there inside the story.

5. Emi, Hanako, Rin, and Lilly.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Xanatos wrote:

1) I don't know 90% of the games you've owned so I can't answer that... My smartass nature aside, I can't accurately recall 90% of games I've played either but the most interesting thus far has been Bioshock Infinite.

2) Cheating wuss. :P

3) Couple hours.

4) If the music is off, you're a worse person than Hitler. It's just a fact.

5) Emi, Hanako, Lilly, Rin, Shizune. And you can't access Misha's route because it's in a box.
All these answers are pretty good although I thought The Last of Us was more interesting then Bioshock. However that is not what this forum is for. Huh is you just moved Lilly to the back we played in the same order.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

1. I consider myself a gamer but KS was my first Visual Novel. Other games I have enjoyed, even adored, include Mass Effect and The Walking Dead among others.

2. I whipped out the walkthrough to get 100% after I finished reading all the girls routes. I agree with what Xan said.

3. 7+ hours for most routes over the course of a few days.

4. Music was on the entire time. I again agree with Xan.

5. My first time playing (if I recall correctly) went Emi --> Shizune --> Hanako --> Lilly --> Rin
MrZAP

Post by MrZAP »

1. It's definitely a great game. While I'm inexperienced with VNs in general I do play games mostly for story (and strategy, but that's different), so I took to it very well. I don't know if I would consider it a favorite or not.

2. I've used a flowchart starting with my third arc just so I could get 100% without having to replay all over again (though I've got to do that with Emi and Hanako anyway...). I'll probably replay them a while from now after the memory has faded. I won't use a flowchart then.

3. So far maybe 6-10 hours per arc. It varies because sometimes I'm doing other things while I play.

4. I always keep the music on for games. I don't like substituting the scores given. I like film and game scores quite a bit in any case.

5. I've so far done Emi, Hanako (though I have to go back and do neutral and bad endings), Manly Picnic, and Shizune. Currently on Rin and will do Lilly last. Aside from Manly Picnic I've just been doing them in order, though I didn't decide to do that until I was midway through Hanako's arc; it just turned out that way through in-game choices beforehand. I think this works especially because based on personalities it also feels like I'm going for people least compatible with me to most (well, aside from Kenji...).
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

1. I don't know what games you've played or owned, but it was pretty interesting. I wish there were more attempts by game makers to present us with interesting characters and unusual situations.

2. I used the flow chart to get onto Shizune's route.

3. I'd play for an hour or two every day or so, so about a week per route.

4. I have the music at moderate volume so it isn't distracting. It should be providing flavour and atmosphere, not the focus. Whether I play my own music in other games depends on the other game's own music. I'm the only person I know who uses the 'race music' in Forza 4, for example, but the previous two games I always used my own playlists.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I more or less agree with Xanatos, as usual.

NEVER. USE. A. WALKTHROUGH. >8/
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

I dunno. In the mid-2000s, I would spend hours reading visual novels on a computer, including both translated games and EVNs. Ever since getting a broadband internet connection, my attention span for games and VNs has decreased. In the last few years, I've only read a few for PC, such as Jisei, Winter in Fairbrook, Number Days Sim Date, Love & Life, Edelweiss, and Canvas 2. Maybe it's because I make arbitrary distinctions between freeware and commercial VNs. (I've spent a large amount of money on localized and indie visual novels, and expect more from them.) Maybe it's because I'm spending more free time with my computer browsing fan sites and posting on forums. Or maybe it's because I'm weary of spending time inside with a computer or a console. I'm making efforts to catch up with real life friends and get outside more.

One other thing: Sturgeon's Law ("Ninety percent of everything is crap") affects us all. Doesn't matter what it is, when it was made, or where, or how. You can apply it to any media category, style, or format.
Koi

Post by Koi »

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Not long enough...time flew by. :lol:

4. The OST was absolutely beautiful, you WOULD be missing out.

5. I started with the choices I'd normally make, and then went with who interested me the most. Emi -> Shizune/Misha -> Rin -> Lilly -> Hanako
Nightfish

Post by Nightfish »

Same here. I'm still trying to figure out why exactly this is. My best guess is that it's a lot of little things put together and I am seeing only half of them at best.
Bliisk wrote:2. Did anyone else use a walkthough on their first playthrough, I dont know why I opened it in the first place but since then every time I came to a choice I couldnt resist going to the opened tab not wanted to eventually get the bad end (that I no doubt would've gotten).
Actually I did look up one thing, as I was completely unfamiliar with VNs before this. Namely I was confused why I ended up with Emi even though I had been spending most of my time with Hanako. I wasn't aware that this was an all or nothing choice, I thought Hisao could work out in the mornings and still spend most of his time elsewhere.
Bliisk wrote:3. How long did it take you guys to complete a playthrough generally? Just curious cos it took me 3 days to finish one.
All in all it took me a little over a week. For one, I don't have the time to play that I used to. Mostly, though, I kinda needed a day or two after finishing a path to think about the things that happened.
Bliisk wrote:4. Does anyone else not have the music loud if on at all while they played, i always have a habit of listening to random songs or videos while playing games but I feel like i would be missing out if i dont listen to the music.
Yea, I definetly left the intended music running for this game. Not something I usually do. But of course in this game the music is quite important as it sets the mood.
Bliisk wrote:5. What order are you doing / have done, im intending hanko (done) , rin (atm), shizune, misha, emi, lilly.
Hanako - Emi - Lilly - Rin - Shizune.